Macbook Pro: Boot Win7 from USB?

SpampySpampy Madison, WI
edited November 2009 in Science & Tech
Hey guys,

I don't have any DVDs nearby at present, but I wanted to make a bootable USB stick and boot my MBP from that to obliterate my 7RC1 and make it the real deal. I can't seem to figure out any way for the damn thing to understand that I have a bootable USB stick with 7 on it, which seems odd because that's how I installed Leopard. Any tips? Or should I run and get a DVD to burn? Ideally I'd like to make this work, so please offer any tips/suggestions you may have.

Thanks!

Comments

• photodudephotodude Salt Lake, Utah Member
    edited November 2009
    If your USB is fully bootable you will need something like rEFIT which will allow you boot from USB something other then OSX (that's right Apple locked all other OS from booting from USB)

I recommend copying the Boot Camp drivers folder to the USB drive for convenience, so you can install it on win7 later .....FYI Win7 wont install bootcamp without a third party tool since there is something wrong with the MSI the setup.exe calls
  • photodudephotodude Salt Lake, Utah Member
    edited November 2009
    oh and another FYI about bootcamp
  • SpampySpampy Madison, WI
    edited November 2009
    Good looks photodude, I will give that a shot, thanks. I'll update this when I've gotten further, or when there are more replies. :)
  • SpampySpampy Madison, WI
    edited November 2009
    Working perfectly, rEFIt was clutch. Thanks photodude!