Running Quad core cpu on FAH

GattsuGattsu Orlando, Florida Icrontian
edited October 2009 in Folding@Home
Has anyone been successful in running FAH on all cores of a quad core cpu with the smp client. I would love to get the most out of my core i7 rig. However I have not been successful in getting more than one core at 100%. Does anyone have a link to a well written guide online or maybe you have figured it out yourself. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    All you should have to do is set the SMP flag in the client. Run it again in config-only mode (FAH-blahblahblah.exe -configonly), and when you get to the part where they ask you if you want to add any extra arguments when you start the client, say yes and add "-smp" in there. The part where you add extra arguments may be hidden behind the "advanced configuration options," so if you don't see it by the time you get to that prompt, say yes to it and continue forward.

When you next start the client, you should see all four cores going wild.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    However I have not been successful in getting more than one core at 100%.
    And you won't. All four cores processing together, cumulatively, will be approximately 100%.
    edited October 2009
    Uh, that's incorrect, Leo. If you run the SMP client with the -smp flag, all four cores will be utilized at 100% individually.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    Not on my systems. Under what OS? I'm running XP.

Maybe we both are right. In Windows Task Manager, in the Processes view, it shows all cores cumulatively at close to 100%. In the Performance view, it shows all cores at peak - 100% or close to it. Is that what you meant?
    edited October 2009
    Under Vista and 7, if you get a System Utilization widget, I see all four pegged at 100% when running in SMP mode. I recall the same thing under XP. You're right that to Windows, it just looks like something is using 100% of the CPU, so it splits the total computing power such, but yeah - if you look at a core level, all of them are running at 100%.