What are some of the strange things you've eaten?

DogDragonDogDragon Jacksonville, Fl
edited September 2009 in The Pub
Here some things I ate;
turtle (fresh & salt water), frog, crawdad, Cajun crayfish, frog's legs,
squirrel, dove, pheasant, bear, shark, escargot, whelk, possum,
conch, abalone, sea urchin, mountain oysters (not really oysters),
1000 year egg (black, kinda rubbery it was a dare), rabbit.
Tried em all and lived! By the way, if you're ever on the Florida
Turnpike between Orlando and Miami, get off at Yeehaw Junction.
There is an ancient rickety hotel there at the crossroads that
features a Florida Cracker platter.....softshell turtle, frog's legs
and catfish. Major yummyness!!

Comments

• ObsidianObsidian Michigan
    edited August 2009
    I ate raw salmon once... never again:range:
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA
    edited August 2009
    I had guinea pig once, it tasted a lot like beef jerky. Really was rather tasty.

I know I had something really bizarre at a Chinese restaurant in downtown Chicago's chinatown, but I don't remember what it was. I just remember it having the most bizarre texture, but great taste.
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast
    edited August 2009
    Man, that place that Jim mentioned in Yeehaw Junction, I can't recommend enough--just bring Rolaids :-p
  • MrTRiotMrTRiot Living in the North
    edited September 2009
    I had peaking duck at a buffet once....I was sick for 3 days :(
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited September 2009
    Snail, Horse (sooo good), snake, octopus, squid, bear, dear, moose, elk, ostrich, caribou, crawfish, and probably my favorite alligator. One week in New Orleans and I think I had alligator almost every day and always wanted more. So good.
  • DogDragonDogDragon Jacksonville, Fl
    edited September 2009
    kryyst wrote:
    Snail, Horse (sooo good), snake, octopus, squid, bear, dear, moose, elk, ostrich, caribou, crawfish, and probably my favorite alligator. One week in New Orleans and I think I had alligator almost every day and always wanted more. So good.
    I also eat squid, octopus and gator. Octopus I haven't made my mind up
    on yet, But baby octopus is great and fried squid rings and gator I can't
    get enough. Glad I live in Florida you can get them two things almost anywhere.:D
  • DogDragonDogDragon Jacksonville, Fl
    edited September 2009
    Obsidian wrote:
    I ate raw salmon once... never again:range:
    guess you're not a sushi fan. But I do Love sushi and can roll my
    own rolls, but that don't really make it cheaper than going out for
    it. When you figure the cost of everything you need to get to
    make it at home.
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited September 2009
    tried Gator,horse,ostrich,kangaroo,octopus, squid, mussels,conk fritters,dolphin fish (ie not dolphin), ,cockles and winkles but the PWNS YOU NOOBLETS Moment must be Proper Haggis you really don't want to know whats in that ;D:zombie::crazy::eek2::rockon:
    edited September 2009
    DogDragon wrote:
    guess you're not a sushi fan. But I do Love sushi and can roll my
    own rolls, but that don't really make it cheaper than going out for
    it. When you figure the cost of everything you need to get to
    make it at home.
    No, I actually love sushi. I eat eel, fried crab, squid, and pretty much everything else my local restaurants serve. I just can't stand raw salmon, so gross.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi
    edited September 2009
    SPIKE09 wrote:
    Proper Haggis you really don't want to know whats in that ;D:zombie::crazy::eek2::rockon:
    I fully know what is in that.. but I don't want it.
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX
    edited September 2009
    I think Haggis is improper, no matter how proper its creator claims it to be.
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited September 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    I think Haggis is improper, no matter how proper its creator claims it to be.
    they do vegetarian/vegan haggis now not quite sure which vegetable is supoosed to be the sheep's brain etc :bigggrin:
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI
    edited September 2009
    sea cucumber, beef tripe, cow tongue, cow heart, chicken feet (the palm of chicken feet fried, very good), live squid, gator, Pangolin, shark fin, bird's nest (swallow), Hasma (dried fallopian tubes of the hermaphrodite frog), and so on.
    edited September 2009
    leishi85 wrote:
    (dried fallopian tubes of the hermaphrodite frog)
    DING DING DING! I think we have a winner folks. I guess what most people would think is the strangest thing I've eaten is lobster brain, just because most people think brains are gross.
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England
    edited September 2009
    SPIKE09 wrote:
    Haggis you really don't want to know whats in that ;D:zombie::crazy::eek2::rockon:
    It's no worse than some of the other travesties Scotland has produced.... :P
    edited September 2009
    There is absolutely nothing wrong (taste wise) with a deep fried mars bar. They are fantastic. They will kill you, but you'll die with a smile on your face, well until the grimacing pain of the heart attach kicks in.
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England
    edited September 2009
    kryyst wrote:
    There is absolutely nothing wrong (taste wise) with a deep fried mars bar.
    True, there is however a quite a lot wrong with the lunatic that came up with the idea (same goes for pizza crunch) :p
    edited September 2009
    Personally I'm a big believer in trying to deep fry anything. I mean people probably scoffed at the first person to deep fry a turkey and fire dept's everywhere shudder in horror. But the fact remains deep fried turkey is awesome.

Speaking of deep frying a personal favorite of my own divination (though apparently I've heard I'm no longer alone in this) is a deep fried bacon dog.

You take a hot dog wrap it in bacon and deep fry it for about 30 seconds. Put it on the bun add your favorite fixin's and oh sweet ecstasy.
  • lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited September 2009
    I've never tried that, but that sounds amazing.

*scuttles to buy a deep-fryer*
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX
    edited September 2009
    Sounds like poor man's bacon-wrapped pork tenderloin.
    edited September 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    Sounds like poor man's bacon-wrapped pork tenderloin.

Nothing wrong with poor man's food. Plus why would you want to wrap bacon around a pork tenderloin. Pan sear it in some good spices then slowly broil it off in the oven in some Canadian Club (or your whiskey of choice) and some apple juice. Oh it's like candy, you better believe it.
  • rolleggrollrolleggroll Next to a bowl of rice
    edited September 2009
    True story: I ate my own pet dog once. Forgot what breed but it was some mutt. It was Euthenized with vinegar to marinate after not feeding it for two days. Stewed with tomatoes, green peppers, yellow onions, potatoes and carrots. It was delicious.

Other weird things: Bat meat (lol irony there is barely any meat in that.) bat brains in soup (whole bat, you gotta crack open the brains and slurp it). Alligator, bear, rabbit, reindeer, octopus, deep-fried praying mantis, steamed-cat (as in real cats) buns, 1-day old pigeon, turtle, snails (bleh), live shrimp.
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA
    edited September 2009
    I need to go out eating with Eggie. This bitch will try anything twice.
    edited September 2009
    Crazy Asians.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI
    edited September 2009
    I think I was a Filipino in a past life.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA
    edited September 2009
    Alright, let's get Snuffie injected with vinegar and see how tough Eggroll is.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI
    edited September 2009
    .... GACK