Starting with a PT

BetsyDBetsyD Cincinnati, OH Icrontian
edited December 2011 in Fitness
Tuesday I'm starting with a personal trainer. I found a great one at my gym. Very upbeat and motivational and not drill Sargent-y. We set up for me to meet with her 2x/week for 6 weeks, 1x/week for 4 weeks and then 1x every other week to round out 20 sessions. She will be doing strength training with me and then setting up "homework" for me to do between sessions that's a mix of cardio and strength.

Sometime after Janurary I'm likely joining TEAM fitness at the gym. its a 3 month program of 6-8 people that meets 3x/week for an hour with a trainer or two for a mix of cardio and strength training.

In the mean time I am continuing on eating a balanced healthy diet and trying to avoid too much "holiday cheer".

Hopefully by sometime in March I should be down to the weight I was when I graduated high school, but more grown up looking. ;D

I'll check in once in a while to tell everyone how the personal trainer is going.

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    Sounds awesome. I've often felt that a personal trainer would do me a world of wonders. Good luck!
  • poofiepoofie Baltimore, MD Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    woohoo! i've often wished i could get a PT, it seems so helpful to have someone to motivate you and someone who holds you accountable.

is it still lecherous if i ask for pics? ;)
  • BetsyDBetsyD Cincinnati, OH Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    Sounds awesome. I've often felt that a personal trainer would do me a world of wonders. Good luck!

That's what I'm hoping for. It's the only way I can justify spending this much money.
    poofie wrote:
    is it still lecherous if i ask for pics? (wink)

:eek3:
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    as much as I recommend a PT, remember it's up to you to make the commitment.

You have to be the one who says, "I'm gonna do this and not quit 2 weeks later."
    edited December 2009
    So last night we base-lined my fitness. I'm starting already pretty good - muscle wise. She attributes that to my 2 years of pilates 3x/week :p So she's going to be trying super hard to kick my ass.

I'll share a few of my baseline numbers:
    Tricep kickbacks: 50lbs
    Lat pull downs: 40 lbs
    Squats: 70lbs
    Body weight incline pushups 20 before fatigue.

My flexiblity has gone down since I've not been doing Pilates for the past couple months, but my bicep strength has gone up.

I did a few assesments over the past few weeks to get ready to start this (plus I just like numbers :D) My RMR is 1327 (caloriepoint assessment), and my Anaerobic threshold is 172 (cardiopoint assessment), my body age is 34 (fitpoint). Descriptions of the assessments at http://lifetimefitness.mylt.com/community/assessments
    edited December 2009
    Thursday was excellent. I burned 427 calories in an hour with her and then 200 on the treadmill (30 minute gab session with my friend) afterwards according to my HRM. We worked upper body and core stabilization.

This week I am seeing her today and tomorrow, because of Christmas.

I love our gym. There are so many things to do that I end up being there a while. Like yesterday I ran on the elliptical and then I went to the stretching area and stretched and then I changed and sat in the hot tub/ sauna for a while. I ended up being there almost 2 hours. I wish I could convince CB to do something other then a 20 minute swim when he goes to the gym. I'll post my menu for the week in a bit.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    BetsyD wrote:
    I wish I could convince CB to do something other then a 20 minute swim when he goes to the gym.

:P
    edited December 2009
    CB wrote:
    :P

Maybe some of our fellow icrontians will exert a little peer pressure since "wife pressure" isn't working.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    CB... man.... 20 minute swim? Why are you exerting yourself so much. Don't they have a sauna you could sit in instead?
    edited December 2009
    Got in my two sessions yesterday and today. Yesterday we did arms/sholders/abs, today we did legs and abs. Normally my sessions won't be back to back but since it's a holiday week she had to move my Thurs session and the only other opening she had was Mon.

But MAN I'm sore now. I'm doing yoga tomorrow to stretch and relax my muscles, my PT got me in at the yoga studio at the gym for free (normally $15/class).
    edited January 2010
    On the recommendation of Mary Jo I am trying out TEAM Fitness MWF this week. Its a mix of cardio and weights in a small group setting with a trainer. I would like it to work out b.c its significantly cheaper then Mary Jo but I'm not totally convinced it will. We shall see.
    edited February 2010
    Thought I should update everyone on my PT... I did join TEAM Fitness after the trial week. Although it's not as personalized as working out with Mary Jo, I feel that I still get a good workout.

The weight is being slow to come off, I'm going to blame the food, I'm not eating as well as I should be... or rather drinking... there has been a lot of Starbucks in my diet of late. But I'm cleaning that up and resolving to do better going forward.

However I am getting comments that I look like I'm losing weight, my clothes are fitting better and I'm seeing some definition in my arms and sholders. Just need to get there with my abs...
    edited February 2010
    I am starting to see positive progress at the gym. Last night we were doing intervals (see attachment) on the treadmill and I ran for 4 minutes straight during all 3 intervals! Well, I ran more then that total but that was the longest stretch!

I don't run. I never have, but last night I ran for 4 minutes straight at a 4mph speed and did 2 minutes at 4.5mph during two of the intervals.

I'm still excited :D
    edited December 2011
    So its been a while since I posted to this thread but I thought everyone would like an update :)

Since March I have been steadily losing myself. :p I have gone from 190 (March~April) to 183 (July) to 163 (this morning). I started at 34% body fat when my new trainer pinched me in July and am now down to 23% :D I am officially smaller today then I was when I met CB seven years ago.

I could say that I'm working out harder (true), I could say that I'm being more consistent with healthy food choices (also true)... But I have done those things before and never see long term or drastic results...

Instead I am going to attribute the big difference to the fact that I no longer have any artificial hormones in my body. That's it. That's the only difference I can think of that makes this time of trying to "get fit" different than all the other times. (And before you ask: no, there are no mini Droeges in the near future)

Fitness goals attained and new ones going forward:
    • In July I crossed the run-for-30-minutes-straight threshold.
    • In August I ran (ok, I sort of ran/walked) my first 5k. Time 41:30. Running outside is a bad idea if you have allergies and your allergen is in full bloom :( I started having an asthma attack only 5 minutes in and it didn't stop until later that night.
    • Since the 5k I have been running at least that distance (3.1miles) on the treadmill once per week. Monday I ran a 10 minute mile. In 10 minutes. without stopping. And I didn't die :D
    • I can climb several miles on the stair mill, I can "skate" several miles on the skate machine, and I can row for 10 minutes straight.
    • I squat as much as the (male) friend that I lift with. I chest press and shoulder press more than him. I can give him a solid run for his money on weight when he tries to lift one of my workouts.

Going forward its going to be slower going to reach my goals. I want to be able to do 10 chin ups unassisted and I want to be able to do a hand stand. I want to run another outdoor 5k in the early spring before the outdoors knows that it can kill me and see if I can do better than my previous time.

Body Composition I still want to get down to 140's and 18% body fat.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    Fantastic work, Betsy :) I've seen your recent pics on Facebook; you are WAY smaller. It's a huge difference.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, you do look great. Well done. Keep it up.
  • WagsFTWWagsFTW Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    Looked smoking at ICOK. You look gorgeous, hun. Keep up the amazing work, and I've been enjoying seeing the sexy shoes you keep purchasing, when you post them on Facebook! :)
  • WagsFTWWagsFTW Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    And I agree, not being on birth control pills / injecting artificial hormones in your body makes a huge difference for a woman's metabolism. I always noticed I gained more weight when I took them. And when I stopped taking them, the metabolism would work a little better and it was easier to lose weight again. There are plenty of other ways to prevent pregnancy than artificial hormones.
    Decided to register for the BodyBuilding.com 12 week $100k challenge. Posted my starting pix on my bodyspace.