Security setting issue.

Radio91PRadio91P Layton, UT New
edited January 2010 in Science & Tech
All of a sudden today I cannot download anything. In Internet Explorer after downloading the Activex reads, "You current security settings do not allow you to download this file". I have looked everywhere to try and find the setting that is causing this. I am using Windows Firewall and Avira. In firefox, the download box will come up and the download says canceled. When you retry it will show it's downloading the file. Then when you try and open the file, there is no data there. Any ideas?

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited January 2010
    If it was just happening in IE this should fix the issue
    Open Internet Explorer browser - Go to Tools menu
    - Select Internet Options
    - Go to Security tab
    - Select Internet zone
    - Click on "Custom level..."
    - Under Downloads category, enable the option "File download"
    - Under Miscellaneous category, select Prompt (recommended) for the option "Launching applications and unsafe files"
    - Under Miscellaneous category, select Prompt (recommended) for the option "Launching programs and files in an IFRAME"
    - Validate the changes by clicking on OK
    - Leave the Internet Options
    - Close the browser
    - Re-open it, this issue should be fixed
    The fact that it's also happening in Firefox makes me think it's got something to to with a setting in your anti-virus software.

Sooooo these things normally just don't happen out of the blue. What has changed from yesterday when it was working and today when it stopped? Windows update, software change, user change, system crash etc.... Something triggered it.
  • Radio91PRadio91P Layton, UT New
    edited January 2010
    I tried those settings earlier and I will try again tonight when I get home. I could not find any settings on my Avira. I was gone for a couple of days so not sure what could have changed. My wife said that she didn't change anything. There was an update for Windows Defender, but nothing else I know of. Running Win 7 RC 64. I let you know if those changes help. Thanks Kryyst.
    edited January 2010
    So here is the other wierd thing. I adjusted those settings and uninstalled Avira. While I restarted I messed with some overclocking and rebooted. Went to open Coretemp and was told that my internet settings would not allow me to open it. I have to go to properties and unblock the file to open. Not sure what is going on.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited January 2010
    You sure it's your internet settings? Can you put up some screen shots. Somethings not making sense.
    edited January 2010
    When I get home tonight I will post some screen shots. That's what is so wierd. It says my internet settings won't let me. I will post screenshots from downloading and trying to open a file that I have at some point downloaded. It only blocks the program if it was downloaded.
    edited January 2010
    Sorry, I didn't get those screen shots to you. Between school and work time seems to be scarce. I tried downloading Fedora last night so I can dual boot and it downloaded just fine. I will have to test and see if everything else is working now.