Upgrade the Windows 7 RC to retail

Comments

• edited February 2010
    With the disc version, you remove the files from the disc and find the .exe file and change it. How do you do this with a downloaded version?
  • edited February 2010
    You get a .exe file with the download version which you run to do the install. Before installing, use a hex (binary) editor, find MinClient in the exe file then change MinClient=7233 to MinClient=7077. Re-write the exe file in place and you're good to go.
  • edited February 2010
    Kinda new to this. How do I use and where do I find a hex (binary) editor? Sorry for all the questions, but I really appreciate the help.
  • edited February 2010
    Google hex editor. Find a simple one - some are huge and full of stuff you don't need. Then read directions..very simple.
  • edited February 2010
    I have build 7100.

This works with the Ultimate Upgrade version of windows 7? not just the full retail?

I can buy the 219 dollar Ultimate Upgrade version of Win7 and do this instead of the full 300 dollar retail one?

Sorry for english, I am italian, but live in USA
  • edited February 2010
    So - when I put the CDROM in my drive then I right click on the drive in Contol Panel, right? And then there is a choice of "COPY", right? And I choose to copy the W'7 CDROM onto one of my 3 present partitions....right? Then go into that and make the afore mentioned changes. I need to re-partition my HD - so I would have to choose the clean install route.
    Please tell me IF above steps are correct and IF there are some other "tricks" I should be aware of....like when to activate? I see some say WAIT till fully installed.
    TKS michael
  • edited February 2010
    I am NOT MR. HIGH Tech and am thus a tad scared of tackeling this way of upgrading my HTPC...but being a low income senior citizen....this is the most tempting route for me to "try". I thought I had till like June before my RC would run out....BUT I got a built in 14 day WARNING last night when I fired it up.
    Thus I have to buy the FULL or Upgrade Premium right away.........please advise!

TKS michael
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    You can use an upgrade copy to perform this procedure.
  • cyberizedcyberized Beaverton, OR
    edited February 2010
    I thought the 7100 RC would be good until JUNE and prior to June it would give you Warnings that it would soon expire???? Mine told me last night that I have 14 days to Upgrade to Retail. YIKES! I guess I will opt to buy a retail Upgrade of Premium and try following the instructions here to upgrade my RC to the RTM.

I was wondering though in the instructions on making those changes in the REGistry etc......in the example of where you enter your NEW W'7 Version,,,,,it shows like WINDOWSPREMIUM [or whatever] in ALL CAPS and NO spacing. BUT their example of W'7 Professional is NOT in ALL caps. So when I go to type in my chice of Premium what is the Proper method - please?

TKS michael
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    The article's spacing and capitalization is correct.
  • edited February 2010
    Thanks again! You guys rock...
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Icrontian Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Cyberized, the RC is technically legitimate until June, but starting in March, you'll still have full functionality, but Windows will start rebooting every 2 hours. After that period, the RC will become non-genuine, and you'll start losing functionality as well.
  • edited February 2010
    Used the info here and 'upgraded' from RC Ultimate to Home Premium x64 with no trouble at all. Thanks for the info!
  • edited February 2010
    Thanks so much! This works like a sharm, it saved me a lot of time!!! :)
  • edited February 2010
    MikeD
    GLAD to hear the GOOD Report! Did you do a CLEAN install?

I ordered a W'7 Premium Upgrade yesterday...am nervous in the service as I now await my own GO at IT! I am presently transfering drivers etc. onto a 16GB Flash drive,,,need to know ALL the essentials that I should put on it...for after I do a CLEAN install and re=partition of my 1TB HD.
  • edited February 2010
    Thanks for the instructions! I did this to "downgrade" to an upgrade version of Home Premium. It seems to have worked, but I have now twice run into a situation where the OS hangs completely and I need to force shutdown the PC. Can't do anything else. The waitcursor circle keeps spinning, but something, like Explorer itself is hung. I can't even get to Task Manager. I never had any issues before. It doesn't happen every time, but now happened twice in the last 3 days.

Have you seen or heard of anything like that?

Thanks again,
    John
    edited February 2010
    That's usually an issue related to drivers or a piece of software which isn't shutting down properly.
  • edited February 2010
    How is it that someone can give such detailed in formation & however forget to mention how to access this direct file? "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version" There are a plethora of folders in this registry section. a bit moronic i'd say.
  • edited February 2010
    carl wrote:
    a bit moronic i'd say.

Are you looking for accompany? :wtf:
  • edited February 2010
    Michael Llewellyn

No, I did not do a clean install, I actually did a downgrade upgrade from Ultimate to Home Premium.

So far I have not had JoMo's problem, although Windows startup seems to take a bit longer now.

What I did first was make a complete drive image backup of my OS drive, just in case of upgrade failure.

If you are going to do a clean install, you might want to consider using Windows Easy Transfer to move your files and settings to your new install.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/windows-easy-transfer
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Icrontian Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Carl, it's only moronic if you think you should continue to a folder rather than clicking on the CurrentVersion folder. Everything you want is contained in the CurrentVersion node, not in any of the folders underneath it.

If you've gotten lost at a step, it's much easier and reflects better on your character to ask for clarification than to call somebody a moron - especially when they've gone to all the trouble of putting together a guide that has worked correctly for a ton of other users.
    edited February 2010
    carl wrote:
    How is it that someone can give such detailed in formation & however forget to mention how to access this direct file? "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version" There are a plethora of folders in this registry section. a bit moronic i'd say.

Only as moronic as the anonymous internet thug that can't follow the pretty pictures.
  • edited February 2010
    Mr. Hallock, sir, you are a gentleman and a scholar! This work around has saved me HOURS of un-needed reinstalling. It worked like a dream. I salute you! Thank you so very much!
    edited February 2010
    You're welcome. :) Thanks for stopping by Icrontic!
  • edited February 2010
    I'm Dutch, and it said that this wasn't possible for EURO users. Am I doomed to do a clean install then anyway or have there been improvements so I can simply upgrade from the RC to retail?
  • Max
    edited February 2010
    Hello!

First of all, thank you Thrax for doing/coming up with this!

For me, as I try to follow your step-by step, I keep coming up with a Windows message that says that registry can´t be updated like 30-40 minutes into the installation. Then the installation wants to roll back (happens automatically although maybe I have time to change the installation program´s boot option from "win7 roll back" to "win 7").

There are some differences in my registry files compared to yours. All *build registries say 7100 for me whereas yours say 7600. Also, when running regedit, I have no HKLM, mine says HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE but I guess thats just an abbreviation?

Does any of this make any sense and is there a solution for this?

Again, big Thank You from Sweden!
  • Max
    edited February 2010
    Oh, forgot to mention that I am trying to upgrade to Professional. Could it be that I have another version of professional and instead of changing the EditionID and ProductName registries to Professional and Windows 7 Professional should change them to something like "Professional (x86)" and "Windows 7 Professional (x86)"?
    edited February 2010
    The images and the instructions in this guide were taken and written as I personally upgraded a 7100 build to the final build (7600). The exception is the picture of the registry, which I took on the 7600 build as the screens are identical for the purposes of identifying the relevant registry entries.

Secondarily, I did as you did: Upgraded from Ultimate (release candidate 7100) to Professional retail (7600).

Finally, HKLM is indeed just a common acronym for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

There are many reasons why the upgrade process isn't going as planned. You might try making sure that all the registry files in C:\Windows\system32\config are not flagged as read only files, and that you have at least 15-20GB free on your OS drive for it to move files around.

Otherwise, it could be a driver, or another piece of software that is preventing the upgrade from occurring, but it's practically impossible to tell which one.
  • edited February 2010
    Just for reference, I also went from the RC to professional - the 64bit vrsion. The work-around, just as pictured, worked seamlessly. And after the install not one program failed to operate (and I have many). The only difference now than from the eginning is that the window evaluation notice is gone and replaced with Windows 7 Professional. Again, this work-around saved me hours of frustrating reinstalls. Thanks Again Thrax!
  • edited February 2010
    Quick question which I think was already answered. I can copy the contents of the DVD (Windows 7 Ultimate RTM) to a folder on my desktop or C drive, then edit the cversion.ini and then run the setup from this folder on my desktop? Doesn't need to be on another partition or bootable flash drive, right?

Once complete, I can delete the folder I created with all the installation files?
This discussion has been closed.