Acer h243h Monitor / .5"-1" black edge

doozerdoozer Florida Member
edited November 2009 in Hardware
Hey, I was referred to Icrontic by Pigflipper 'cause he said ya'll can fix anything.

I have this 1" black edge on the right and left of my monitor, and a .5" edge on the top and bottom. I've installed new drivers for my videocard, messed around with the refresh rate, changed the resolution but on all settings I've tried the black edge doesn't go away. I JUST installed windows 7 today and I've been screwing around with it all day trying to figure it out.

I'll try anything as long as it fixes the problem on all levels (ie: I don't have a black edge on certain resolutions).

Below is a photo of the problem, so you know exactly what I mean.

006.jpg

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Is a monitor, or one of those "monitors" that is really a TV?
  • lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited November 2009
    This issue could be caused either by the monitor or the graphics driver. Check the monitor's menus searching for any option that relates to stretching the image or maintaining original aspect ratio, and always choose to stretch the image. Also, check your graphics driver to make sure those options are set correctly as well (in Catalyst Control Center, go to Desktops & Displays, right click the icon of your monitor at the bottom and click Configure, then click on the Scaling Options button at the top, and make sure the driver's scaling options are disabled). I don't remember offhand where this option is in the nvidia driver, but I think it's easier to find than in Catalyst Control Center.

If you need further help locating any of these options, all you need to provide us with is the maker of your graphics card (nvidia, AMD, intel) and pictures of your monitor's menus, if possible.

@ Thrax - quick google of the monitor suggests it doesn't have a TV tuner in it. It should be a real monitor.
  • doozerdoozer Florida Member
    edited November 2009
    Uhhhh...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009167

exact same, says it's a LCD monitor. Connects with HDMI cable if that helps.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Okay, it's a TV "monitor."

Follow this advice:
    Also, check your graphics driver to make sure those options are set correctly as well (in Catalyst Control Center, go to Desktops & Displays, right click the icon of your monitor at the bottom and click Configure, then click on the Scaling Options button at the top, and make sure the driver's scaling options are disabled).

For NVIDIA cards, you can tweak the scaling under the display section in the NVIDIA control panel.
    edited November 2009
    Wow. You guys own. That was the easiest thing I've ever done. Now I feel like an idiot.

Thanks. =)
  • lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited November 2009
    Ignorance != idiocy. If you're ignorant, you can solve that by learning. If you're an idiot, you never learn. :)

Welcome to Icrontic, btw.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    welcome aboard, Doozer :)
    edited November 2009
    Thanks, glad to see a solid gaming community.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    I lol'ed at your avatar
    edited November 2009
    =)