The Guardian Legend: Most underrated NES game ever

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited October 2011 in Gaming

Comments

• Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    I don't believe I played Guardian Legend? I need to check that out. I do recall a number of 3rd party titles that have also gone mostly unknown by modern audiences.

Golgo 13 Top Secret Episode - A game that was years ahead of its time. Mature themes, an adult story, varied game play and a high body count, it was a mature game at a time that games were still considered a pastime for kids only.

Section Z - This game is for the truly hardcore. A skill based shooter so hard that it will make your throw your controller, then pick it up to re try.

Crystalis - it borrows heavily from the first Legend of Zelda. While its not as original or innovative, in many ways its a more complete, more enjoyable adventure, and that is saying allot.
  • StarmanStarman Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    I used to play this a lot when I was a kid. I could never beat it though. THIS is what the Virtual Console needs.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Golgo 13 was indeed way ahead of its time. Great game.

I LOVED Crystalis. Another fantastic, overlooked game. I sense a trend here. :D
  • chrisWhitechrisWhite Littleton, CO
    edited September 2009
    Great article man, good job! I missed this and all other NES games (well, played Duck Hunter at friends...) We had an old Atari, not sure which series, that broke pretty early but my first real console was a SNES. My parents got that for me when I read my first book.

Feel old yet? :)
  • chrisWhitechrisWhite Littleton, CO
    edited September 2009
    Best SNES game no one ever played was Soul Blazer, I think I played through that five or six times, I don't even think I played Zelda: A Link to the Past that much.
  • SirCandleSirCandle New Haven
    edited September 2009
    chrisWhite wrote:
    Best SNES game no one ever played was Soul Blazer, I think I played through that five or six times, I don't even think I played Zelda: A Link to the Past that much.
    Yesyesyesyesyesyesyes
    I love that game. Every time I go into the used dame store around here its thirty dollar price tags taunts my existence.
  • TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Makes me remember some of the other more obscure NES games I loved. Clash at Demonhead. Legend of Ghost Lion. Fantastic Adventures of Dizzy. Blaster Master. Nightshade.

Man those were some good times. Almost want to fire up an emulator now.
    edited September 2009
    Name this bead art that Perry is working on:

tgcad.jpg
    edited September 2009
    HELL-FREAKING-YES!

Also, I feel sad that I had to google the name :(
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    chrisWhite wrote:
    We had an old Atari, not sure which series, but my first real console was a SNES.

Atari was real!
    edited September 2009
    Atari was a real console...

:hrm:
  • StarmanStarman Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Soul Blazer was really good. Gotta say ALttP has its reputation for a reason though. My favorite SNES game is probably Super Metroid. Also <3 Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Demon Crest, Secret of Mana, and Legend of the Mystical Ninja. Nobody will ever guess what my other favorite SNES game is.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    E.V.O.? ...becaues I loved that game :3

I remember renting games at video stores when I was little! I was always angry because my parents wouldn't let me go in the little room with the swinging saloon style doors on it. They also wouldn't tell me why for a long time, which made me want to go in there even more.

oh, to be young again.

I never played this game. Very cool perspective though. Did it age well?
    edited September 2009
    It did. In playing through it again for this review, I have found it just as good (albeit easier and shorter) 20 years later.
    edited September 2009
    UPSLynx wrote:
    E.V.O.? ...becaues I loved that game :3

<3 that game!
  • jokerz4funjokerz4fun Michigan Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    I can honestly say I rented this game and hated it. But at the time I was all over the map with NES games. I should give it another try.
  • edited December 2009
    Thanx a lot for bringing back some lovely memories... About 20 years ago I used to love this game, still call an old NES and a few games (TGL included)my own... After this long time, it's still challenging me and this year I was able to beat it!!!
  • Tim
    edited December 2009
    My favorite NES game of All-Time.
  • edited January 2010
    When you die you not need re-enter password. There is choosebetween continue and end. Also when you die your experience points are kept.

One of my favorite game on NES and unique music.
  • edited January 2010
    OH BTW. I created a http://theguardianlegend.com/ site related to that game and also some desired goal is to produce a sequel to this game. If someone intrested plz join.
  • D
    edited August 2010
    TGL is the best NES game I have ever played. If you like that style of shoot em up though, play Space Megaforce. Same company I think (there are Landers in the game as 1-ups). Space Megaforce is my favourite shooter of all time. Also if you want to play TGL strictly as a shoot em up, then just type "TGL" as a password.
  • edited November 2010
    Wow -- This is the second article I have recently read concerning how underrated The Guardian Legend is. I was vaguely familiar with it before, but it sounds like I may have to give it another spin! Excellent job on a thorough, detailed, in-depth description and review.
  • edited October 2011
    Amazing article, I don't need anymore convincing to know that I need to download an NES emulator right now.
  • BHHammyBHHammy Somewhere in Hell Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    If we're talking about underrated SNES games, Super Adventure Island 2 is a good one.

Basically, take most of the gameplay you know about Adventure island and throw a majority of it out the window. Then add in exploration, magic, and of course some swords and armor with some rather fine platforming.

And, of course, you can find in game versions of your old Adventure Island classic weapons in there too.

I don't know much about how well it was received. I'd imagine most people barely paid any attention to it at all, and the gameplay is so incredibly far removed from the rest of the series that it probably didn't find too much of a home for the fans the series had. It's a shame, since there's a lot of fun to be had with it.

ADDENDUM: Adventure Island 4 seems to have messed around with the gameplay elements found here as well, though that's for the NES, and isn't quite so far removed from the series as this one is.
  • Great read! You hit the nail on the head with this one. I found this article because The Guardian Legend is one of my favorite games of all time and I am currently doing research for a massive article I am writing on it. I finished it tonight for probably the third time and the game holds up so well even today. Just a really fantastic mostly under rated NES game.
    midga
  • d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian

I totally played Soul Blazer. Also did you know Legend of Gaia is a sequel to Soul Blazer? It took me years to remember the name of Soul Blazer after playing Legend of Gaia thinking "This fire-y guy looks really familiar".

I was a huge RPG fan back in the day, sadly I sold a lot of my collection. I am slowly trying to build it back up again. While I was too young to really be able to get my hands on any games for the NES that my dad didn't want to play as well, I did play all all the Dragon Warriors, and Final Fantasy.

But as for my favorite SNES game, I can't even remember the name of it. All I remember was that it was a top down like Zelda, but it had a stupid amount of puzzles in it, and you collected sprites that followed you around and helped you in battle. I always thought the name was Puzzle Quest, or something like that but through all my research I never found an SNES game by that name. I am still looking though, I am only really missing that and Lufia games for my SNES collection.

• BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    d3k0y said:

I totally played Soul Blazer. Also did you know Legend of Gaia is a sequel to Soul Blazer? It took me years to remember the name of Soul Blazer after playing Legend of Gaia thinking "This fire-y guy looks really familiar".

But as for my favorite SNES game, I can't even remember the name of it. All I remember was that it was a top down like Zelda, but it had a stupid amount of puzzles in it, and you collected sprites that followed you around and helped you in battle.
    Legend of Gaia? You mean the Illusion of Gaia? If so, I played the crap out of that game. I've played a bit of Soul Blazer for fun, but I see I'll have to give it another go.

As for your "puzzle quest" game, I've played quite a few SNES RPGs and yet I'm not sure. You can start by going through this list and see if anything jumps out at you. If not, consider that it may have not even been a SNES game and was actually a Genesis or even a Gameboy Advance game, and thus expand your search. Yes, unlikely you remembered wrong, but the fact you can't find it yet leads me to this thought, and the GBA is basically a portable SNES so the graphics are very similar.

Good luck in your hunt, and be sure to report back if you do find it. I'm intrigued to try this game.
  • d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian
    edited August 2013
    Yeah, Illusion of Gaia. (I am bad with names). Also you have to be fucking kidding me, the first game on that list "Brain Lord" was the game I was thinking of.
    This game STILL rocks. STILL.