Space Hulk

StarmanStarman Icrontian
edited November 2009 in Gaming
Has anyone played the new release of Space Hulk that came out in September? I got it early, but have only had the opportunity to play it four times. It's fantastic fun and the rules are simple, compared to those of Warhammer 40,000.

I'm thinking about bringing mine to whatever Icrontic event I attend so people can have a shot at it (and so I can get some more games in!) and I want to know if anyone would be interested. I can also answer questions people might have about what it's about, how it plays, how certain things work, or clarifying rules, though there is a rule or two that I'm still on the fence about.

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited October 2009
    Haven't had a chance to play it - yet. I'm hoping to alleviate that in the very near future. It's unfortunate that some of the scenarios still haven't been fixed. You can get into states very easily where neither team is at an advantage to press the attack. The only reason to press the game forward is for one side to purposely give up a good position and press the attack. It's a minor gripe, but still it's bothersome.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    My buddy has it but we haven't played it yet. The models are impressive. We're looking at getting the foam model trays that fit in the box and keep things properly protected.
  • GrimnocGrimnoc Marion, IN
    edited October 2009
    Space Hulk! I was thinking of picking it up but I just couldn't justify the cost.

But seriously, I would totally convert to the Dark Side for a chance to play this game.
  • GrimnocGrimnoc Marion, IN
    edited October 2009
    Buddy J wrote:
    My buddy has it but we haven't played it yet. The models are impressive. We're looking at getting the foam model trays that fit in the box and keep things properly protected.

The models are very impressive indeed.
  • lunchb0xlunchb0x Lansing, MI New
    edited October 2009
    The models are very cool. It'd be worth picking the game up just to get them.

What are the rules like? Are they heavily modified 40k or pretty close to stock rules
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited October 2009
    The rules have some resemblance to 40k, maybe not quite 40k light. But you can certainly see the play elements of 40k in it. However it's more focused on action points and board game style movement and strategy.
  • StarmanStarman Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    I don't think the rules are very 40k-ish at all, personally. The fluff certainly is, though.

It's all on a tile system, distance is measured by tiles, or is ignored in favor of just plain line-of-sight. You get a certain number of points every round for each model, which can be spent on moving, attacking, opening/closing doors, and (for the Marines) overwatch, which makes you auto-shoot whenever a genestealer moves within your LoS, and defend, which helps you in close combat should you get attacked. There's no leadership, no armor saves to speak of, flamers set the room on fire (and it stays that way for the rest of the round), you can move each model separately, and the mission objectives typically involve more than just "king of the hill" or "king of your stuff."

As has been mentioned, the models are fantastic, and are precolored to match which side you're on (they're not painted), the tiles look really neat and seem pretty durable, and I learned all of the rules in about twenty minutes in one sitting.
  • lunchb0xlunchb0x Lansing, MI New
    edited October 2009
    So almost like the difference between Warhammer Quest and WFB?
  • StarmanStarman Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Couldn't say. I've never played either. If I ever do get into WFB, I'll probably play Goblins.