Hardrive won't recognize disc

edited September 2009 in Hardware
Have an older Fujitsu seimens laptop from Germany, came with windows 98 i just erased the hard drive with Dban auto nuke and wanted to put Linux on but the HDD won't recognize any disc, and they are proper boot discs. I can't get any menu to show up it just shows up with the computer specs and thats all..

Comments

• RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited August 2009
    Have you checked the boot sequence in the bios?
  • edited August 2009
    RichD wrote:
    Have you checked the boot sequence in the bios?

Won't even let me get to the bios...
  • edited August 2009
    Rich i'm sorry, When i tried the other day it wouldnt let me it would keep repeating the system info no matter how soon i hit any key. I did get to the bios and the cd-rom is already set to the first spot.. Doesn't seem to work. It wont even let me change the boot sequence..
  • Nate_LapTNate_LapT Ferndale MI. Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Is the lens dirty? you said its older. maybe it just cant read any of your disks, you could also try net installing though you'll need a pxe server or floppy to start that.
  • edited September 2009
    Nate_LapT wrote:
    Is the lens dirty? you said its older. maybe it just cant read any of your disks, you could also try net installing though you'll need a pxe server or floppy to start that.

Well i did just wipe out the HD with a cd.. it read that on start up no problem. There is no floppy drive surprisingly and i cleaned the lens and tried a few disks.. just dosnt want to cooperate.
  • edited September 2009
    AHH finally its working now to find an OS for it..pentium III 128 mb ram.. i'm assuming its 500mhz and not sure the hd but i know itll be sufficient. Any suggestions?
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Linux is probably about the only thing that you'll get running on hardware that old. Even finding a Linux distro that will play nice on that probably won't be easy. Technically, it meets the minimum system requirements for Xubuntu but I don't know how well it will run.
  • edited September 2009
    ardichoke wrote:
    Linux is probably about the only thing that you'll get running on hardware that old. Even finding a Linux distro that will play nice on that probably won't be easy. Technically, it meets the minimum system requirements for Xubuntu but I don't know how well it will run.

thanks, I put on puppy linux.. running alright now