SSD Windows rating

Radio91PRadio91P Layton, UT New
edited March 2010 in Hardware
I just purchased a new laptop.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834146613
and added a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220457 in hopes of getting better performance. I ran the Windows experience and only received a 5.9 in storage. I was curious if they rate this on size of drive and speed or if I did something wrong. The comp is very responsive but just wondered about the rating. I am assuming now that the laptop only has a Sata I connection. Thoughts?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    You'd have to run ATTO on the disk so we can see the speeds. That'll let us know if it's SATA-I or II.
  • Radio91PRadio91P Layton, UT New
    edited January 2010
    I will run that when I get home.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    My experience with Patriot SSDs is that they offer good sequential r/w and low access times but their random r/w in 4K and 16K file sizes is pretty poor. The Windows index weighs these performance metrics fairly heavily.
    edited January 2010
    That's generally the issue with any Indilinx-based SSD (low <16k randoms). Some drives, particularly OCZ's, are better at it, but I also don't believe that the windows ratings are a good indicator of disk performance.
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    FWIW, Rex's single OCZ Vertex running on a DFI LP NF4 motherboard gets 5.9 in WEI as well. It's real world performance feels very fast.
    edited January 2010
    So I ran both ATTO and Sandra. Both of them came out about 34 mb/s which Sandra compared to an external USB FreeAgent drive. I can't imagine that really being the case though. Windows loads really quickly and overall performance seems really quite nice. Not sure what could be making such wierd benchmark results.
    edited January 2010
    Well, I tried everything to get the speeds up, but to no avail. I would imagine that ATTO is accurate to what the drive is operating at all the time which sucks. I checked all the forums on the Patriot site and apparently a couple of people are having issues. I'm going to wait for a response from the Patriot support and then possible RMA, which sucks. I ran ATTO on my desktop that has 7200 rpm drive which was at 70 mb\s. Anyhow. This sucks
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    Did you install Windows to the SSD or restore an image?

Install Windows from scratch (if you are using Win 7) and let it create the partition.
    edited January 2010
    I installed windows 7 from disk. I didn't partition the drive before I installed. Do you think I could have messed something up there?
    edited February 2010
    Still no response from Patriot. AARRRGGGHHH. Should have gone with OCZ. Blah
    edited February 2010
    I suggest running HDD Erase 3.1 (3.3 may be the new version now) on that drive. The utility can be found on the Ultimate Boot CD, and it should reset the NAND to a clean condition. From there, simply install Windows on the drive.

Be sure that your BIOS is set to IDE mode, not AHCI, as HDDE will be unable to see your SSD without this.

I have another solution if this doesn't fix the issue.
    edited February 2010
    I will try this as soon as possible. Between work and school time is hard to come by. Thanks for the help Thrax.
    edited February 2010
    Is this an Indilinx controller drive?

I don't like HDDerase, it doesn't run on some boards.

If it is an Indilinx drive, just use Sanitary erase (you can find it at the OCZ forums if Patriot didn't post it)
    edited February 2010
    It uses a Phison controller with 64MB Hynix cache.
    edited February 2010
    Well then, kills my post.
    edited February 2010
    So I got the drive clean and reinstalled windows 7. First thing I did was run ATTO. 185 mb/s average read, 60 mb/s average write. Thanks again Thrax. Hopefully when they come out with firmware I get closer to advertised speeds.
    edited February 2010
    That's actually about right. SSDs do lose speed when they're the main OS drive. The speed figures quoted by everyone are for a 100% clean, non-boot SSD. They're also the peak transfer rates, and not the sustained transfer rates which can be found in a benchmark. It's the same ol' peak vs. sustained crap that happens with broadband connections and mechanical hard disks.

As one final step, can you run a post a screenshot of CrystalDiskMark?
    edited February 2010
    Thrax wrote:
    The speed figures quoted by everyone are for a 100% clean, non-boot SSD. They're also the peak transfer rates, and not the sustained transfer rates which can be found in a benchmark. It's the same ol' peak vs. sustained crap that happens with broadband connections and mechanical hard disks.

Gotta love marketing! I will run it tonight.
    edited February 2010
    Here is a snapshot of the Crystal results. Doesn't seem like the numbers are all that great.
    edited February 2010
    Your write speeds are a little low for the drive, but only by a few megs/sec. The PS-100 isn't a particularly fast SSD, but that performance is still 5-10x faster than a mechanical disk. FWIW, a hard disk's 4k random (lower left) are usually about 0.5.
    edited February 2010
    That makes me feel better about the purchase. I think next time I will consult you guys first. Thanks again Thrax.
    edited February 2010
    So still waiting for a response from Patriot. They did release a firmware update, but does not address perfromance issues. Just noticed on Newegg they had a OCZ 128 on sale for about what I paid. Bummer
  • AtomicKittenAtomicKitten Georgia
    edited March 2010
    I have an OCZ Vertex 32Gb I ran ATTO with IDE and with AHCI I got the following:

MB per second:
    IDE
    Fastest write: 155464
    Fastest read: 202221

AHCI :rockon:
    Fastest write: 155464
    Fastest Read: 229432

Passmark rates the sequential read and write times around 106 and 135 MB/s respectively.

Yet, windows still rates my disk a 5.9 :shakehead

Any guesses? :confused: