190 series nVidia drivers

danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
edited November 2009 in Science & Tech
For some reason with Windows 7 RC1 x64, when I install the 190 nVidia series drivers, they don't initialize properly, and I get a black screen (with a flashing cursor), then after the hard drive stops, I see the keyboard lights (which is actually on the reciever) flash and then Windows freezes. Then I have to restart windows (which freezes after a bit), then on second restart, I do the recovery console, and then all is good.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    190 didn't work well for me either.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    They work fine for me in default but I am stuck on a screen flicker when I turn on SLi. I have tried the .38 and up with the same results.
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited August 2009
    I even uninstalled the older drivers I had and then let windows install its default (the ones from June 6th) and tried installing these and no go. Currently running on the ones available through Windows Update. (186.35 - July 9th)

Does it matter that I have a MSI 9600GT OC?
    edited August 2009
    So... nobody has an idea why this is happening, or what to do about it?

What about getting an ATI Raedeon 4870 Video card? How good are these?
    edited August 2009
    Well update the bios on the motherboard, I know but it does work some times.

The 4870 is a really nice card and it will be a big improvement over the 9600GT.
    edited August 2009
    _k_ wrote:
    Well update the bios on the motherboard, I know but it does work some times.

The 4870 is a really nice card and it will be a big improvement over the 9600GT.

Well, I did update the BIOS on my Gigabyte board to the latest version, and that didn't help (I figured it would help, which is why I checked for a newer version). I do tend to get "Video driver stopped responding" with the 186.18 and .35's, but this is after the computer being on for a few hours and running a game or Second Life for a couple hours, but its completely random when it does happen.
    edited August 2009
    If you have a codec pack or something of that nature uninstall it just to try and figure out where it is coming from.....and people play Second Life.....
    edited August 2009
    _k_ wrote:
    If you have a codec pack or something of that nature uninstall it just to try and figure out where it is coming from.....and people play Second Life.....

If you notice, I didn't put Second Life under games, so you don't technically "play" Second Life. Also, I have Quicktime, K-Lite Codec (CCCP was almost never kept updated), Real Alternative, CoreAVC h264 installed as codecs, always making sure they are the latest versions. Never had the problems previously until the 186.18's and later.
    edited August 2009
    Only suggestion I have left is to unload K-Lite Codec pack and see if the problem continues, simply because I know K-Lite includes codecs that have caused issues before. If Thrax chimes in he would say uninstall all your codecs and when you need one find out which one and load only that one.
    edited August 2009
    He would indeed say that.
    edited August 2009
    Well, since Second Life uses only Quicktime and the "Video Driver has stopped responding and has recovered" messages occur only when running Second Life, its possible that its Quicktime? (version 7.6.2)

Also, it occured once when the Vivox voice server that Linden Labs uses for voice chat within Second Life had crashed.
    edited August 2009
    Sure start there, remove quicktime.
    edited August 2009
    Well, would I then install Quicktime Alternative? Also, would uninstalling Quicktime fix the problems with installing the 190 series drivers?
    edited August 2009
    Hopefully it would fix it.
    edited August 2009
    Well, I uninstalled Quicktime, then reinstalled it, the "Video Driver has stopped responding and has recovered" doesn't happen anymore. Though still can't install the 190 series drivers.
    edited October 2009
    I should note that the problem was my MSI 9600GT OC video card, I do not get this problem with my BFG GTX260 OC
  • edited October 2009
    I went back to latest 186.XX driver with my GTX260. Fallout3 was stuttering/crashing terribly with both the latest and previous 190 series drivers.
    edited October 2009
    I should probably note that all my 190.x issues were resolved with the 191.03 drivers.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    Is anyone going to give the beta 195.xx drivers a try?
    edited October 2009
    Me, of course. :D
  • edited October 2009
    csimon wrote:

I tried in Win7-x64 with GTX 260-216@725/1450/1200. Just like the previous 19x drivers, Fallout 3 still stutters, Crysis benchmark is still 5% slower. I am back to 186.18 again. But going back was proplematic. After uninstalling the beta drivers, rebooting and reinstalling the 186.18 driver, I started to receive the error message "Error in NVCPL.DLL Missing EntryNvStartupFirstRunAfterInstUserAccount". Obviously, Windows was keeping an incompatible DLL and mixing with the older driver. It has to be smart and helping, you know.
    I have uninstalled 186.18, rebooted into Safe mode, used DriverSweeper 2.0.5 to clean everything Nvidia, and rebooted normally to install 186.18. This fixed the error. This is the third time I am going back to 186.18 :rolleyes2 Fourth time, this graphics card is sold.
    edited October 2009
    I had none of the above issues.
  • edited October 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    I had none of the above issues.
    Do you mean that you are playing Fallout 3 and it is not stuttering with your computer? Did you benchmark against 186.18 with Crysis? I would be very much interested to see your results since it could help me resolving the problems with 190 series if they are specific to me.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    I am running 191.07 in windows 7 ultimate 64bit & have not had any issues with any games :) I blame your OC on your card :)

I should note I am installing the 195.x drivers as we speak :)
  • edited October 2009
    I am running 191.07 in windows 7 ultimate 64bit & have not had any issues with any games :) I blame your OC on your card :)

I should note I am installing the 195.x drivers as we speak :)

Please test with Fallout3 if you can. That would help me a lot. My overclocked card can run Furmark and Crysis benchmark forever. With 186.18 drivers, Fallout 3 runs butter smooth too.
    edited October 2009
    Have to re install it :) forgot I even owned it :)
  • edited October 2009
    Have to re install it :) forgot I even owned it :)

Sledge, thanks for even considering reinstallation. But I understand if you don't want to pollute your system with a game you don't play.
    I found a thread on this issue, the link is below.
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=306622
    edited October 2009
    yup Fallout 3 does get some shuttering frames... but only once in awhile.
  • edited October 2009
    Thanks for helping, Sledge. I will keep trying the later versions.
    edited November 2009
    csimon wrote:

Probably not till it goes WHQL final.