Happy First Birthday to Icrontic Gaming!

Comments

• UPSWeezerUPSWeezer Behind you... GENTLEMEN Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    UPSLynx wrote:
    Constructing Cock Goblin at LAN08 with Tiberiuslazarus and Weezer only to get DQ'ed for it being too big 'Like Lynx', as EggRoll yelled.

;D One of the funniest things ever!
  • loklomedialoklomedia Lethbridge, AB Canada
    edited November 2009
    I remember my first "console" was a C64... playing some old Ghostbusters game (which I sucked at), a spider man game ("My spidey sense is tingling"), and some other side scrolling COLOR fly through space and shoot things game that I actually beat. I don't beat many games. Then I graduated to my 286 with Dos 4, playing good ol' Captain Comic (which I beat) and the shareware versions of Commander Keen, then onto King's Quest 1. And I'm only 30.

Now that I have a beast of a computer, relatively speaking, I don't game at all, except on my iPhone... but even then it's tap tap revenge. But if I were to play a game, it'd be Unreal Tourney 2003 CTF versus bots.

I found out about ICrontic via twitter and I think google a couple weeks ago, trying to find a comparo between ATI firepro v3750 and Radeon HD 4870 for 3DS Max... to see if I should crossgrade. Hoping for that review to come...

Otherwise, great site. :)
  • faunfaun UK
    edited November 2009
    The time some fool questioned my abilities on COD4.
    The result?
    127 - 27.
    PROOF: http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v330/15/73/511956386/n511956386_865570_7301.jpg

That was a pretty good moment. But beating dungeon keeper as a wee teen was also a massive achievement for me.
  • SpampySpampy Madison, WI
    edited November 2009
    I met Prime, Lincoln, and a few other guys once in a pubbie TF2 game, and they were really cool doods and I'd never been in a real playgroup of any sort before. I healed like a mofo and me and prime were a force. After that, I asked how to join IC on steam and he invited me to the group and just told me to join the forums and the group and I was one of the gang. Icrontians are my favorite bunch to play with in TF2, and with my new Windows 7 installation I plan to get back into the habit!
  • DuniganDunigan Norfolk, VA Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    My gaming experiences have been limited in my lifetime...as my mother saw fit to limit them when we were children...but going to college and meeting Bobby Miller(UPSLynx) quickly changed that. I spent hours upon hours sitting on our living room couch with Bobby's PC mirrored onto my television. This is where I went to gaming school, learning of such games as Half Life, and Half Life 2. Seeing Team Fortress for the first time...and death match. Sometimes he would even let me do the smack talking...haha...imagine that...I watched on in envy as he played Half Life 2 for 15 hrs straight...thinking...when I grow up...I want a PC so I can play games like that. For every year we lived together there was a new game...a new challenge...a new viewing experience for me. Some of my favorite memories come from trying my hand at destroying cars in FlatOut...or doing my best to stay alive in online Death match. But, my favorite memory was the day Bobby and I combined our intellectual forces to create the Gravinade. A unique way of chucking a grenade across the map using the gravity gun. It was deadly...and very effective.

So, where my childhood gaming experience may be lacking...I graduated from college with a minor in PC gaming. Learning as much as I could in the 3 short years I live with Bobby. I can only hope that someday I will take that knowledge and put it to good use. I feel that I am one step closer after Bobby introduced me to this AWESOME community! But, you can read more about my take on Icrontic in the life section. :-)
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    I remember Prime inviting me to the IC TF2 server for the first time:
    prime wrote:
    "HOly crap you guys, I didn't know you played TF2. We at Icrontic are HUGE into this game right now. There are a core group of us (12-15 members) that play about every single night, and we just recently got our own server."
    Link

:-D Sweet Prize, Thanks for the opportunity!

-Bobby
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    That post brought a tear to my eye.

Ah s-video/VGA extender connection and the 5-some displays and televisions we had scattered around the room. people could watch no matter where I was.

Some proof of Dunigan's experiences:

n1148850070_30011882_8420.jpg

A typical evening, Branmyson and Dunigan watching me play Flatout

n161502925_30608313_6135-1.jpg

Playing Half-Life on the arcade setup with a trackball....
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    It's not often that I get the chance to game with Icrontic members (as I don't much like TF2), so I was really happy to sit down over the last few weeks and play some Super Mario Bros. Wii with Alidra, ZenMode, Prime and Keebler.

Even though I don't appreciate the Wii or Nintendo very much (not my style), they've created a masterpiece with that game, and it's definitely a title that needs to be experienced with multiple people. I honestly have not had that much fun with a console game since battling away for DAYS in Goldeneye 64 when I was in middle school... Playing NSMBW with people from Icrontic reminded me how fun consoles can be, and how important it is to play them with other people. That's where the magic is: Friends.
  • PetraPetra Palmdale, CA USA
    edited November 2009
    Hmm... gaming memories.... Well, I remember the last time you guys had a LAN which, of course, I couldn't make it out to. I sat at home and played Gary's Mod...alone.

Yes, I am pathetic.
  • AlidraAlidra Metro Detroit Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    It's not often that I get the chance to game with Icrontic members (as I don't much like TF2), so I was really happy to sit down over the last few weeks and play some Super Mario Bros. Wii with Alidra, ZenMode, Prime and Keebler.

Even though I don't appreciate the Wii or Nintendo very much (not my style), they've created a masterpiece with that game, and it's definitely a title that needs to be experienced with multiple people. I honestly have not had that much fun with a console game since battling away for DAYS in Goldeneye 64 when I was in middle school... Playing NSMBW with people from Icrontic reminded me how fun consoles can be, and how important it is to play them with other people. That's where the magic is: Friends.

Total blast!! <3 The best part is throwing people off cliffs!
  • ButtersButters CA Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    I remember playing Doom for the first time when it came out, it must have been around '93-94, I must have been around 12-13. My older brother had a PC that was running win 3.11 and I remember always waiting for him to leave so I can play it, I truly, truly miss those days when you can switch from DOS and go back into windows 3.11. Anyway, I remember the last boss so fondly I wrote a paper on beating him a couple years later as a Frosh in High School. I think I got a B on that paper, lol.

LOL, how could I forget playing Leisure Suit Larry, Land of the Lounge Lizards. I remember I'd have to guess a on a bunch of questions before you I could play (for 18yo verification). I was such a perv. Spiro Agnew - one of the answers - I think should change my username to that.

Also I remember in High School I loaded Grand Theft Auto into a couple of the computers used for AutoCad. The drafting teacher didn't care. I vaguely remember if there was multiplayer or if it was on GTA2, that was fun as all hell, especially at school.

Another fond memory was when I, no longer was a LAN Party virgin. I had just bought a brand spanking new PC from one of those old "computer show and sale" events, and was armed with a TNT2 16mb. I soon was introduced to Counter-Strike and subsequently Icrontic had awesome coverage of CS. I remember not knowing what the hell I was doing, and someone yelling out, "Blaster!, what the hell are you doing Blaster!"
    edited November 2009
    How could I almost forget about "Rock Van!" Lynx, Kingpin, Bindlestick and I drove up to LAN 08 playing Rock Band in my mom's minivan. That was epic!
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    There are exactly 40 entrants.

To pick a winner, I had Random.org pick a # from 1-40. It came up with 17.

I then randomized the list of entrants, and #17 on that list was the winner.

The list:

list.PNG

As you can see from the list, the winner is SHWAIP

Congrats, Evan!
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    YAYAYAYAYAY
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    That's definitely good karma coming back his way, congrats Shwop!
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    HOLY FRICK'N COW... Congrats on an butt kick'n rig. Now learn how to play games :D
  • SpampySpampy Madison, WI
    edited December 2009
    Congrats dude!
  • AlidraAlidra Metro Detroit Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    Congrats!!!
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    Fixed!!!!!!!!
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    Kwitko wrote:
    Fixed!!!!!!!!
    No... if it was fixed, one of Primes kids would have won it. ;D

Man... guess you'll be selling your old stuff soon? :D
  • faunfaun UK
    edited December 2009
    GRATS
    edited December 2009
    QCH wrote:
    No... if it was fixed, one of Primes kids would have won it. ;D

Man... guess you'll be selling your old stuff soon? :D

Maybe. It might get turned into a compute node for my research, though.
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    no u.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    list.PNG

This looks blackmailed. I can tell from the compromising photos and from seeing quite a few blackmails in my time.
    edited December 2009
    nah, this is what a blackmailed list looks like

attachment.php?attachmentid=27908&stc=1&d=1259709109
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    :tim:
    edited December 2009
    Thanks Icrontic, and all the companies that donated hardware for this awesome system. It's an awesome upgrade to my current system in almost every way, the only thing that's remotely "better" on my current system is I have 8GB of ram, but it's slower, and I probably hardly use more than 4.

I think my 8800GTS is dying as well, so this really is great. I'll have to try out crysis on this machine, so I can finally see what it looks like on the highest settings. I wonder if I can even raise the settings on TF2 any higher...
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    shwaip wrote:
    Thanks Icrontic, and all the companies that donated hardware for this awesome system. It's an awesome upgrade to my current system in almost every way, the only thing that's remotely "better" on my current system is I have 8GB of ram, but it's slower, and I probably hardly use more than 4.

I think my 8800GTS is dying as well, so this really is great. I'll have to try out crysis on this machine, so I can finally see what it looks like on the highest settings. I wonder if I can even raise the settings on TF2 any higher...

The 8800GTS is nice, but a Radeon 5870 will blow your mind. Enjoy!
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    Congrats!
    edited December 2009
    I was really excited for a second. I made a quick glance and saw my name at 17. Then I looked again. 16...:tim:

Oh well... congrats Shwaip!