Wanna start folding, need some help

helicon1984helicon1984 Sovici, Bosna i Hercegovina
edited September 2009 in Folding@Home
Hello people. I'd like to start folding finally on my new computer (i7 920, 4870 512MB, 6GB RAM, Windows 7 RC 64-bit) so I'm wondering what's the best way to do it on my comp? About a month ago I started folding for the first time. I installed the console client only as it says in your guide and I created four 'Folding' folders etc. and so on, but I had to reinstall Windows 7 RC 64-bit and I haven't folded since. The first time I did it when I opened Task Manager it showed around 50% CPU usage with, for example, Firefox and TweetDeck running and the i7 920's temp. was around 68-71 C. So, should I install the console client again or something else? Also, what's the best monitoring program because I've tried FaHMon and it didn't work, and all those links to Electron Microscope in your Folding guides don't work anymore?

Comments

• _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Go here http://folding.stanford.edu/English/DownloadWinOther download the SMP cleint, MPICH, and the binary file right below it. Also download the very top client which is for your GPU. http://folding.stanford.edu/English/WinSMPGuideMPICH#ntoc3 that is for installing the SMP client correctly, its for vista but installs the same for win7. Make sure you have close to the latest drivers for your 4870 before installing the GPU2 client.

I think those temps are kind of warm for a 920 at stock speeds, but I would have to do some checking.
  • helicon1984helicon1984 Sovici, Bosna i Hercegovina
    edited September 2009
    Why both the SMP and the GPU client? These are high perf. clients so is it 'safe' to run with those temps I mentioned?
    edited September 2009
    http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=132278 Check this thread. Your temps are a little high. Are you on the stock cooler, you might want to make sure you have good contact and that the paste has not shifted? The GPU client is fine to run, just check the logs for the first couple of days to see if you are throwing any NAN errors or EUE errors because that will show if you are having a heat/stability issue with the video card.

Realistically if you are going to be folding I would say always go buy an aftermarket cooler for the proc. I would any way with the 920 because there are some beast of coolers for that socket and I like to OC stuff. You have a really good board for OC. Spend some time running something that logs CPU temp and figure out what your idle core temp variances are as well as load because this will give you a better idea of what is really going with your temps.
  • helicon1984helicon1984 Sovici, Bosna i Hercegovina
    edited September 2009
    Yeah it's the stock cooler. Idle temps are always around 39-41 C and although it's not THAT high with this proc. I'll probably buy a better cooler soon.
    So, I should just install the GPU client for now?
    edited September 2009
    At least and since heat is a concern with the cpu currently we can do twoish things: Install the single core client off their main download page or go ahead and install the SMP client but do not set the -smp flag so it only runs on one core(same as a single core client) OR install the smp client all the way but set the CPU usage to say 50% since the temps at the level are fairly safe. The CPU usage might be in the advanced props during the config process.

With the GPU client check this thread and specific these two post, 1 and 2. There is a link to a folding forums thread which that place should become your friend because there is a lot of buried information there.