Aliens vs. Predator preview: the good, the bad, the ugly

UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA:Redwood City, CA Icrontian
edited February 2010 in Gaming

Comments

• chrisWhitechrisWhite Littleton, CO
    edited February 2010
    I understand why, for the sake of the game, humans have to be balanced but it seems odd that they're on the same ground with the Xenomorphs and Predators.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Do you mean in terms of removing the crouch?

I would agree and disagree. The balance is pretty darn close, but I don't think crouch would really push the balance in favor of the Marines. Sure the Predators have projectiles and no crouch, but their weapons hardly perform to the way the Marine's weapons do. Automatic gun fire is generally a mess when you have to remain standing.

Then again, in the case of weapon accuracy, that could just be a standard that we've come to expect because every other FPS has done it that way.
  • GrimnocGrimnoc Marion, IN
    edited February 2010
    Bobby, this is a great demo review. Far better than any others I've read online. Seriously man, good job!
    edited February 2010
    Thankya much! :D
  • chrisWhitechrisWhite Littleton, CO
    edited February 2010
    No, I mean at a more fundamental level, regardless of the game, humans shouldn't be balanced with aliens or predators. I know that doesn't work for a game but it still seems weird.
  • Rob
    edited February 2010
    Sorry but there is no way the Marines are the most powerful. You can hit the alien 2-3 times with a shotgun and it won't kill them, but meanwhile he can super sprint off a wall, punch you twice, and you're dead.

Plus trophy kills are super easy.

I've played as all three and there is absolutely no way I'd call the human the most powerful. He's awful.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Maybe your play-style isn't suited for the marine. While playing the beta, I was doing well as marine. In fact, my second game as a marine I started with a 10 kill streak. Then I switched up my tactics and got absolutely demolished.

Not saying you're a bad player at all. Perhaps you game in a way that makes you better at playing alien or predator.
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    I have toyed around with the game a little, and I find I like the predators best (in single player, haven tried mp), with marines as a close second. It might just be me being a n00b, but I find it somewhat hard to control the Xenomorphs (although I guess it can be improved by changing controls, which I, due to laziness, haven't gotten around to). I gotta say, I'm really impressed with how this game has managed to scare me. It's creepy. I've just scratched the surface of the single player campaign(s), and 2 minutes in to the game (playing as Marine, first try) I realized this was going to be a creepy game just by looking at the limited light from the flashlight, and the pings from unseen enemies on my motion detector.

I recommend this game.
    edited February 2010
    The Xenomorphs are definitely difficult to control - considerably more difficult than they were in the other games. If you master the control though, it becomes a very rewarding experience.

I've seen Marines sit at the top of the scoreboards very consistently. Perhaps it's known exploits, perhaps it's balance, or perhaps it's just skilled players, but one way or another they seemed to have the advantage in the demo.