The Apple iPad: Laaaaaaaaame

13»

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited January 2010
    Tim wrote:
    Exactly WHY is the iPad neccessary? What can it do that cell phones, iPhones, Blackberrys, netbooks, and laptops can't do? It's completely unneeded technology. Does it REALLY have a practical everyday use that will last a long time?

I think my favorite part of this is where you answer your own question.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    The Ipad is necessary because Steve says it is! Thats how things roll in Apples camp, Steve says Jump you jump. This is why I really wish I didnt own a Ipod now
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    I seem to remember you being really excited about your Macbook.
  • chrisWhitechrisWhite Littleton, CO
    edited February 2010
    I think this article is interesting and the argument seems compelling to me, maybe even enough to change my mind on a few things. I suspect I'm the only one here who will come to that conclusion but it's still worth reading as an articulate perspective on the iPad and the potential shift in computing.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    That article reads to me like an Apple fan trying hard to justify and rationalize the iPads flaws. Sure, removing the floppy drive from a computer was a logical step forward, they were largely outdated. Removing all peripherals and all user control from a computer, though, is not advancement. It's regression. At least for people that actually know how to use a computer.
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    ardichoke wrote:
    Removing all peripherals and all user control from a computer, though, is not advancement. It's regression. At least for people that actually know how to use a computer.

OBJECTION! objection.gif

See, I don't look at the iPad at all as a laptop replacement, or a replacement of any type of computer. It's a gadget, much like a Nintendo DS or a PDA. I don't really think it is required by geek law for a gadget to have all the same ports of a normal computer. While yes, having at least a USB port would be nice, but many devices are getting along just fine without it.

And yes, many are fun to use.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Apple says it's a netbook replacement. Go figure.
  • chrisWhitechrisWhite Littleton, CO
    edited February 2010
    Thrax wrote:

Agreed.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited February 2010
    The ipad is another gadget it will fill a niche for some people and others see it as a fail because they want a wonder machine that will wipe their ass while playing music. It's $500+ There's lots of bang in that machine for $500. Like I said before find another device that does as much and as well.

That being said the google aPad is a delicious rumor mill at the moment. A more open device that can multi-task and had an SD-Slot. Of course I'll bet that much like the Android phones it will have some advantages but overall still not as clean an interface as an iPhone.
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Thrax wrote:

Bah. I still consider it independent of other gadgets or at worst complementary to an existing netbook. Regardless of what apple says - I'll think for myself. The moment I start listening to Apple and believing them at face value, is the moment I join the Apple Clan.

Which to me is a great irony. Their motto is/was "Think Different".
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Thrax wrote:

I don't think he said the Ipad was a "netbook replacement" so much as he said, "netbooks suck"