Required: Free, efficient partition software for vista!

djshowdowndjshowdown London
edited November 2009 in Science & Tech
Partition Magic has in the past really had problems with vista when I have used it, so does anyone have a good alternative?

Comments

• ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Define FOR Vista. Do you mean like software you run in Vista? I wouldn't ever recommend modifying your running partition while it is working (and I don't think any software will let you). If you're working with other partitions just use the built in disk management crap. Otherwise I'd say use the GParted boot disk, that's all I ever use for resizing my actual system partitions. http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php
  • djshowdowndjshowdown London
    edited November 2009
    Sorry I should have been clearer.

I want something that is designed to work with vista as well as other programs. The version or Partition Magic I had would only really work with XP.

I need to resize the C: drive from 250gb to about 100gb so I can use the rest of the drive for a data partition. The built in windows tool won't let me reduce it by more than 70gb. Can't remember the exact reason but I read up on it and found out it was a limitation caused by Vista putting some system files at the end of the drive or something.

I looked in to using GParted but I heard that it can be a hassle as it leaves your system unbootable if you change the system partition. Is this correct?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Not true in my experience.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    I've never had a problem with GParted leaving my system unbootable and I've used it to resize partitions dozens of times. They are probably referring to people that attempted to use it to resize their currently running partitions. If you use the live CD it should work fine. That said, any time you're attempting something along these lines you should have backups as something could go wrong. A loss of power during a partition resize will fry the partition no matter what software you use.
  • djshowdowndjshowdown London
    edited November 2009
    I'm going to give Gparted a go.

Thanks for your help as always guys!