IP conundrum

edited November 2009 in Science & Tech
I've been having an issue for the longest time with my wifes Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop. It seems as though, everyonce in a while, i have to go in and release/renew the ip address to get it online. This is the strange part though. I noticed just recently that when I tried to set it to a static ip address, i couldn't get it online at all. I couldn't even get to my router. I also noticed that i always am assigned the same IP address from my router (192.168.1.99). It gets stranger, My router shows the laptop connected and also tells me that it is assigned statically. I even went so far as to rebuild the laptop to factory settings and it still happens. I am still assigned the .99 address. I have gone into the router set the dhcp server to only give out addresses from .1 to .50 and i have deleted the laptops registry from the router and performed a release renew on the laptop and i still get .99 set as the ip address. This is driving me nuts because everything is set to automatic on the laptop. My guess is that the wireless network adapter is somehow stuck on that IP and that it has nothing to do with the router.:mean: HELPPPPPPP

Comments

• CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Do you have a DHCP reservation setup in your router for that MAC address?
  • edited November 2009
    Cyclonite wrote:
    Do you have a DHCP reservation setup in your router for that MAC address?

There is no MAC address filtering set. (I am assuming that is what you are referring to)
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    No, he's referring to a table where you set up that any time this MAC address connects to the network, it receives this IP address from the router. It's separate from MAC filtering.
  • Nate_LapTNate_LapT Ferndale MI. Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Im using DD-WRT on my router which my option is under the services tab and looks like this.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Thanks, Nate. I was at work when I read this yesterday and unable to get a screenshot. Then, well, I just forgot when I got home.
  • edited November 2009
    Nate_LapT wrote:
    Im using DD-WRT on my router which my option is under the services tab and looks like this.

I found 2 tables that you might be referring to. The Static Nat page which has nothing in it and the DHCP connections which also shows the Static connections with the option to edit or delete. I tried both and still get no change in the IP address. Again, the laptop is set to obtain one automatically and the router shows that it is set statically. I only have 1 day leases as well.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    What OS are you running on the laptop?

What router are you running?
  • edited November 2009
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    What OS are you running on the laptop?

What router are you running?

I am running Vista on the laptop and have the Verizon Fios router. This was an issue while i had the Belkin wireless g router as well before we switched to verizon.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Are you looking at the IPv4 or the IPv6 settings for receiving an IP?
  • edited November 2009
    IPv4
  • Nate_LapTNate_LapT Ferndale MI. Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    if it gets the same ip when using 2 different routers that points more at the OS not the router. I have seen my router give out the same ip time after time.

Could you grab some screen shots of your network card settings.
    maybe something got over looked