'Volume is Dirty' everytime I boot up!

djshowdowndjshowdown London
edited November 2009 in Science & Tech
I am having an ongoing problem. I have partitioned my laptop so that it has two copies of XP, a data partition and also a temp partition which I instruct windows to save all temp data to.

Recently, when I boot up the laptop, it informs me that the t: partiton (the temp file one) is dirty and that windows is going to run chkdisk. I always allow it to do this and then it boots normally. When I restart however, it does exactly the same thing. This as you can imagine is becoming increasingly frustrating, everytime I restart I have to wait for chkdisk to run.

Anybody shed any light as to why it might do this?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    Go to start -> run -> type: cmd

Type chkdsk c: /r

It'll give you a warning about scheduling it on the next boot. Go ahead and do that, then reboot. This chkdsk is much more thorough and should resolve the issue.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited September 2008
    If its still happening after the chkdsk run the hard-drive manufactures diagnostic software you might have corrupted sectors (Some other tools call them bad lba blocks). These can be mapped out and repaired using software.

If you have a IBM/Hitachi drive you want DFT
    If its a seagate/maxtor you want seatools
    If its a Western Digital you want Data lifeguard diagnostics

If its any other less common/popular brand you will need to check the manufactures site.

If its a Toshiba drive your laptop's bios will have a diagnostic tool built into it.

After you repair corrupted sectors assuming it finds corrupted sectors. Run chkdsk /r again and the problem should be resolved.
  • djshowdowndjshowdown London
    edited November 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    Go to start -> run -> type: cmd

Type chkdsk c: /r

It'll give you a warning about scheduling it on the next boot. Go ahead and do that, then reboot. This chkdsk is much more thorough and should resolve the issue.

I thought I had replied to this topic already, apologies.

Thrax once again you have come through for me. If I am ever in your neck of the woods I owe you a beer (or 10).

Thanks again, please feel free to close this topic :)
  • djshowdowndjshowdown London
    edited November 2009
    Grayfox thank you for your input as well
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Glad everything got sorted out for you. :D