Server2008 - System state backup fails SOMETIMES (WBAdmin)

osaddictosaddict London, UK
edited September 2009 in Science & Tech
Every night the system state is backed up on one of our Server 2008 servers.

The exact line of code used to create this backup is:
wbadmin start systemstatebackup -backupTarget:%backuptarget_system% -quiet > %bls% 2>>&1

Now, this worked fine on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday last week. It failed on Wednesday, with no changes ran fine on Thursday, and failed again on Friday. What it will do tonight/tomorrow I don't know.

I've just run the system state backup manually now, using this code:
WBADMIN START SYSTEMSTATEBACKUP -backuptarget:D:

And it worked fine.

As this works most of the time and fails only sometimes it makes me pretty certain the code used in the .cmd file is correct.

I've looked in the event viewer for potential problems around the time the task is scheduled, alas nothing comes up.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing it to fail every so often?

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited September 2009
    The only things I can think of would be file lock, or unable to connect to the target destination.
  • DJ_EvergreenDJ_Evergreen MB, Canada Member
    edited September 2009
    My backup in Windows 7 does the same thing. Kinda weird. I haven't figured it out either. Wonder if it's a bug in the program?
  • osaddictosaddict London, UK
    edited September 2009
    It's now worked for the last few days, so whilst it's not overly satisfactory at least we have up to date backups now. The thread I made on Technet is still up, and a Microsoft guy was helping me diagnose the problem, but all avenues have lead to dead ends at present :/