What hardware are you most looking forward to?

ThraxThrax 🐌Austin, TX Icrontian
edited February 2010 in Hardware
Over the past year, Icrontic has covered a hell of a lot of up-and-coming hardware from all over the PC industry:

And the list goes on and on. So, Icrontic users, what's your cup of tea over the next 1-2 years? What do you want to get your hands on?

Comments

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Solid State Disks. I'm content with my graphics card and I'm not willing to upgrade half of my machine just to get a faster processor. Mostly looking forward to those sweet boot ups and the level load time in games.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    I'm most excited about the future of low power parts like the Intel Atom. I recently picked up the Asus T91MT powered by the Intel Z520/GMA500 and am surprised at how well it performs, even with HD video content.

As a tie-in to this, I'm really looking forward to the progression of Win7 powered tablet PCs and UMIDs. On the T91MT I removed all the Asus crap that came with it because Windows 7 does such a damn good job on it's own. Such a versatile OS...
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    I'm second on the SSD train. It's a drop-in replacement that is going to significantly impact my daily computer use, in a very noticeable way.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    OLED and display tech, I think. I like thin, contrasty, robust devices, and displays are relevant to my interests. I'm hopping on the SSD train this weekend. :)
  • chrisWhitechrisWhite Littleton, CO
    edited February 2010
    iPad.

(No, of course not, I just trolling)

I'm tempted to say 3D displays but I just don't feel like they're going to be mature enough in the next two years to really get excited. I think it's a tie between SSDs and new AMD hardware for me.
  • edited February 2010
    I am excited about Tegra2-based (or similar SOC) full-featured tablet PCs running light and efficient operating systems such as Chrome OS. A larger and upgradeable flash storage capacity, an open architecture for running any software I like and compatible with existing USB/bluetooth peripherals, that tablet PC is all I want. Second, I am looking forward to seeing (or dreaming about) the Fermi architecture unifying the CPU and GPU. I am not excited about the "innovations" around archaic x86 architecture for running the hairy behemoth called Windows anymore.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Further uses of Android. More Android Laptops, Desktops, "Pads", Blenders and Microwaves.

-Bobby
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    more workstation GPUs. I'd die to get my hands on the Quadro FX 5800 to face off against the FirePro v8750 (but not really die, because I want to live to bench them)

Of course, not to mention any new workstation hardware that NVIDIA and ATI have in the pipes for this summer.

I agree with Snarkasm and Chris, I would love to see more OLED coverage as the tech further finds its place, and I would like to see more stereoscopic stuff, especially with 3D capable displays. Currently there are only a handful of 3D capable displays on the market (talking PC displays, not HDTVs. I think Viewsonic, Acer, and Samsung are the only ones at the moment) and as the amount of available displays grow, I'm certainly going to consider buying one to upgrade my current display.

Also, from a journalism standpoint, I'd love to get my hands on 3D vision or get the hardware to utilize the FirePro v8750's stereoscopic output.
  • CrisCris Buenos Aires, Arg
    edited February 2010
    I can't wait to see how the next nvidia geforce 400 series will perform against the 5000 series of ATI. I don't know if the card itself will be more powerful but nvidia usually does a better job on the drivers and that's enough for me to get their cards instead of ATI's.
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited February 2010
    +1 for affordable SSD's in the 128gb+ category.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Server hardware. I know I'm not going to get this because I doubt anyone else here is remotely interested in it but oh well. Give me Xeons and Opterons, iSCSI and FCIP! I want hardware RAID controllers and hot swap bays. Oh, while I'm asking for stuff I'll never get, more Linux discussion would be nice as well.
  • GooDGooD Quebec (CAN) Member
    edited February 2010
    32nm GPUs, and SSD of course.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    SSD's for sure & GTX 400 series. No one knows how fast they will be but time will tell.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    I for one still run a C2D and have not found any app/game that has given me reason to want a faster cpu/platform so ill throw my vote in for SSD's and maybe ATI 5 series GPU's
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    cheaper SSDs and video cards that don't cost as much as a Volkswagen

3D monitors o.O
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited February 2010
    I would like to read an article where cheaper SSD's are put in raid 0 and compared in performance to higher end models. I'm curious to know what the price/performance per gig of such a comparison would be.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    I'd like to add a line for cool wireless networking tech.

Take this boxee box, its going to really make it easy to get that stuff off the computer and on the HD TV set. Anything that makes networking at home easier is going to be a hot item.
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    I would have to say the Boxee Box is making my tech glands drool the most.

http://www.boxee.tv/box
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    I guess I should respond to my own thread. Heh.

Boxee Box is the #1 thing I'm looking forward to in 2010. I'll follow that with 25nm/SATA6 SSDs, and then the 32nm war between AMD's Bulldozer and Intel's Westmere chips.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    The Myka Ion from http://myka.tv

I didn't even realize they had released a new version of the Myka.tv box til today, but this thing makes me drool a bit, even though they weren't able to hit the amazingly low price point they did with the original myka.tv box. Oh, and it supports Boxee, not that it matters to me since I gave up on that project months ago due to their refusal to release a build for 64-bit Linux.
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Hmmm...how about a Boxee Box vs. Myka ION comparison review?!
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    1. GPGPU improvements
    2. Multi-core (greater than 4-core) CPUs
    3. Solid state hard drives (when price/volume ratios become comparable with today's electro-optical drives. Until that happens, SSDs are a big yawn)
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    I'm also looking forward to more advanced SOCs like the OMAP and Tegra series. I wonder if Linux will make a comeback to the netbook scene if we get more ARM-based netbooks that run forever on a single charge. I've got a Pandora on the way (two more months?), but it's been in the pipeline so long that it could be trounced by newer chips.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    I was looking forward to UMPC styled devices but recently cancelled my Pandora order as it just feels too... risky and not likely to turn out how I hoped, especially as it costs pretty much £280 here, just doesn't seem worth that cost anymore.

I'm looking forward to more mobile tech (better battery life, smaller, lighter parts on laptops and smaller devices) but more importantly OLED for 2 reasons, 1 is because I'm somewhat sick of "silver" black when trying to play dark games and 2 is for the better response times, no more motion blur.
  • JengoJengo Pasco, WA | USA
    edited February 2010
    I'd like to see more affordable SSD drives... that and hopefully AMD video cards will drop in price a little.