Great Horror Game Suggestions

ObsidianObsidian Michigan Icrontian
edited October 2009 in Gaming
I've never really liked movies or games designed to scare me. The whole thought seems pretty bizarre to me but since reading Lynx's article on Kosakovia I've decided I want to really give one a shot.

Since I don't have Half Life 2 Episode 2 and am naturally opposed to mods I'd like some advice on which to play. I'm easily turned off by bad graphics and presentation hopefully the game will be somewhat recent. I know there are plenty of old, creepy games so that rules out a lot of them. I don't want creepy; I want shit my pants scary. I also don't play any consoles now so PC only, please. Make me jump, scream like a pansy, not sleep for days, whatever, bring it on. I'll say thanks in advance because I probably won't want to later once you pick guys pick out a game for me.

Comments

• TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    The natural choice is F.E.A.R. The grpahics are still decent and if you'd rather you can skip to the 2nd for a more recent game, but you will miss out on a decent amount of story.

Also, why are you opposed to mods?
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Yep, F.E.A.R. should do it.

Condemned can also get pretty freakydeaky, but I don't know if it's full-on horror.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    I thought Penumbra was pretty creepy. Not sure if it will warrant your playing it though. I only played it a little bit then got bored/frustrated with it.
  • TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Winfrey wrote:
    I thought Penumbra was pretty creepy. Not sure if it will warrant your playing it though. I only played it a little bit then got bored/frustrated with it.

Man, I really need to sit down and play through Penumbra. I bought the pack as part of a steam sale and barely played an hour of it :/
  • ObsidianObsidian Michigan Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    The natural choice is F.E.A.R. The grpahics are still decent and if you'd rather you can skip to the 2nd for a more recent game, but you will miss out on a decent amount of story.

Also, why are you opposed to mods?
    I played FEAR 2 and wasn't at all scared. Hopefully the first is better? I'm opposed to mods because A: They tend to have low production values being made by small groups of people with small amounts of funding over small periods of time and B: I don't know, I just am.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Fear 2 was freaky but not as much as Fear 1
    edited September 2009
    Meh, it was definitely gory but I wouldn't consider it scary or even very "freaky". Maybe slightly creepy in the school.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    FEAR will scare you. I consider it to be the scariest thing I've ever played, or even experienced for that matter (sans getting lost in the slums of Chicago, and getting lost in the South Side of Los Angeles at E3.)

Some would say Bioshock is a good scare-game. I didn't find it very scary myself, others found it horrifying.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. was a fun FPS with some really good scares in it. a lot of the things in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. are psychological and interacting with the unexpected. It's kind of a niche game though. I loved it, but some don't seem to 'get' it.

DOOM 3 has some classic-type scares. Monster closets, loud noises, ect. I love FEAR better because they play with your mind and make it significantly harder to guess when a scare is coming up. DOOM 3 had some predictable moments, but averaged some good scares regardless.

Remember, the effectiveness of scary games is enhanced by how much you're will to 'participate', if you will. Only play at night in a darkened room, crank the audio up, sit close to the display, no distractions, ect. You have to want to be scared, rather than trying to make the game prove itself.
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    UPSLynx wrote:
    Some would say Bioshock is a good scare-game. I didn't find it very scary myself, others found it horrifying.
    Another vote for not so scary, still a great game which stuck a good balance of creepy moments/gore and good old FPS action.

If you want to be genuinely scared go play System Shock (2) with the lights off and sound up. Yes it's an old game but it's a classic :D
    <object width="425" height="344">
    Edit; Forgot to mention Dead Space, mate of mine hails it as the second coming, I never bothered to get it though so can't really tell you if it's any good.
    </object>
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Dead Space = Resident Evil in space

it's pretty good, the scares wear off after a bit though. Same monster in the closet tactics as Doom or Resident Evil.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    I would be playing FEAR for its great scare tactics and awesome game play style if mas0n wasn't a douche and still "looking" for the CDs when he borrow the FEAR set from me.
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    The first FEAR was a lot more of a psychological scare than the second. The second was more about how much blood they can throw at you rather than scare factor. I remember there was one horror game (can't remember the name right now.) that would make it look like your game had crashed. That was always fun.
  • MyrmidonMyrmidon Baron von Puttenham California Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    I would have gone with Doom3 as well. I seem to be the only person that had a serious problem with F.E.A.R. Couldn't stand the AI or the storyline (motives and voice acting were positively painful), although the horror aspect was moderately frightening.

I think the real secret may just playing horror games in the dark, alone, with surround sound. What really did it for me in Doom 3 was being a kid in the basement in the middle of a thunderstorm. An imp screamed at my back left (where the lightswitch in the office was), the lights in the game went out, and then the LIGHTS IN MY ACTUAL ROOM went out. I only realized it was the power going out when a few seconds later the computer died, too. Scared the CRAP out of me.
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    That would have been the greatest game ever if that was actually part of the game for everyone.
    edited September 2009
    I think you can download the mod for it somewhere. :P
    Koreish wrote:
    That would have been the greatest game ever if that was actually part of the game for everyone.
    edited September 2009
    I played Bioshock when it first came out. It was pretty good but I don't think it was very scary. I think I got a little past half way through Dead Space before I got really bored. Has anyone played Condemned? That seems like it might be what I'm looking for but I haven't tried it.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Play Resident Evil 1 in the basement with the lights out at 2 AM when you're 12 years old. Trust me it's terrifying. Or the Fatal Frame series.
  • StarmanStarman Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Silent Hill 1 is the most frightening game I've ever played. It has MGS1 graphics, but it still scared the hell out of me when I first played it in 2006. I know it's a console game, but I don't think F.E.A.R even compares. I did like F.E.A.R. though.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited September 2009
    System Shock 2 has to be one of the best scary games, Buts its graphics have really started to show there age.

Most recent scary one ive played with dead space, It was solid.

edit: Fear is not a scary game, Neither is doom 3, If your scared by either your a very easily scared person.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Obs, I mentioned Condemned above. It's pretty good.
  • GrimnocGrimnoc Marion, IN
    edited September 2009
    Aliens vs. Predator 2, specifically the Marine campaign.

*I'll go with the minority here and say that while F.E.A.R was pretty creepy at parts, I wouldn't consider it outright scary.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Only one video game has ever scared me: the original Doom.

I think it was more of a "right game at the right time" sort of thing; no game before Doom ever tried the "ravenous demon lurking behind a dark, silent corner" bit. It was a first, and really opened my eyes.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Might sound kind of weird, but the original Half Life was great for me on that end. Not necessarily Horror, per se, but the game was so immersive (even when I was playing it in 2002, which was the first time I had the time to sit down and really play through it) that every little thing jumping out gave me a start for a while.
    edited September 2009
    GrayFox wrote:
    edit: Fear is not a scary game, Neither is doom 3, If your scared by either your a very easily scared person.
    Grimnoc wrote:
    *I'll go with the minority here and say that while F.E.A.R was pretty creepy at parts, I wouldn't consider it outright scary.

You guys are both nuts.

I don't scare very easily (that said, I'm not a 'super cool tought guy' either) and FEAR has been one of the most effective at getting me. Again, it's all about how you play it, and you're willingness to participate and want the scare.

Myrmidon - The AI in FEAR was particularly good, if I remember correctly. I know many people praised the game for it's AI and it's tactics in gunfights. what didn't you like about it?
    edited September 2009
    Although it's been a few years, I seem to remember being very nonplussed with enemies being too clairvoyant. I ALWAYS try to play FPSs stealthily, I love getting a good position or being sneaky first. Like I said, a few years, so I can't remember exactly why I was nonplussed.

In addition to the AI, I remember hating the dialogue and voice acting. Maybe I'll reinstall and boot the game up just so I can bitch about it. :)
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited September 2009
    If you've got a console and can find a version for yours I've found Fatal Frame to be about the scariest game I've ever played.

As for Fear I never really found it scarier either. It has some good shock value, but never really found it creepy, the 2nd one was even less so.
  • GrimnocGrimnoc Marion, IN
    edited September 2009
    Might sound kind of weird, but the original Half Life was great for me on that end. Not necessarily Horror, per se, but the game was so immersive (even when I was playing it in 2002, which was the first time I had the time to sit down and really play through it) that every little thing jumping out gave me a start for a while.

I can definitely agree with you there. Though it wasn't a horror game, or even traditionally "scary" for that matter, it somehow still managed to get under my skin. Maybe it was just the constant isolation and the feeling that it just went on and on (due to how Valve designs their "levels"). I'm not sure what it was but I was quite creeped out at points, of course I was also much younger which may have helped.
  • StarmanStarman Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    I don't get the scariness of HL1. When I first played it, it was exciting, but not scary. I think you move too fast to get really scared. You can outrun practically any threat other than the Marine grunts (because they have hitscan guns) and without the sense of being unable to easily escape danger, the only option left for horror is an ambient horror, which is arguably present in Xen, but I didn't feel it myself.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    The problem with games being scary is they are often so action oriented that they are not given enough time to build enough tension. Time to connect with the character, actually feel like it will be a loss if they die, its all so hard to create when gamers demand constant action.

I liked Parasite Eve on the original playstation because it was a game that took its time building that tension so that the scares were fairly effective, but the gameplay suffers as a result.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parasite_Eve_%28video_game%29

I will say, the first time I played the original Call of Duty on PC, I had this sense of immersion where life and death actually felt like it mattered. So while it had no elements of horror, it did provide a tension packed experience that close calls would sometimes scare the player.
    edited September 2009
    Myrmidon wrote:
    Although it's been a few years, I seem to remember being very nonplussed with enemies being too clairvoyant. I ALWAYS try to play FPSs stealthily, I love getting a good position or being sneaky first. Like I said, a few years, so I can't remember exactly why I was nonplussed.

In addition to the AI, I remember hating the dialogue and voice acting. Maybe I'll reinstall and boot the game up just so I can bitch about it. :)

A Myrmirant!

I never felt the fear and tension of Half-Life, but that's easily attributed to the fact that back then in 1999-2000, I used to cheat in games. it was all sv_cheats 1, impulse 101, and god for me. And noclip from time to time. It was pathetic. So I beat the game, but none of the atmosphere mattered to me.

I have since changed my ways.