Coretemp

Radio91PRadio91P Layton, UT New
edited January 2010 in Hardware
I just picked up a Q9400. Coretemp reports Core#1,2,4 at 30C. Core#3 is at 40c. Those are idle temps. Load running Prime is 41,42,43,41 which fluctuate. I was curious one of the cores would be at different temp then others. Idle temps show load at 0-15% and the others fluctuate no higher than 5%. Just curious if I should be worried of this is normal.

By the way this chip overclocks really well. I have it now at 3.2 from 2.66 with little voltage change. I think I can hit at least 3.5.

Comments

• lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited December 2009
    Unless I'm mistaken, the Q9400 quad is based on Wolfdale architecture - most Wolfdale duos can exceed 4GHz, and a good portion of wolfdale quads can get to at least the mid 3GHz range, sometimes even close to 4GHz. I have to agree, you can probably get it to 3.5 - possibly higher. My Q9450 runs rock solid stable in my system @ 3.68GHz.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    Your temps are closer than most and you are just fine. This is quite normal and I wouldn't worry about it. My Q9300 Yorkfield is running at 3.675 (7.5x490) with just a tiny bump in voltage running a Xigmatek HDT-S1283 cooler. The difference in my cores is a bit wider than what you have and it has been running this way for over a year now. With good cooling you should hit about 3.8 or so without any problems. Just keep the temps below 60C max. These CPU's don't need or like very much voltage.
  • lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited January 2010
    Actually, a Yorkfield quad is designed to go a lot hotter than 60C. Intel's thermal specs state a maximum Tcase of 71C, and to get there the individual cores would probably be around 80 celsius. You can push the Vcore as high as 1.3625v in the BIOS and still be within Intel's specifications as stated right on their site.

In short, you won't kill your processor unless you're running it consistently over 80 celsius.

For reference - a "Yorkfield" quad core processor is two Wolfdale duos on the same die. That's why I keep referring to them as Wolfdale quads - it strikes closer to what's actually under the hood.
  • Radio91PRadio91P Layton, UT New
    edited January 2010
    Nice, I don't have time now but will try to go further tonight. Good to hear that nothing was wrong with the chip.