How do we revive the team?

LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciersEagle River, Alaska Icrontian
edited January 2010 in Folding@Home
Hey guys, what can we do to revive interest in [EMAIL="Folding@Home"]Folding@Home[/EMAIL] and Team 93? There, I said it. [EMAIL="Folding@Home"]Folding@Home[/EMAIL] and Team 93 used to be such driving and unifying forces here at Icrontic. You would think that Folding was a fashion and had fallen out of favor. Far be it from such! The project is becoming bigger and more potent all the time. The project has grown to a size of 400,000 participating CPUs.

This thread starter is not rhetorical. I don't have a solution. I'm asking you guys:

What can we do?
How can we make the team exciting again?

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    Like anything around here, Folding needs a leader to grab the reins and just "do it". Look what Lincoln did for TF2, and what ZenMode did for Icrontic WoW. When the leader goes out, the project fizzles. Team 93 has no leader right now. That's all it needs.

As soon as someone steps up and becomes that leader, it'll take off.
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited January 2010
    What Brian said is Oh so true my other team were languishing off the bottom end of the scale, 2nd last page iirc when I grabbed them by the cojones and started things rolling. we are now on the top page OK at about 82nd, but 2 years ago that was an impossible dream. the wealth of tech savvy and hardware rich peeps at IC, We should be pumping out major points.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    If I had admin rights for this section I could change the stuff that needs to be updated.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    I've got some F@H stuff I've been meaning to put together and publish (mostly Linux things, init scripts I wrote, etc.). I'm also working on pulling together the necessary info to get GPU folding working under Linux for those interested in such things. Once I manage to get Internet up and running at home I can put this stuff together for people to use. I've already got 4 of my coworkers into F@H for Team 93 as well (gbjazzman, scrllock, heyjoshdotnet and siv_). 3 of them are in the top 20 ppd producers for the team right now. I should return to the top 20 once I get my connection up at home. I forgot where I was going with this post...
    /me wanders off in a haze
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    Personally, I didn't have hardware that was worth folding on until recently. I've got an 8800 that's going now (~3000ppd), but I haven't been able to get my 5770 to work, yet. May have to wait for GPU3.

I'd like to see a resurgence of the team, too. The scientific reasons for folding haven't changed, but people get bored easily. Maybe we need an ad campaign: either turn on your power-saving options or turn on folding.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    _k_ is now a moderator for this category.
    edited January 2010
    Garg post up a new thread or use the NVidia v ATI thread. If you are having trouble with one of the clients is usually easier to delete everything and start fresh.

YOUR ALL BAND!!!HA HA HA!!!
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    _K_, thanks for stepping up and taking a leadership role.

Ardichoke, thanks for the recruiting.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    _k_ wrote:
    Garg post up a new thread or use the NVidia v ATI thread. If you are having trouble with one of the clients is usually easier to delete everything and start fresh.

Just got it to work, I think. Apparently Stanford computer scientists are good at writing software that folds proteins, and bad at configuring installation programs.
    edited January 2010
    _k_ wrote:
    YOUR ALL BAND!!!HA HA HA!!!
    You're misunderstanding homophones and your new abilities. :p
    edited January 2010
    Homo phones? The gays are making phones now? What do they do, turn you homosexual when they call you on them?
    edited January 2010
    Clever.

Related to getting team started: Could we please put milestones all in one thread? If not, I'll re-open the milestones forum and move them. Having the newest posts full of milestones isn't helping anyone.
    edited January 2010
    Doesn't hurt anyone any more than having the newest posts full of birthday threads.
    edited January 2010
    Open it back up and I will move everything, its kind of hard to read stuff through all those milestones plus it looks stupid with my name on so many threads.

NOTE: If anyone has any ideas about what THEY WOULD LIKE to see happen with the team, forums, support, or anything to do with F@h simply post it. OR, if you feel weird about the idea send me a PM, IM, or e-mail so we can talk about it. But don't worry I would go blabbing about how Leo told me this and let everyone say its stupid it will be present as just an idea or comment.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    Thanks for stepping up, K!!!!
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    This is probably the wrong place to post this but seems relevant enough. I tried to join F@H a couple months ago and I either downloaded it wrong or registered wrong because I have yet to earn a single point for team 93. If someone could either explain or direct me to an explanation I will be more than willing to try again.
    edited January 2010
    Thanks for stepping up _k_. Side note, I'm seriously considering using my NewEgg preferred account, in conjunction with the free colocation I get from work to add this to my folding repertoire

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=12413332

Oh NewEgg... signing up for a Preferred account was possibly a bad decision on my part.
    edited January 2010
    I do have some P4 3.0GHz 775 laying if anyone wants them to run a box that will host folding let me know where to ship and a few personal request.

Koreish http://icrontic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29800
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    Thank you sir.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    Got the i7 running an SMP client on 4 threads under Kubuntu as of yesterday. Looks like it will net us ~5500PPD. I might bump it up to 6 threads tonight.
    edited January 2010
    and your video card......if not i will come over and ninja that
    edited January 2010
    Was planning on it. Should be running by this evening.
    edited January 2010
    don't forget to add those environment variables to keep CPU usage of the client down below 3%
    edited January 2010
    Those never worked too well for me, I need to look into it again.
    edited January 2010
    I used the settings from this post except flush interval 128 on a XP box, LAN rig, and its been running great 24/7.
    edited January 2010
    Those are the exact settings I used to run but could never get CPU usage down below 50% of one thread. I'll see how it goes tonight.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    don't forget to add those environment variables to keep CPU usage of the client down below 3%
    Not necessary with Nvidia CUDA drivers 182.xx and newer. I don't know about ATI - never folded with their GPUs. Maybe in the future when Open CL is fully implemented.

Hey guys, I invite you to open new new threads for specific technical help. Your team mates are waiting to help you if you need it. :)
    edited January 2010
    There have been more people on the team breaking a major milestone than what I have seen in months. 4 users have hit milestones above the 1 million mark in just this week; 2,3, and 4 million! These aren't the biggest producers but they are from the 800 to 3,000 ppd range.

This makes me tingle a little bit because it shows that these 4 people have been working on this for a long time, which in time periods makes me look like a novice with my 1.5years~.

Reviving this team isn't an over night or bi-weekly process but about getting that person to try folding for the first time and show them how maintenance free a simple single core CPU client can be, or getting an old school folder back into the game. Talk to your friends to make sure they are still folding, ask people if they wouldn't mind helping others fight disease, show your interest in this past time and spend the time to inform those around you.

WE CAN DO THIS! FREE WILLY!!!!!:jokke: i mean FOLD ON!!:fold:
    edited January 2010
    If only they would let me set up F@H on one of the dual Tigerton boxes at work... You know, for benchmarking purposes... yeah...
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited January 2010
    just stuck a couple of cores of a Q6600 on to team 93 , not much but every little bit helps :bigggrin: