ATTENTION SMP multi-core Folders: SMP2 IS HERE!

LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciersEagle River, Alaska Icrontian
edited February 2010 in Folding@Home
SMP2 client for Windows, "Core A3" is now released! :respect::D:rockon:

Read about it HERE.
  • simple, drop-in .exe core for your exisiting SMP(1) installation
  • significant production gains for quad-core CPU [EMAIL="Folding@Home"]Folding@Home[/EMAIL]
  • excellent client stability
  • Windows SMP now can keep pace with virtual machine/Linux SMP Folding clients
  • ensure you turn on advanced methods in your SMP configuration or add the -advmethods flag to your SMP startup icon
Folding@Home SMP productivity is dramatically improved over SMP(1), as Stanford has reworked the core binary (.exe) to wring much greater efficiency out of multi-core CPUs in the Windows environment. Team 93 members, I've been in a position to have been using this new core for a while now. These are not wild claims I'm making. I've watched single-client SMP2 production almost double, as compared to running two SMP(1) clients. It should double or more than double your points per day if you are currently running a single SMP(1) client.

NOTES: 1) You will NOT see a big improvement in points per day without bonus points awards. Bonus are awarded for quick completion of the work units. If you are running even a mid-grade quad-core CPU, you should be able realize very nice bonuses if..., 2) to receive bonuses, you must have Folding@Home passkey assigned to your Folding clients. It's easy - just go to the link I provided and follow the instructions.

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    Not all Folding monitoring applications will track SMP2 credits. For example, FahMON will NOT calculate your total points per day as it does not include bonus computations. I am now using HFM.net now for [EMAIL="F@H"]F@H[/EMAIL] monitoring.
  • EnisadaEnisada Edmonton Member
    edited January 2010
    How does this scale with i7 Processors? I have been getting 25kish per day including bonus with this method.

http://www.overclock.net/overclock-net-folding-home-team/607465-guide-vmware-3-0-8-core.html
    edited January 2010
    Whoa, I don't about comparisons BIGADV, 4+4 cores, and the like. Enisada, that's probably a question to pose at Foldingforum.org.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    I am really shocked that they did the bonus points for fast completion. There was talks about that months and months ago but most people were in agreement that it was a bad idea or something that placed a large handicap on the old folders.

I find it kind of funny that you say SMP2 is greatly improved over SMP but then say you will not see a big improvement in ppd without bonus points. The most interesting thing I read about the system is it takes 10 completed, >80%(think I read that right), A3 WUs before final deadline to get any of your pending credit. Here is a listing of the K-factors per WU number.

A quick run I am getting about 5 min 30 seconds between intervals. FahMon is saying 1201ppd on a 470 point WU while HFM says 7100 on a 2657 WU. This is from P6012(R0,C351,G5) which is listed as 470 point WU with a K-factor of 2.
    edited January 2010
    Another way to look at it is that Pande Group is putting their money (points) where their mouth is. They have long claimed that their protein folding simulations science is significantly boosted when sophisticated work units are completed and returned quickly. They've finally decided to reward those who do return such work units quickly. Yes, it does take 10 completed units to qualify for the bonuses with an 80% successful completion rate - strong encouragement for stable, consistent performers.

In the data you cited, HFM is calculating the nominal credit of the work plus the estimated bonus that will be earned at the give rate of processing, given you qualify for the bonus. I had to wait to qualify, but once I did, the PPD increase over the 'old' SMP points system was huge.

As far as handicap for other folders, well, older technology will almost always be less productive. An overclocked I7 920 will outproduce my older generation Q6600, no doubt about it.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    Dropped in the binary and set the passkey. Now if only the Windows client would address >4 threads.

EDIT: Looks like I spoke too soon, downloaded a3 core and all 8 threads are being utilized. It's about damn time.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    Looks like I'm setting up something new tonight. I should probably finalize my OC settings.

Thanks for the heads up, all.
    edited January 2010
    The most interesting thing to me about this all is that the client uses a single process.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    Meh... it's probably using a single multi-threaded process. It's arguably a better way of doing things than running multiple single-threaded processes.
    edited January 2010
    well DUH! That was my point.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    Sorry, I see someone say "the most interesting thing about..." and I immediately think they mean "The strangest thing about..."

Also, my brain isn't functioning properly today. I think I need to take it in for service.
    edited January 2010
    wow you took that to seriously.;)
  • ButtersButters CA Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    I loaded this. CPU usage is only at 12%. Thought something was wrong but it did a percentage in about 12 minutes. Is there anything else I can do to maximize CPU usage? Should I install another SMP instance?

(Project: 6318 (Run 1975, Clone 76, Gen 0) Protein: Great Red Oystrich Makes All Chemists )Sane in water.
    edited January 2010
    Sounds like you have 8 threads and did not enable the -smp flag.
    edited January 2010
    To reiterate what Mason wrote, add "-smp" (without quotation marks) to the startup properties.

Also, ensure that advmethods is either set as a flag or that it is enabled in the SMP configuration. At this stage in development, SMP clients will NOT download the new A3 core work units if advmethods is not set.
    edited January 2010
    I don't think I understand their reasoning behind bonus points, but it's nice to have a rockin' Windows SMP client again.
    edited January 2010
    SMP client is up and running. Can't get the GPU client to download the new core yet, though... not sure if it's a setup thing or if the servers just don't feel like giving it up.

I'll check it again in the mornin'.
    edited January 2010
    Snarkasm wrote:
    Can't get the GPU client to download the new core yet.

huh?
    edited January 2010
    GPU%20retry.jpg
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    See how much I fallen behind... does SMP support 64-bit?
    edited January 2010
    Same Folding SMP client works in 32 and 64 bit.
    edited January 2010
    Error 14 now. :( Gimme GPU clients, Stanford!
    edited January 2010
    Snark open a new thread for the issue and I will help you.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    Wow, tried to get this running but with all the hoops you've got to jump through to set it up, it's a royal PITA.
    edited January 2010
    ???this takes about 3 minutes.

Really easy way is get the e-mail sent for the pass. In the mean time download the core drop it in and delete the cfg which makes sure you have to redo all your settings on the next launch, yadda yadda yadda. Put the flags on your shortcut, launch, re-enter your info.
    edited January 2010
    That's great if you have it already installed and you're upgrading the new core, but I'm doing a fresh install. I got the email, had to mess around to see which console to download, finally got the right one, swapped the core, got connection errors, deleted it, tried again without swapping the core, got into the setup, realized you've gotta have a password on your login, exited it, read the setup FAQ said forget this crap and deleted it all.
    edited January 2010
    What do you need some help getting a password setup on your account without a required log on prompt for it?
    edited January 2010
    I don't want a password on my account. It's stupid that they require it.
    edited January 2010
    You don't have to use the passkey, you just won't get the bonus points. At first, I didn't understand the need for the passkey either. The reason Pande Group added the passkey was to thwart hijacking user names - cheating to take others' points. Yeah, it's unfortunate that lowlifes would steal....at a charity of all places, but it happened. Is/was there a better solution? I don't know, but that's what they implemented.

But you can still fully contribute to the science without the passkey. I didn't bother registering my clients until I started processing the large bonus points units.

BTW, the goal is to eventually have a simple installer file to set up SMP clients. It will happen, just not quite yet.
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited January 2010
    The passkey is a pain, but IMO, not anymore than expiring clients.
    FWIW, I've got an A3 now (6012) and HFM is showing 9200+ppd just on it. Just my rough observation, the A3's put the cpu client roughly on par with the gpu client.
    c2q (9550@4.0) 4 gigs ram, gtx280, Win7....