Possible school shooting thwarted on Xbox LIVE

Comments

• edited February 2010
    So wait, i'm confused.

First video games cause school shootings, and now video games prevent them?

Is this bizarro day?
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Holy crap, that is awesome! Sad that a student was plotting (or at least bragging up) a terrible plan of action and was arrested... but awesome that the LIVE gamer stood up and potentially prevented another serious school shooting.

Also: goooooooooo mounties! =D
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Dudley Dooright ftw.
  • edited February 2010
    Dang, I was hoping for a story where someone was planning on shooting up a school, but then got onto Xbox LIVE to blow off some steam instead. Violent video games are an outlet! Do you know how much stress you can relieve by repeatedly beating a hooker with a hammer with no consequences?
  • JengoJengo Pasco, WA | USA
    edited February 2010
    Yeah but if you are planning to shoot up a school you dont need an outlet for stress, you need some serious emotional help.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Jengo wrote:
    Yeah but if you are planning to shoot up a school you dont need an outlet for stress, you need some serious emotional help.
    Or someone needs to get the bullies to stop flushing your head in a toilet.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    So the article has a picture of the original XBox and has this sentence in it, "RCMP contacted Microsoft and their investigators were able to identify the computer through a numeric code" So was the guy using an XBox or a computer?

Did anyone proof this article?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    The VanSun report was probably written by a journalist who knows nothing about PCs or consoles. Happens aaaaall the time in paper press.
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Thrax wrote:
    The VanSun report was probably written by a journalist who knows nothing about PCs or consoles. Happens aaaaall the time in paper press.

Paper? presss? what is this you speak of?
  • chrisWhitechrisWhite Littleton, CO
    edited February 2010
    Thrax nailed it, the reported probably got all the facts right, but didn't know enough about consoles to actually get the not-really-relevant photo matched correctly, I mean, it is an Xbox right? Or, could be that the writer didn't even choose the image and some clueless editor did.

I did do quite a bit of searching for more information from other sources, especially any mention of it in the San Antonio news but The Vancouver Sun seems to be the only one tipped off to the story and without any names being mentioned it's hard to try to track down any further info.