Comments

• chrisWhitechrisWhite Littleton, CO
    edited January 2010
    And you have something more constructive to say then Lynx? :)
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    I do, because as much as I like everyone posting HUGE scans of Pocachips...

I still want to know what those that dislike AVATAR's story think about the sequences removed from the script of the film. Would these scenes have helped the story - and in turn - the movie for you?
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    UPSLynx wrote:

HOW DARE YOU DISGRACE THE NAME AND GLORY OF POCAHONTAS!!:mad2:
    edited January 2010
    UPSLynx wrote:

I still want to know what those that dislike AVATAR's story think about the sequences removed from the script of the film. Would these scenes have helped the story - and in turn - the movie for you?

I didn't find them particularly compelling to be honest Lynx. Jake's back story seemed a bit superfluous, the sex and drinking scenes as well. I do think the drug use scene was interesting but I'm not sure it really added to Jake's character arc much and it might have pushed the film to an 'R' depending on how they filmed it.

All good stuff for an extended release, definitely, but I don't think that was the stuff on the cutting floor that would have pushed the characters and narrative further.

The exceptions were Tsu-Tey's death, which should have been in there, and to a lesser extent the Netiryi's sister and the school back story.

Also, thank god they didn't go with the Norm & Trudy love story.
    edited January 2010
    [strike]9/10[/strike]
    edited January 2010
    Norm/Trudy love story would have been atrocious. I am VERY glad they removed it.

I pretty much agree with the rest of what you said Chris. Though I would have like to see the drinking bit, mostly because it details Tsu'tey's frustration as he sees Neytiri falling in love with Jake. Despite the fact that Neytiri and Tsu'tey were supposed to be together by tradition, the film in its current form doesn't do much to show his hurt when Neytiri obviously picks Jake, with the exception of that little fight after it is all said and done. More development leading up to that fight certainly wouldn't have hurt it.
    edited January 2010
    Good point Lynx, I had forgotten that bit was in there, I do think that would have been valuable, especially since they did mention Tsu'tey and Neytiri were supposed to be paired and then it didn't get mentioned once after that.
  • edited February 2010
    My apology for the useless post. Not sure what got into me there.
    edited February 2010
    Lynx, third FXGuide is out, they talked with a Renderman guy at Pixar and then another studio. Interesting, if brief, talk about CPU vs GPU renderfarms and the state of things now. I want to try Tractor.
  • GrimnocGrimnoc Marion, IN
    edited February 2010
    My apology for the useless post. Not sure what got into me there.

Well, it was a valid point. :)
  • edited February 2010
    Grimnoc wrote:
    Well, it was a valid point. :)

I thought so too. But apparently I offended someone.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    I thought so too. But apparently I offended someone.

Meh, people get butt-hurt too easily. Nothing worthwhile ever gets said if everyone's afraid of offending anyone.
  • edited February 2010
    Meh, people get butt-hurt too easily. Nothing worthwhile ever gets said if everyone's afraid of offending anyone.

AlexDeGruven, I think this is the first time we've found ourselves in agreement.
    edited February 2010
    It wasn't taken in offense, it was just completely offtopic and contributed nothing to the discussion.

Apologies that I'd like to keep things on topic for once.

Also, 2 billion.
    edited February 2010
    Chris, very cool, going to download and listen to it soon.
  • edited February 2010
    UPSLynx wrote:
    it was just completely offtopic and contributed nothing to the discussion.

Me thinks you really missed what he was pointing out by posting it the way he did.
  • edited February 2010
    UPSLynx wrote:
    It wasn't taken in offense, it was just completely offtopic and contributed nothing to the discussion.

Apologies that I'd like to keep things on topic for once.

Also, 2 billion.

Oh, well off topic. I see. It's good of you to delete every off topic post... wait a minute.

Also: Make it 4 billion, and it is still completely unrelated to the inherent value of the film itself.

Also-Also: Thank you for pointing that out, Mr. Bindle.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    I finally saw this film last night. It was dece. Fairly over hyped.
    edited February 2010
    got the wife to it on Friday night, since the movie she really wanted to see (Valentine's Day) would have made us wait an extra hour to see.

She dug it, agreed that the basic story was nice and allowed her to just immerse herself in the environment. Laughed at the right places, tensed at the right places. Overall, good experience.

For me, it definitely held up for repeat viewing. Still a fantastic watch.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    To add to an already legendary thread...

Did Avatar get a fair shake at the Oscars last night?
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited March 2010

Took home 3, for tech stuff i think. No best pic, womp womp wahhhhhmp.
    edited March 2010

I think so. Not that I'm saying 'The Hurt Locker' was, or should have been the Best Picture. I'm quite sure that Avatar, while being a truly great movie, is not deserving of Best Picture. It was nice that it got consideration, however.
    edited March 2010
    It deserved best VFX, art direction, and cinematography (and everyone saying such a digital film doesn't deserve a cinematography award is a fool and needs to shut it.)

I didn't think it would win best Picture. I can't remember the last time the Academy took a scifi film seriously. Star Wars and ET are two good examples of nominated scifi films that didn't make the cut. I also have a sneaking suspicion that the Academy is afraid of what a film like AVATAR represents for Hollywood, and shied away from it.

Honestly, I really don't know if AVATAR deserved to win best picture. I don't think the film was a complete brush-off for the award, as best picture encompasses everything about the experience of the film, and is not exclusive to the story. But whatever, the indie film triumphs, and that is pretty cool. So I didn't rage about AVATAR losing to Butthurt locker for best picture.

Honestly, I would have rather seen UP win best picture. AVATAR has gotten enough recognition as is, with the Golden Globe, its pile of 2.6 billion dollars and the countless boxoffice records, but I digress.

What DID make me rage, however, was skipping Jim Cameron for best director and giving that award to Katheryn Bigelow for Hurt Locker. It was a mistake to give that award to Bigelow, and a politically safe move if I've ever seen one. They made a huge deal about how it was 'about time' that a female got the Oscar for best director, and it was cute and everything.

Cameron deserved that award for what he's done for filmmaking. AVATAR has sent shockwaves though Hollywood productions, Hurt Locker did nothing. For the advances he made, as well as introducing a truly director-centric model for production, without question that award should have gone to James Cameron.

Years from now, it is AVATAR that people will remember for having an impact on the industry, not Hurt Locker.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    Just thought I'd throw this out there. Avatar is still selling out theaters. I went to see it with a friend of mine this past weekend (a 3pm showing on a Saturday, so not even what would be considered a busy time for a theater usually, in my mind anyway) and found it sold out as of about 10 minutes before showtime. Granted, this may have had something to do with the fact that practically every showing of Alice in Wonderland was sold out for the entire day and people just decided to see Avatar instead once they found that out... but still, what movie have you known that could sell out a theater months after release?
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    UPSLynx wrote:
    I deserved best VFX, art direction, and cinematography (and everyone saying such a digital film doesn't deserve a cinematography award is a fool and needs to shut it.)
    Somebody's got a big head. Your tribute to your Cybershot wasn't that good, hotshot.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    <b>He's</b> made a <i>movie</i>. What have <i>you</i> done?
    edited March 2010
    hahaha, thanks for that, guys.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    Just saw that the DVD release is slated for Dec 31st of this year. That has got to be the longest screen to disc period I've ever seen. A little over a year... I wonder if that's some sort of record.
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    CB wrote:
    Just saw that the DVD release is slated for Dec 31st of this year. That has got to be the longest screen to disc period I've ever seen. A little over a year... I wonder if that's some sort of record.

Bah, DVD. The sheer wonders of Avatar should be viewed on nothing other than... Blu-Ray. The format of choice for tech-minded Na'vi this side of the Home Tree.

And of course, Lynx. Since, you know, he's got a Blu-Ray player in his rig. Just for this movie, I hear.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    I was using DVD to mean "Digital Video Disc" implying any disc with digital video on it, which includes Blu-rays...