Suggestion on putting together a new Home Theater System

leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI
edited October 2009 in The Pub
As some of you might know, i'm currently in china. I am getting my apartment renovated at the moment. After the renovation is over i will be buying and putting in a all new home theater system.

So far, i have picked out the speaker system i want, and the AV receiver i want.

for speakers, i want the KEF KHT3005 either the first editon or the SE.

for the AV receiver, i will probably get the Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K

I still have not picked out a TV, I would like some of your suggestions and opinions on which TV to get, and opinions on the speaker and receiver i have picked out.

Ideally, i would want a 46in TV, prefer it to be LED back-lit. I would prefer if the cost for the TV stayed between 2000usd to 2500usd.

I will be hooking up my xbox 360 to the system as well, and also, running a cable from my office computer to the system in the living as well.

So, all of you experienced folks, give me some suggestions.

Thanks.

Comments

• edited September 2009
    Have you considered picking up a Myka.tv box instead of running a cable from the computer? They're inexpensive and their specs are quite impressive, it's on my list of things to get for my home theater.
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI
    edited September 2009
    i was actually considering getting a WD HD tv box thing, but i will still have my computer connected as well, since during the renovation, i had the electrican run the cable already, so it's all nice, and under the flooring.
  • rolleggrollrolleggroll Next to a bowl of rice
    edited September 2009
    The only advice I can offer you is to:

1) Dont forget twist ties/velcro ties. Make it neat and tidy the first time around.

2) Get one of those cd's/dvds/etc. that tests the center, left,right, surround speakers so you can arrange your speakers to have better acoustics.
    edited September 2009
    The only advice I can offer you is to:

1) Dont forget twist ties/velcro ties. Make it neat and tidy the first time around.

2) Get one of those cd's/dvds/etc. that tests the center, left,right, surround speakers so you can arrange your speakers to have better acoustics.

no twist ties/velcro ties needed, as all the cables and wires are already hidden, either in the walls or under the flooring. I tried to put all those things in place during the renovation period. all the cables and wires are routed to a central location, where i will place most of the equipments (the receiver, xbox, dvr, and such).

as for the cd/dvd that test the center, left, right and such. that is why i'm thinking about getting the pioneer receiver, it has that function builtin.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan
    edited September 2009
    I like Denon receivers. I use one and love it. This model supports all audio formats, 7.1 surround @90w per channel, and has a lot of awesome features.
    http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/4858.asp
    -Runs about 600usd here in the states

For speakers i looked at the ones you are thinking about and looking at them i dont really like a few things. The the tweeters are integrated into the mid range woofers for one. I would assume space is an issue for you so i would look at Klipsch's Quintet SL series. If you have some room and want great sound B&W's 600 series or Klipsch's reference series speakers are great. Depends on your budget most of all.

TV = http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/tv-video/televisions/led-tv/UN46B8000XFXZA/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail
    edited September 2009
    MAGIC wrote:
    I like Denon receivers. I use one and love it. This model supports all audio formats, 7.1 surround @90w per channel, and has a lot of awesome features.
    http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/4858.asp
    -Runs about 600usd here in the states

For speakers i looked at the ones you are thinking about and looking at them i dont really like a few things. The the tweeters are integrated into the mid range woofers for one. I would assume space is an issue for you so i would look at Klipsch's Quintet SL series. If you have some room and want great sound B&W's 600 series or Klipsch's reference series speakers are great. Depends on your budget most of all.

TV = http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/tv-video/televisions/led-tv/UN46B8000XFXZA/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail

forgot to add one thing in my first post, the look of the speakers are equally as important as the sound quality, and i have look at your klipsch quintet SL series, i don't really dig that look, got any other recommendation?

my apartment is renovated to be the very modern, minimalistic look btw.

and the samsung TV, is that the one with side LED, or backlight LEDs?
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan
    edited September 2009
    That tv is LED, and i have went and watched it at best buy and it is amazing.

Is this an apartment where you can modify the walls? In wall speakers are about as minimalist as you can get.

http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/r-5502-w-overview/

If not, B&W makes some, what i suppose are, more stylish speakers.
    http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/display.aspx?infid=1185
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL
    edited September 2009
    I have the 6000 version of that Samsung LED TV and it is all kinds of awesome... Samsung LEDs all the way!!
  • l3it3rl3it3r Fairfax County
    edited October 2009
    Denon and Pioneer are nice, but Yamaha beats them both in quality and wattage. My Yamaha receiver is a couple years old and was out before HDMI was mainstream in AV equipment, but there's a new version of it out now. I have the RXV1500 which is 120W by 7, the newer version of this receiver is about as powerful and has all of the HDMI goodies you'd need. Granted, these are in the 'next level' of pricing.. the RXV1500 successor was around $1200 at bestbuy if I remember correctly. The RXV1500 itself was 800.

The greatest thing about the Yamaha receivers is that you have absolute flexibility with inputs (pioneer is also very good at this) and some of the cleanest power levels available in consumer level equipment. I can turn the receiver to '0' while watching "Cars" on Blu-Ray and I get absolutely NO distortion or feedback. 0 is so loud that I can't hear MYSELF yelling, let alone anyone else. (and it goes MUCH louder)

Either way you go though, all the new hardware out there have some amazing options and you'll probably be happy even if you went with a HTIAB solution from Bose.

edit: Apartment.. right, so loudness isn't really that important..