Free Internet Based Database Search

CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
edited February 2010 in Internet & Media
We use a reading program at our school called Accelerated Reader. Most of the books in our library are color coded by reading level and the students can take quizzes over the books after they read them that are worth various points based on the length and reading level of the books. I would like to put a list of all the books in our library on our website in a searchable format that the students can use to look up specific books that they would like to read to see if we have them (and have a quiz for that book.) I found a website that does what I want but it's a $200/year subscription +$100 startup fee and that is definitely out of our budget.

Is there a way that I can implement such a search on our website that is free? I am long out of practice with web coding so I'm not sure how it can be done. Any ideas? I can export the list into a text file so I can import it into MS Access or some other database program, but not sure how, if possible, that I can make this searchable.

Comments

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Anything against a plain old HTML table with book title, color, point value, and a hyperlink to a quiz (or quiz request, whatever)? Then they can use the greatest search of all - ctrl-F.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    That is what we already have. I was just wondering if there was an easy way to make a page like the link that I posted so it could be a bit easier to search for specific books, authors, etc.

For example if they read one book by a specific author and would like to find other books that we have by that same author by just doing an author search and only seeing other books written by that person.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Crazy Joe wrote:
    That is what we already have. I was just wondering if there was an easy way to make a page like the link that I posted so it could be a bit easier to search for specific books, authors, etc.

For example if they read one book by a specific author and would like to find other books that we have by that same author by just doing an author search and only seeing other books written by that person.

Admittedly I could write something that does this in PHP+MySQL in a few hours tops (I just don't have time anymore though). I'd see if anyone you're working with knows PHP (or other language of the sort) and could do this as it's a really simple thing. I make websites when I'm bored or on lunch at work and have done quite a few that have something like this as the starting basics.