Upgrade the Windows 7 RC to retail

Comments

• Richard_ConnecticutRichard_Connecticut Hamden, Connecticut
    edited October 2009
    I had problems even after following the instructions. However, I found that I did not follow the instructions to the letter. There happens to be more than one Current Version in my registry. I had to find the one that was in the Windows NT folder. I hope my error can help someone else. Thanks again, Richard
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    I am having difficulty with step 3. Cracking open the registry on the Release candidate box. Is this on the system or part of the 7 DVD? Is there a specific line to type in after regedit in the command line?

It's on the RC box, and there's nothing else to type after "regedit" and pressing enter.
    edited October 2009
    I had problems even after following the instructions. However, I found that I did not follow the instructions to the letter. There happens to be more than one Current Version in my registry. I had to find the one that was in the Windows NT folder. I hope my error can help someone else. Thanks again, Richard

Yes, it's very important that the "current version" in the Windows NT folder get modified. :) It's why I bolded that line in the registry.
    edited October 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    Yes, it's very important that the "current version" in the Windows NT folder get modified. :) It's why I bolded that line in the registry.

I had no idea I would find the "Current Version" in more than one folder. I did a search and found that I was in the wrong folder. I successfully upgraded/downgraded RT Ultimate to the end version of Windows 7 Professional. Regardless of your superior intelect, it woud be interesting to me how you came across this very valuable work around. Inside information, colaboration? Thanks again, Richard
    edited October 2009
    A little trial and error, and a little inspiration from a workaround that allowed Ultimate users to upgrade to Enterprise a few months back.
    edited October 2009
    Brilliant!! Thanks again, Professor Richard
    edited October 2009
    You're welcome, Richard! :D Thanks for registering.
  • edited October 2009
    What is the Windows RC BOX? It's not a physical package, Where do I find it specifically.
  • edited October 2009
    Thanks for the pointers. You just saved me many hours of pain going from Windows 7 RC Ultimate to 7 Home Premium final - and it worked without a hitch. All my applications seem to work perfectly fine post-upgrade.
    edited October 2009
    What is the Windows RC BOX? It's not a physical package, Where do I find it specifically.

Box is another word for computer.
    edited October 2009
    technabob wrote:
    Thanks for the pointers. You just saved me many hours of pain going from Windows 7 RC Ultimate to 7 Home Premium final - and it worked without a hitch. All my applications seem to work perfectly fine post-upgrade.

Glad Icrontic could help! :)
  • edited October 2009
    For goodness sake spend the extra $100 and have a clean install. You have W7 RC free for a year! Nothing is free in this world. Enjoy. Garry
    edited October 2009
    What are you going on about? Nobody is using this guide to get anything for free.
  • bob
    edited October 2009
    stupid question for step 2: do you need a separate program for this, if so, where do I download it?

thanks
  • bob
    edited October 2009
    meant step 3, I'm not sure how to do this, any help is appreciated.
    edited October 2009
  • edited October 2009
    What a gift.

This work-around sailed right thru on my Dell XPS 1330 Laptop. Just three more machines to go.

I have noticed along 15 second delay on Internet Explorer startup since install. Perhaps a re-install of IE will clear this issue?
    edited October 2009
    It might. I'm afraid I don't have much experience with IE to help, though. :( Sorry. I'm glad the process worked for you!
  • edited October 2009
    Robert. You rule. You are such a life saver. I was able to upgrade my computer with no problems. Thank you!!!!!!
    edited October 2009
    Steve wrote:
    Robert. You rule. You are such a life saver. I was able to upgrade my computer with no problems. Thank you!!!!!!

Glad Icrontic could help you out, Steve! Thanks for stopping by and letting us know it worked for you. :)
  • bob
    edited October 2009
    Thanks for the help, this is great, keep up the good work!!
  • edited October 2009
    Now people have had chance to try this, can someone confirm if this will work for a UK version or not? I know somebody said "no" earlier in the thread (for the EU version), but that was based on there not being *any* upgrade version available in the EU, which wasn't the case in the end.

So, I have a *full* UK retail version of W7 Home Premium. Can I do an upgrade from the RC?
    edited October 2009
    There is no reason why this shouldn't work for a UK version.
  • edited October 2009
    hope someone can help ive followed the instructions above and still cant get my upgrade to rcm it says its incompatable and cannot be downgraded to windows 7 home premium from rc ultimate
    edited October 2009
    There is some step of the instructions you're not following correctly. Given your error, it's most likely in step 3.
  • edited October 2009
    Great post- helped me to get from RC1 (7100) to a purchased copy of Windows 7 Professional. Everything is there, old settings, apps, files = good!

Only problem is that my key is being rejected by Windows Activation. It's a legit key: Bought the Student Edition through Digital River.

Has anyone else been through this process with the Student Download from Digital River? Any ideas on how to resolve this w/out having to call those guys?

Thanks,
    -jd
  • edited October 2009
    jakedavids wrote:
    Great post- helped me to get from RC1 (7100) to a purchased copy of Windows 7 Professional. Everything is there, old settings, apps, files = good!

Only problem is that my key is being rejected by Windows Activation. It's a legit key: Bought the Student Edition through Digital River.

Has anyone else been through this process with the Student Download from Digital River? Any ideas on how to resolve this w/out having to call those guys?

Thanks,
    -jd

Quick update. Unawave just responded to my question via email. His suggestion was obvious: try to validate over the phone. It took a few minutes, but worked. No further issues!
    edited October 2009
    Glad you got everything squared away. :D
  • edited October 2009
    Just wondering...If I purchase and install an upgrade only version of W7 and my HD dies sometime in the future, will I be able to install W7RC and then upgrade. I only have a copy of XP. I never used Vista.

Also, why does an upgrade take 1-1.5 hrs? My original install of RC on a new HD only took 15 min.
    edited October 2009
    Just wondering...If I purchase and install an upgrade only version of W7 and my HD dies sometime in the future, will I be able to install W7RC and then upgrade. I only have a copy of XP. I never used Vista.

Also, why does an upgrade take 1-1.5 hrs? My original install of RC on a new HD only took 15 min.

It is theoretically possible to use the release candidate as an upgrade target. Some users have also reported that Upgrade discs simply install with no prior OS. As a last resort, you can install Windows XP, point the Upgrade disc at your Windows XP install, then format the partition with the Windows 7 installer to get a clean installation.

Upgrades take longer than clean installs because dozens of gigabytes of information are being shuffled around, in addition to the ~15GB Windows 7 writes.
This discussion has been closed.