Rockband or Guitar Hero

jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
edited September 2009 in Gaming
Quick question.

My little bro finally went over to college and gave me his Wii since he only plays his 360.

I really just wanted it so I can play RB or GH since I do not own a console.

So, if I understand things right, Guitar Hero peripherals work with Rock Band but not the other way around?

Plus, I will still need another guitar either way right (for bass + guitar)? Third party, RB, GH?

And it sounds like it's all a matter of preference, GH world tour or Rock Band?

I know at ICHQ RB2 seemed to always be the fav...

Either way I guess it's going to be ~200 bones for the bundle + extra guitar.

So all you console peeps, chime in :)

cheers :Jared:

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Rock band.

The track list is way better.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    I prefer Rock Band for the game, but GH peripherals in general are better. Greatly prefer the guitars from GH to the mushfest that is the RB guitar.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Definitely go Rock Band... Like you said the GH controllers work with RB...
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Rock Band.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Rock Band.

Better track list, outstanding DLC options (thought I don't think they exist on Wii), does the 'band' part much better than Guitar Hero in my opinion.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    No DLC for either game on Wii :-/
  • OhmecksOhmecks Orlando, Florida Member
    edited September 2009
    I don't think the instruments are cross-compatible on the Wii. While I can't link to the actual charts at the moment, I can link you to this blog post that conveniently rehosted the charts.

As for my opinion, I'd have to agree with what everyone's saying so far. The Rock Band tracklist is definitely better, though I like downloading video game tunes other people have made on Guitar Hero World Tour. I'm not sure if Rock Band has a feature like that, so I'll let others say.
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Thanks for the advice.

I was probably going to get Rock band 2 anyways. I looked at getting the Beatles Rock band just because the peripherals looks so sweet, but it isn't worth the $250 over the usual $159 for the bundle.

Stupid Wii. Looking at the compatibility chart it seems that nothing is cross compatible. Damn.
    edited September 2009
    There's DLC for RB2 on the Wii - I've played it.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited September 2009
    There's DLC for GH too on the wii, since GH4 anyway, though it's not as consistent as RB and GH DLC isn't always compatible between versions also unlike RB.

But yeah Definitely RB. The game is more polished, the track listings are infinitely better and the song mapping feels better as well. Plus personally I actually prefer the instruments. I find the GH drumbs to be top heavy and bouncy and the GH guitar cripples my fingers with the button spacing and the damn click, click, click of the strummer is irritating to no end. The RB1 guitar kinda sucked, but the RB2 guitar is awesome.

Admittedly at first I thought the RB guitars were weaker then the GH guitars, but once I started playing them, there's just no going back and the RB 2 drumb's feel way better. Throw some cymbals on and a double kick if you wanna go pro-star.
    edited September 2009
    Excellent.

I will start hunting for the RB2 Wii bundle and an extra RB guitar soon...

cheers guys :jared:
    edited September 2009
    To me, it felt like the RB guitar got it exactly backwards - the fret buttons were clicky, and the strum bar was mushy. Clicky frets lead to staccato motion, when I want fluid motion (especially when doing hammer-ons and pull-offs). A mushy strum bar gives me no feedback on when I've triggered the note, and if I want to slap at it (I have interesting play styles sometimes), it's hard to be certain I've triggered a note.

Different strokes, to be sure, but the GH guitar seemed designed with musicality in mind, and the RB guitar just got it backwards to me.

Congrats on your impending purchase, Jared!
    edited September 2009
    Yeah I am now about to be in 2005! :D
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Horses mouth - http://www.rockband.com/compatibility

Best route is to buy Guitar Hero World Tour full set and then Rock Band games on the side as you can then use your instros on either game.

Couldnt find info on GH5 compat but that doesnt sound like the route you want to go anyways.

-Bobby
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    i actually like guitar hero set list better from gh2 than any rock band, but it had more "metal" songs in it. World tour sucks except for the tool songs. and gh metallica is Fing awesome.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    I am one of the few people who actually prefers the RB guitars. I like having the buttons lead into each other. It makes it easier to slide my hand on the fret board during a quick succession of notes. I've never liked the raised, independent feel to the GH buttons. Sure, makes it easier to feel the buttons without looking, but it just trips me up in fast situations. I don't mind the click in RB.

I think I'm still indifferent about the strum style though. I hated RB's lack of a click at first, but now I don't think twice about it. It kind of forces me to pay closer attention to the beat of the song without the click to assist timing in long successions.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Bock Band Guitars, Drums and Mic confirmed to work with Guitar Hero 5 by Activision.

http://tinyurl.com/kratcp

-Bobby
    edited September 2009
    Guitar Hero 5 is also compatible with all Rock Band guitars.

awesome!