Advice on Linux

ledbetterledbetter Chattanooga, TN
edited September 2009 in Science & Tech
Does anyone have any experience with the Linux OS? In particular, SUSE Linux. My instructor told me she's been using it for years and it has a very user-friendly interface. I've just stared researching the details, so any advice is welcome.

Comments

• lunchb0xlunchb0x Lansing, MI New
    edited September 2009
    I've been using linux as my desktop OS for about 4 years, I've used OpenSUSE in the past and it's not bad for an RPM based distro. Personally, I prefer apt based systems (Debian, Ubuntu, etc), but that's more personal preference than anything.

Beautiful thing about Linux is that if you don't like the distro you're on, there is nothing stopping you from wiping clean and starting over.
  • ledbetterledbetter Chattanooga, TN
    edited September 2009
    Debian has a lot to offer, but has an insane amount of packages. Do you have any advice about downloading and installing.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Lots of packages is a good thing, means that whatever software you're looking for is more likely to be prepackaged and just a single command away from installing. Most of the packages are only installed if you request it. If this is your first foray into Linux, I strongly suggest you consider Ubuntu (or one of it's derivatives such as Kubuntu or Mint) as they are much easier to install and get up and running.
    edited September 2009
    Ubuntu is ready to boot from my flash drive. I've never installed a second OS on a PC. Is there anything I should know before hand?
    edited September 2009
    Backup everything you don't want to loose. Setup a machine to dual boot is tricky business, especially if the computer is currently in use. I've lost dataz before because of this. If you're installing Ubuntu to second drive, than it shouldn't be an issue. But if you're installing to the same drive as your (what I'm guessing is) Windows install, you can Break Everything TM.
    edited September 2009
    Ubuntu makes it quite easy actually. They also have great documentation and the people in the forums are very friendly and helpful for the most part. I would suggest at least taking a look at this documentation before starting the install process so you have a good idea of what you're doing. Probably the most important part is the Partitioning information.
    edited September 2009
    I only have one HDD and it just finished with a lengthy partition. Would it be better to install Ubuntu on a second HDD?
    edited September 2009
    It has it's advantages. Installing it on a different partition on your existing hard drive should be fine though. Is all the space in your current hard drive already partitioned out? If so, you'll have to resize your current partition(s) so that you have free space to install into. The guide I posted earlier walks you through doing that both in Vista or during the Ubuntu install.
  • Nate_LapTNate_LapT Ferndale MI. Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    ubuntu should have a quite visual installer. along with very visual partitioner, which should show you how big each one is, where its located and its name you assigned it within windows. when you create your linux partition you will delete a partition (wiping all data on that partition) then you should let ubuntu (distro of choice) auto partition until you fully understand how linux partitions work.

Linux generally has 3-6 partitions, /, /swap, /boot, and if partitioned how its supposed to, /etc, /home, /tmp, /usr, /root, /var, and many more.

But yeah, if you have a test machine, use that. if not install a vm, or take the plunge and partition and dual boot.

Good luck.
    edited September 2009
    For a home install, you really don't NEED to have a bunch of partitions. Ubuntu defaults to 2 (1 swap partition, then the root partition which is analogous to your C: in windows). If you feel comfortable doing so, I would suggest making a swap partition (traditionally this should be between 1 and 2 times the size of your RAM), a root partition (10G SHOULD be more than enough) and a /home partition with the remaining space you want to use for Linux. This will allow you to easily preserve your home folder which has all your settings for Gnome and whatnot if you decide to try another distro or just wipe the linux part and start over.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Having a /home partition has saved me MANY a time. Do not do without.

My installs all start with /, /home, /swap, and occasionally /boot. Root, home, and swap are all you REALLY need.
    edited September 2009
    +1 on /home being its own partition. I swap out distros on my netbook on a semi-frequent basis, and having the /home be its own thing makes things a lot easier