An Icrontian (and Turnip!) has made...a MAP!

QuadyTheTurnipQuadyTheTurnip Icrontian
edited January 2010 in Team Fortress 2
Just in time for International TF2 day...

A good friend of mine who goes by the name of Error: Null Turnip Exception has spent a good chunk of the past few months working on a map for TF2. And it's ready for playtesting!

It's called pl_Ignition. It's a two-part payload map that leads the blue team through a dusty farmer's canyon to a secret missile base defended by that dastardly red team. It is, in my opinion, quite well done, and even has a few small surprises to boot!

It will naturally need some tweaks and will have some bugs, and we need your help to find them!

A full scale playtest would be awesome. And if people enjoy the map, I think it'd be an awesome addition to Icrontic's normal map rotation as well. I'd be awesome even if we could get it into tonight's League of Extraordinary Icrontians. Otherwise, a differently scheduled time later this week would be good too. I'm not sure who's in charge of the server map lists or how long it takes to get a new map going...so yeah. Anyways.

It can be downloaded from http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2933950/pl_ignition_b2.bsp. (To use, place that file in your equivalent of Program Files/Steam/steamapps/USERNAME/Team Fortress 2/tf/maps )

Cool photos of the map can be found HERE!

Comments

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    Looks very sniper friendly.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    Looks nice. Payload is hard to balance sentry spots. In the pictures I see some mean spots that if Blu doesn't have a back path to them will be end of push for them.

I look forward to explo...testing them :-D

-Bobby
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    Looks pretty fun, I'll download it just in case we get it going on the server.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    Looks good! I'm all for a playtest
  • QuadyTheTurnipQuadyTheTurnip Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    Yup, there's lots of potential clogging up issues and one-sided-ness in the map, but that's what the playtesting is for!
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    That map looks sweet, not gonna lie
  • MyrmidonMyrmidon Baron von Puttenham California Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    Map, by the way, is WINNAR.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    Awesome map, and the best part is it's only getting better.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    I had a really good time! Excellent map, dude.. seriously.

Okay, so my (minor) suggestions:

More decoration. Think "payload" - a map with character. little touches like the gold coins laying around, the giant bank vault doors, etc.. The little touches that make a map feel like its theme. Same with swiftwater - the pipes, the water towers, etc. Yours just needs some character to say "SEKRIT MISSILE BASE MUHAHAHA"

I felt that the second (I think?) arm of the map was a bit too convoluted for red. I don't know how blue could lose at that part.

Other than that, awesome work!
    edited January 2010
    As Canti would say...

DOOOOORRRRRR.

That is all.

Oh, and if you have any suggestions (especially if the map comes up again in rotation while myself, Error, or Pacifisto aren't around), or if you notice any bugs/glitches, let me know here and i'll tell Error.
    edited January 2010
    Prime, the plan was indeed to add more decoration. Error just wanted to get the playable part down pat first.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    My comments on this draft.

Good Stuff:
    • Nice style
    • Lots of paths and hiding places
    • Iris door is a good step toward some unique character

Suggestions:
    • I'd like to see a lot more red arrows to direct traffic (I think this would cut down on some of Red's trouble defending)
    • Some of the large open spaces need a bit more to break them up. I don't mean decorations, I mean obstacles. Especially needs some things to hang from the sky to block some of the long, high sight-lines.
    • Shorter time-limits per checkpoint would give it a brisker pace.
    • Perhaps the doors could open sooner. The door-open triggers are too close to some of the doors, causing the characters to actually bump into the doors before they open. In all of the official maps, the doors and gates work more like automatic grocery store doors, timed as such that by the time you reach the threshold, the door is already open.
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    Can you put a door like that in my house?
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    I missed it because Windows Updates restarted my computer and I was too pissed to try and get back in. Hopping on right now if anyone cares to join.

edit: :-( not available to nominate

-Bobby
    edited January 2010
    Would it be possible to add this to the RTV/nominate list, so it can be played with when there aren't admins around?
  • TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    It should be on the list already. I think Bobby had that problem because he was the only one on the server and it won't let you nominate/rtv if you are the only person.
    edited January 2010
    Ah, ok. Excellent.
  • TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    I stand corrected. Adding to the appropriate list, which I had forgotten about, and also uploading to the download server for faster download.