Why Bing sucks

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited January 2011 in Internet & Media
None of these companies get it. Whenever a new search engine appears, they have one chance to impress me. If they fail on that first try, why would I switch from Google?. Google works....

Case in point:

Google Image Search on my name:

GIS_bambrozy.jpg

Relevant; I appear several times in there. The first result is a picture of me. It works.

Now, Bing:

BING_bambrozy.jpg

In the entire search, I do not appear anywhere. In fact, several pictures are of people that are a) not me and b) photographs that I didn't take.

The little girl in the tree? I didn't take that photo, yet Bing attributes it to me. If you click through, you WILL see a photo that I took, and it IS attributed to me, but Bing somehow screws that up.

Bing? You have failed to impress me. You ruined your chance.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2009
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    Bing travel is awesome.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    EXACTLY, Thrax. I DIDN'T TAKE THAT PHOTO. It's brilliant! :rolleyes:
    edited October 2009
    Newsflash: You're not the only Brian Ambrozy.
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    I don't know what yal are talking about. I love using bing to google things. It's great for googling.
    edited October 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    Newsflash: You're not the only Brian Ambrozy.

That picture is from a page in which the photo above the one on bing is actually from Brian. This photo is credited to a woman.
    edited October 2009
    (Ironically, when I first went to load bing, I entered "bing.google.com" into my address bar. Heh).
    edited October 2009
    That picture is from a page in which the photo above the one on bing is actually from Brian. This photo is credited to a woman.

Yes, I know. However I am simply saying that there are other people named Brian Ambrozy that are taking pictures. Clicking on any of the pictures on the Bing results clearly indicates that.
    edited October 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    Yes, I know. However I am simply saying that there are other people named Brian Ambrozy that are taking pictures. Clicking on any of the pictures on the Bing results clearly indicates that.

No. There can be only one.
  • jj Sterling Heights, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    I wasn't know you were the ONLY Brian Ambrozy in the world. Your right why doesn't the search engine know you personally.

Since I'm a guy who says stupid shit sometimes...I can recognize this is pretty dumb.
    edited October 2009
    Show me another photograph taken by a different Brian Ambrozy.

There aren't any.
    edited October 2009
    here's the thing: Each image on that page can be somehow traced to me; but it is not the MOST RELEVANT THING.

Either my name appears on a page with the image in question, or it is a picture I am loosely related to, such as Popcap images of Zuma's Revenge.

Point being: They are NOT USEFUL RESULTS.

It doesn't MATTER if I'm the only Brian Ambrozy in the world; what MATTERS is that Google gives me RELEVANT results and Bing does not.
    edited October 2009
    If I'm looking up Brian Ambrozy on the internet I'm not looking for relevance. I'm just bored...lol
    edited October 2009
    photo_by_wendy.jpg
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    I see Google has a much higher Brian Ambrozy Indexâ„¢ (BAI).

While I initially was cynical about "hey guys, I can't Bing myself nearly as well as I can Google myself," you're right. Google's results make more sense.
    edited October 2009
    Fried spaghetti makes Prime go crazy
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, trust me, this is not about me; I'm simply using myself as an example.

The Bing results are not nearly as relevant as the Google results. Don't get fixated on the fact that I searched for myself.
    edited October 2009
    Perhaps the reason Google gives better results is because you have a business connection with them. I search my name and the relevance is similar.

I asked a little baby about Brian Ambrozy and it said nothing...because it's a baby. Conclusion...don't use babies for internet searches. Use Google it's better
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    Wow... Your assessment of Bing is spot on there Brian. I just did the same experiment with my name. The first results on Google were My facebook picture, my twitter avatar, my myspace picture, a couple related twitter pictures, my last.fm picture then it went to other, somewhat related pictures. The Bing results? Some pictures of various buildings in Las Vegas, a high school football team photo (someone with a similar, but not the same, name was on the team) some random female from Facebook... pretty much totally unrelated. That's enough proof to me that I don't need to switch to Bing.
  • TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    When google goes sentient, maybe we'll look back on this thread and think 'Man, if I had only switched to Bing....'
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    Searched on bing and google for me, found 1 pic on each different pics but only 1 on each.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    Prime, I find much the same thing on the search algorythem. Google's is obviously a bit more refined.

I will say two things for bing that I do enjoy. One, the video search UI is epic. Being able to mouse over and get a preview, huge improvement when looking for online video.

Also, the map service attached to bing, I think its more detailed and actualy turns up better details than Google maps and mapquest. Its my new go to for an online map service.

All and all your right about the search algorythem, it fails to return results that are as relavent as Googles, but if your searching for video, or need to print a map, give bing a 2nd chance on those items, see what you think.
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    I know at least 3 developers who bailed on Google maps and re-worked their web apps using the bing/ms maps. They said the maps/api are fantastic. Haven't messed with it myself though.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    bing has incredible photography for their design layout.

that's the only part I enjoy.
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    shwaip wrote:
    Bing travel is awesome.

Truth. Only reason I ever go to Bing.
  • edited October 2009
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    I like this game, and I think I win -

Snarkasm%20-%20Bing%20Images%20-%20Mozilla%20Firefox.png
  • WagsFTWWagsFTW Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    When I did a search for my username on both bing and google, they showed up similar results. It's the image search that blows me away. Bing only had one image of me (an old one with Andrew) and Google found a lot (most from my flickr site).

Very interesting.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    I am jumping on the boat here. Apparently it excludes _ . When I search for _k_ it apparently only searches for k, so it won't pull up my IC profile in bing unless I search for my aim SN.

And I found out something sucky, my Hardforum profile is returned in a higher position in the google search than IC
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    Google even wins the battle of my username. Bing seems to assume I'm just misspelling a search for the vegetable whereas Google asks me if I am but gives me results for my username.