DLink WBR-2310 + Windows 7 = Network Failure?

TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
edited December 2009 in Science & Tech
Hello gentlemen, it's been awhile.

My brother recently acquired a new Lenovo Ideapad and I went through the Windows 7 upgrade process. When I got the computer up and running, the first thing I did was try to connect to our wireless network (WPA-TKIP) and found that doing so not only resulted in the Windows 7 PC being unable to connect to the network, but it booted every wireless and wired connection as well. Looking at the router, it appears to be restarting over and over again. Forcing the Windows 7 PC to cease its connection attempts results in a restored network. I don't have another wireless network to try at the moment, and was wondering if any of you had any thoughts as to what is going on here?

Important facts:
-- I updated the router, a WBR-2310 to the most recent firmware (from 2006, bleh), and looked into flashing it with DD-WRT only to find it isn't supported.
-- This happens whether the computer is connecting to the router wirelessly or wired.
-- The computer's network adapters are reported as a Broadcom NetLink Gigabet Ethernet and an Intel WiFi Link 5100 AGN
-- Nothing useful is contained in the log since the router is, in fact, restarting.

Thanks,
John

Comments

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    JOHNNY!

(It's Matty J. How's Boston?! I have no answers to your problem yet.)
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited December 2009
    Boston is awesome. We'll have to catch up.

Cross-posted on Anandtech
    edited December 2009
    Disabling uPnP did the trick.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    Wow! Baron! Long time no see :D
    edited December 2009
    I have a friend who works at Cisco who wants to look into this for me, real talk.

In other news, it has been awhile, but when you combine law school with tech obsession the result is that one has to take the back seat. For me, when gaming goes out the door, so goes tech. I'm thinking I should make a concerted effort to pay attention.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    Trevor? :p

Miss you, buddy. Hope all's well.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited December 2009
    Sounds more like the problem is on the the routers side, bad firmware possibly. Did you flash the firmware before or after you started having this problem with the windows 7 machine. Logically, I can't think of any reason that the computer could cause the router to reboot. I can think of reasons it may cause it to crash and lock up, in turn forcing you to reboot it. But forcing it to reboot on it's own. That's a router issue.