Do you have an iPhone? Why?

ThraxThrax 🐌Austin, TX Icrontian
edited January 2010 in Hardware
What was the major selling point for you?

I'm trying to confirm a theory for the conclusion of my Droid review, and I'd rather not generalize out of hand.

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    the selling point at the time was all the cool things it had plus full screen touch & that is was not a Windows platform. As of now I see the selling points I bought my iPhone on where nothing more than refreshed views of things I had. I love my iPhone but as much as I love it, I now want out of this device. So many new phones with more multimedia & Video for less money all around.
  • QuadyTheTurnipQuadyTheTurnip Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    I do not have an iPhone. Carry on, nothing to see here.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    I had an iPhone, but only as an iPod Touch with a few extra features. I never used it as an actual phone, since I was always locked into CDMA carriers.

A few weeks ago, my iPhone slipped out of my pocket and got run over by the car, so my Apple device days are over.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    The hype got me interested, the user friendlyness got me to show the wallet. As far as i am thinking, and my wife for that matter, for us, this is the perfect phone. Never had a more troublefree phone, and i have had over 20 of them.
  • WingaWinga Mr South Africa Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    In SA we only got the official release of the iPhone a couple of years after it was launched in the US. My nephew managed to get a jail broken phone a while before they arrived here. I thought it was the coolest thing I had seen in my life. In fact it was the first time I had seen how an iPod operates even though they had been around here for a while.
    What impressed me most at the time was the touch screen and the fact that the phone doubles up as an iPod.

Needless to say I was first in line when they were oficially released.
    Now that I have used one for over 18 months this is why I have an iPhone:

I have always SUCKED at SMS's so would respond to an SMS with the more expensive phone call. The iPhone changed that. I can fly around that qwerty keyboard even though its tiny.
    Google maps have saved my ass on a number of occupations when I have been to large cities I'm unfamiliar with.
    I am able to use a lot of apps that are relevant to my job and this has made my work life a lot easier.
    As lame as this may sound, I watch more movies on my phone than I do on the big screen at home. Main reason is the family doesn't all share the same interest in movies, so I can load up and watch whatever I want in peace, which is usually in the comfort of my bed just before I turn in for the night.
    Our networks her are digital not analogue, so we get a lot more features from our providers. The phone as far as I know handles anything that gets thrown at it and as a phone I have never had a days problem with it.

On the down side, I think iTunes is the devil incarnate and someone at Apple should be shot for allowing some of the crap they upload.
    The phone is a bit bulky. I carry two phones on me. The other is not an iPhone and is very slim and I prefer the way it tucks away in my pocket.

Anyway hope that helps with the review. Look forward to reading it Rob.
  • DJ_EvergreenDJ_Evergreen MB, Canada Member
    edited January 2010
    I don't have an iPhone. No plan to buy one in the future either.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    Mine was free. Then it took a swan dive into the toilet. I couldn't get out of my AT&T contract, and they didn't have any Android phones, so I said, "Meh," and bought another one.

Now AT&T is coming out with Android phones, so I'm hoping I can soon ditch my iPad Nano 3G Cellular Edition.
  • chrisWhitechrisWhite Littleton, CO
    edited January 2010
    I originally got it for the apps, particularly the apps that have Mac counterparts I could sync to as I do most of my office & internet stuff on the Mac while my PC is for production and games. Now love just about everything on it, particularly since I did a jailbrake, it's been a great device to consolidate everything, gone are the days I commuted to school with a Zune, cell phone and DS in my bag. I do miss the Zune a bit.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    My phone at the time was in desperate need of replacing. Buddy J really enjoyed his iPhone, and it seemed pretty handy. The prospect of the app store was especially appealing, and the potential to write apps for free or sale had incredible potential for a programmer. When the wife's first gen phone died we both upgraded to the 3GS and I sold my first gen to a coworker who also wanted to develop apps.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    I'm going to say something crazy, but I just recently paid my ETF to get out of an AT&T contract just so I could go buy a cheap ass pre paid. Smart phones have been marketed so well to the point of convincing us its a requirement to live in the modern age, but honestly, its not. I have a cheap Nokia flip phone, no contract, paying less, and I could not be happier with my decision. It calls, it sends and receives text, and I'm using Google Voice as my gate/voice-mail.

I'm entertaining getting a peek for mobile email, but honestly, I don't really need it, its not like I'm ever that far away from a pc.

Smartphones are cool gadgets, they can improve your life, but when you weigh the cost of the contract, and the pitiful service from a carrier like AT&T once they think they have you trapped, I say to hell with it all, I can get a Nokia flip phone for $39 and a 1000 minutes for $100 that will last me months without having to marry anybody to do it. I forget which vendor was doing it, but I even saw one offering a basic RIM Blackberry on their pre paid network, the phone only being about $99 or so. Is having convergence really worth a couple grand over the life of a contract? Not for me, I'll pop a Zune, DS and a cheap phone in a bag and just be less elegant than the cool kids are.
  • bjbroderickbjbroderick Clinton Township, MI
    edited January 2010
    No iPhone here, but something should be said that not everyone can get AT&T. They have a looooooong memory, and I had a bill issue like 4 contracts ago. But they never forget, so Sprint is my current carrier.

If I could weasel in to ATT I would get an iPhone because I use iTunes for a majority of my music. My wife has an ipod touch and i could use the apps already installed on the computer. And the all around user experience is great.

Now in a realistic setting I want the best of both worlds. I would probably let her get the iPhone and I would wait for the HTC Supersonic. Mmmmmmm dreamy.
  • edited January 2010
    I'm going to say something crazy, but I just recently paid my ETF to get out of an AT&T contract just so I could go buy a cheap ass pre paid. Smart phones have been marketed so well to the point of convincing us its a requirement to live in the modern age, but honestly, its not. I have a cheap Nokia flip phone, no contract, paying less, and I could not be happier with my decision. It calls, it sends and receives text, and I'm using Google Voice as my gate/voice-mail.

I'm entertaining getting a peek for mobile email, but honestly, I don't really need it, its not like I'm ever that far away from a pc.

Smartphones are cool gadgets, they can improve your life, but when you weigh the cost of the contract, and the pitiful service from a carrier like AT&T once they think they have you trapped, I say to hell with it all, I can get a Nokia flip phone for $39 and a 1000 minutes for $100 that will last me months without having to marry anybody to do it. I forget which vendor was doing it, but I even saw one offering a basic RIM Blackberry on their pre paid network, the phone only being about $99 or so. Is having convergence really worth a couple grand over the life of a contract? Not for me, I'll pop a Zune, DS and a cheap phone in a bag and just be less elegant than the cool kids are.

There are also pre-paid mobile broadband options available, if you ever need.

BTW, I don't have an iPhone. I don't plan to have one since I hate the control of Apple on their gadgets. I would only buy an unlocked Android phone without any contract.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    I got my first one the day after they launched. The selling point for me was the browser experience, the ability to use Google maps and auto locate where I was, and its media capabilities. My only personal music devices prior to buying the iPhone were a 32MB Creative Rio and various Walkman cassette and CD players. Visual voicemail was also a selling point, albeit a small one.

As a reporter, I was traveling all over town to places I was very unfamiliar with. It replaced the phone book and map I always had to carry, and it let me do research on-the-fly.

Also, where I live, AT&T has the best coverage. I've been an AT&T customer forever. Tacking the iPhone on to our family plan was easy.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    Don't have an iPhone. Didn't have a job that paid me well enough to afford a smart phone until after the G1 was out. I was so excited about Android that owning an iPhone with it's inferior (to me anyway) OS was just never an option. Also, I don't use any iProducts (including iTunes) so I saw no real reason to own one.