So I just bought an insane set up computer off Newegg. The specs are:
Mobo: Asus M4A79XTD EVO
CPU: Amd pnenom 2 quad core 945 processor
Case: Coolermaster Storm
PSU: Coolermaster 700w UCP
Ram: 2x corsair 2gb XMS3 DDR3
HDD: Seagate 750g
Gfx: Radeon HD 5770 PCI-E x16 2.0

So I put it all together the way the instructions said (Not my first time building one either, third time) and I've got everything in the right spot, plug, wire (to my knowledge) and so I plug in the PC the way the video card book says: turn monitor on first, plug in monitor to gfx card, then plug in power supply cord. I do all that, the computer turns on fine, all the fans are on, including the gfx fan, but I get no picture on my screen. Its an HD card so I even plugged my HDTV into it with the cable I've got and alas nothing. I switched the PCI-E slot to the secondary one on my mobo and still nothing. Is this a dead card? Or am I missing a step here? I've never used a PCI-E card before, I dealt with AGP in the past. Any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited January 2010
    Since by the sound of it you're dealing with all new parts, the problem unfortunately may be almost anything in the computer. It sounds like your computer is failing to POST, which doesn't necessarily mean the graphics card is bad - any piece of the system, if DOA or even seated badly, could be causing the issue.

To start off, try re-seating your hardware on the motherboard, in particular the RAM and any other expansion boards you may have besides the graphics card. If the PC continues to be unable to boot, try disconnecting as many parts as you can from the motherboard (try to start up on one stick of RAM and the graphics card without the hard drives / optical drives / other expansion cards installed). If it works, turn it off and plug one thing back in, and re-try. When it stops booting, you found your problem.

If the above steps fail to identify the issue, the problem can unfortunately still be with the processor, the motherboard, the graphics card, or the power supply. If you don't have any other hardware around you can use as temporary replacements to test the new pieces, you may end up having to RMA all of these pieces of the computer.
  • edited January 2010
    Okay I'll give that stuff a shot. I'm hoping it works x_x
  • edited January 2010
    wow ok so apparently my PSU didn't come with the 4 pin 12v atx connector that i need to turn it on. either that or im blind
  • edited January 2010
    Found the 4 pin. Switched out the memory sticks and nothing ;|
  • jedihobbitjedihobbit Central Virginia, USA New
    edited February 2010
    What is the resolution to this?? Had it catch me once, why not reset the CMOS just for S & Gs?
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    When I got my most recent build a few months ago, I faced the same problem and I am going to second jedihobbit. I finally just decided to reset the bios and next time around it booted.