Ford unveils MyFord Touch at CES

mertesnmertesn I am Bobby MillerYukon, OK Icrontian
edited January 2010 in Science & Tech

Comments

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    I don't want them to put MyFord Touch in the Lincoln.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    Lincoln wrote:
    I don't want them to put MyFord Touch in the Lincoln.
    I believe for the Lincoln they do call it MyLincoln Touch. Does that make you feel better about it?
  • PetraPetra Palmdale, CA USA
    edited January 2010
    The reviewer in me thinks that this is really cool technology that will, hopefully, go a long way toward improving driver attentiveness while still satisfying most car buyers in their "need" for connectivity.

Personally, though, I wouldn't want any of that crap in my car. I like physical dials, gauges, switches, and buttons (with as few as possible, of course)--in a word: simplicity. May all of the touch screens, in-dash navigation systems, fancy-pants sound systems, infotainment systems, bluetooth, automatic climate control, and proximity keys be damned! I get into a car with the intent to be cut off from the rest of the world and enjoy it. If three pedals, a steering wheel, a gearshift, and a reasonably comfortable interior can't keep me entertained, then the car's designers have failed.

Then again, my personal opinion represents an extreme minority viewpoint... perhaps it would be best to just stick with my inner reviewer.
  • yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
    edited January 2010
    Thinking of Lincolns...

Lincoln is awesome..
    Ford is uhh.. affiliated with Lincoln.

And I want knobs, buttons, levers, vacuum maybe, and that sophisticated uber dual din radio with all those trillion button lights lit up...almost 80s ish.. 100% access 100% of the time with no "F-ING SAFETY WARNING" and computerization.

98 Lincoln here I come!
  • PetraPetra Palmdale, CA USA
    edited January 2010
    yagga wrote:
    And I want knobs, buttons, levers, vacuum maybe, and that sophisticated uber dual din radio with all those trillion button lights lit up...almost 80s ish.. 100% access 100% of the time with no "F-ING SAFETY WARNING" and computerization.

98 Lincoln here I come!

I had something more like these in mind: (top: my '00 M Roadster's center stack, bottom: an '08 Elise)
    mRoadyStack.jpg
    eliseInt.jpg
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    I agree with Petra on this. This touch screen stuff may be flashy and neat but there's enough stuff in a car to break already. Give me the bear necessities, radio, climate control, speedometer, fuel gauge and tach and color me happy. I really like how my 06 Saturn Ion is laid out to be honest. My gauges are center mounted in the dash, below it is the radio and the climate control. Everything simple. Nothing frivolous. Beautiful in its simplicity. The only thing I wish is that it was a bit more "solid" in some spots. Where my leg tends to rest against the center console it's starting to push the clips that hold it together out. I suppose that's what I get for the price range I can afford though.

EDIT, for photoey goodness. Looks almost like this, not quite the same though (I have manual transmission and the colors are different, this is also the 2004 model not the 2006 model though little changed between then)
    attachment.php?attachmentid=28117&stc=1&d=1263541763
  • yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
    edited January 2010
    I think I'd have a hard time getting used to that Saturn/scion center speedometer thing they've got going on.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    I thought it was odd at first as well. I got used to it quickly though. Especially since I'm a bit on the tall side and I often have a problem with the steering wheel getting in the way of the speedometer. With the center mounted speedometer nothing gets in the way.