freezing/crashing with 9000Pro

qwikkqwikk po-town, nh
edited December 2003 in Hardware
seems whenever I try to play any game (CS, D2, Wolf:ET) the game will either freeze after a short time, or my computer will lock up or restart itself. I've tried just about every driver for my 9000 Pro, but still have the problems. it's pissing me off since I can't play any game for more than a half hour at most.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    Check thy memory.... www.memtest86.com

What are your temperatures like? Perhaps your video card is going caca....
  • qwikkqwikk po-town, nh
    edited November 2003
    memtest checked out fine, not sure how to check my video card temps.
  • Al_CapownAl_Capown Indiana
    edited November 2003
    Download a program like Rage3DTweak from rage3d.com. Try underclocking the card and see if that helps out. Problem could be cooling and perhaps that would help determine whether or not you need to rma it. Check and make sure the fan is spinning.
  • ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    It almost sounds like insufficient or fluctuating cpu voltage/a bad overclock -especially the part where the computer restarts itself - though it certainly could be the vid card. Running any monitoring that shows your voltage rails?
  • qwikkqwikk po-town, nh
    edited November 2003
    I haven't tried to overclock it, so a failed attempt couldn't be it.

here's MBM, I don't really know what to make of the voltages, other than some of them aren't what they're supposed to be...
    mbm.jpg 14.6K
  • qwikkqwikk po-town, nh
    edited November 2003
    just opened up my case, don't have a fan on the card itself, but the AGP fan is not spinning. not a good sign I believe. should I just replace the fan and see if it remedies it?
  • CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    sounds like the northbridge fan
  • qwikkqwikk po-town, nh
    edited November 2003
    keto had this to say
    especially the part where the computer restarts itself

the only reason it restarts itself is because of the Windows Auto Restart thingy, I shut it off for a while and my comp would last longer, but I ended up getting BSODs left and right.
  • qwikkqwikk po-town, nh
    edited November 2003
    the one that says Gigabyte AGP 8x on it is the one that isn't spinning, the beastly loud Tt one is. from what Cam tells me it's the Northbridge, hell if I know what that is. ;D

I don't know if the voltages are any good either, but if replacing the Northbridge fan = win, I'm all over it.
  • qwikkqwikk po-town, nh
    edited November 2003
    forgot the pic. :D
    fan.jpg 194.4K
    edited November 2003
    Yup, that would be the northbridge fan, the motherboard chipset (Via, I think) is underneath. Time to remove the fan and heatsink, put something else on there.

Your +3.3v (less important) and +5.00v (MORE important) voltages are quite low, and if this screenshot is at idle, they could be even worse under load. Pretty much ignore the -12.0 line. Time to look for a PSU also.
  • CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    that's definitly your Northbridge fan, if that thing isn't spinning, you're gonna want to either replace the fan or just get a bigger heatsink for it with passive cooling, but, the HS on there isn't adequate by itself
  • CreepCreep Hell Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    #1 plug your North Bridge fan into another 3 pin connector to make sure it's the fan and not the connector.
    #2 if you are using an AMD CPU make sure you have AT LEAST a 300w PSU.
    #3 go to the Mother Board Monitor site and find the sensors that mesure the CPU temps. Make sure you are using the right sensor.

The constant reboots leads me to think the PC is over heating. Weather it be the north bridge or the CPU I am not sure. The VCore is about the same a 2000 Palamino Core Athlon would be and if it's anything like my 1900 it runs HOT! Full system specs would be a plus too! That's always helpful in troubleshooting a problem like this...
  • qwikkqwikk po-town, nh
    edited November 2003
    well I just went and bought a new fan for the northbridge, it works, playin games now to see if it's back to normal.
  • qwikkqwikk po-town, nh
    edited November 2003
    I for one can't believe it, but it's still happening. mainly with DAoC and D2, CS has been running fine.
  • qwikkqwikk po-town, nh
    edited November 2003
    Creep had this to say
    Full system specs would be a plus too! That's always helpful in troubleshooting a problem like this...

Athlon 2100+
    512MB DDR2100 Crucial RAM
    WDD600
    WDD1200 w/ 8MB cache
    brand new 350W generic PSU (got it with my case)
    Gigabyte GA-7VAXP
    edited November 2003
    Well....it could be a lotta different things. Video drivers, among others. But I'm looking at your MBM and suspecting the power supply.

2 things stand out - 1) your 12v line is WAY high @ 12.91, if that is indeed set up for the correct sensor - buy I've never come across TOO MUCH voltage and don't know what the possible side effects could be. This leads directly to 2) your +5v line, which is showing at 4.85v. If that's at idle, chances are very good it's dropping even further under load (gaming) and causing the crashes due to insufficient voltage, especially to the cpu.

You say you just got it, do you have your 'old' (assuming here) power supply? Was it running these components previously? If so, I'd swap it in and take out the generic, it's worth a try.
  • qwikkqwikk po-town, nh
    edited December 2003
    update: I opened up my case to check if the cpu fan was spinning after it shut down once more as usual. my finger ended up slipping and I sliced it on the fan pretty bad, and the fan is broken. put the stock fan back on. somewhere in me breaking the fan, my computer decides it won't even boot to windows anymore, it will restart before it loads it all the way. coincidence or not, I'm getting really pissed off. here's the other piece. if I leave my comp off for a few hours, it will load windows, but will restart after a half hour, hour, depending on if I'm doing anything or it's idling.

so I finally decided to take keto's advice and put in the old power supply, which is only 200W, so I hooked that up to just the essentials, and I get the same effect. no clue wtf is wrong, might try and reformat once it will boot up so I can save some of the stuff I need.

:sad2: