D&D on the Microsoft Surface

MAGICMAGIC Doot DootFurniture City, Michigan Icrontian
edited February 2010 in Gaming

Comments

• ColgereColgere Cincinnati, OH Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Indeed, I've been watching this with interest since I first heard about it a couple years ago. I'd really love for this to become available for a reasonable price. :D
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited February 2010
    Well with that new synaptic roll on touch screen technology that's working it's way through the possibilities of this should come way down in price (theoretically.)

Question is how Cheeto resistant is it.
  • ColgereColgere Cincinnati, OH Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    kryyst wrote:
    Well with that new synaptic roll on touch screen technology that's working it's way through the possibilities of this should come way down in price (theoretically.)

Question is how Cheeto resistant is it.

Indeed, this issue is the first one that must be addressed. :bigggrin:
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Oh man, that is so cool!!
  • GrimnocGrimnoc Marion, IN
    edited February 2010
    That's all kinds of awesome.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    I was more interested in the article linked from that one about Settlers of Catan being a Silicon Valley staple. :D But this does look pretty sweet assuming WoTC lets them un-vapor their wares.
    edited February 2010
    What really makes this technology cool. Is that it could be used to simulate any number of board games with 3d graphics. That is where I really see some hugely cool potential.
    edited February 2010
    kryyst wrote:
    What really makes this technology cool. Is that it could be used to simulate any number of board games with 3d graphics. That is where I really see some hugely cool potential.

See, this is where I'd think I'd stop. Not that I don't think I could enjoy a "hologram" board game if you will, but part of the reason I love board games is due to the pure "physicalness" of it. I like the bits and pieces, the stand-up cardboard characters, chits and counters, etc.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    You can still have 3D physical pieces (as demo'd in the video) and have 3D graphics underneath it.
    edited February 2010
    Snarkasm wrote:
    You can still have 3D physical pieces (as demo'd in the video) and have 3D graphics underneath it.

I haven't been able to yet watch the video because I'm at work. I'll be sure to do so when I get home so I can share a more informed opinion on the matter. :)
    edited February 2010
    So I watched the video and think I should clarify what I meant by "liking to have the physical pieces."

When krysst mentioned that you could simulate other boardgames with 3D graphics I incorrectly made the jump to substituting all physical pieces for virtual representations on the screen.

As you (Snark) pointed out it doesn't necessarily have to be an either-or scenario.

For me the great part about this technology is that the virtual aspects are there to purely facilitate play. It is used to automatically calculate things that otherwise slow the game down, not to needlessly replace aspects of the game.

I would be disheartened if by using this technology boardgames became less physical and more virtual. To me it then becomes less a boardgame and more a video game.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Imagine this: You buy a new copy of "Settlers of Catan" it comes with a flash drive and a box of pieces. You play by installing the software, and setting the pieces on the surface. It needs no DRM because you can't play without the pieces. Each player sets their mobile phone on the surface for a momment to sync it up, then the game begins.

The surface draws up the board, and tells you who is going first. As the players set down the pieces the board keeps track, and shows scores and stats. It knows what the dice rolls are (real dice with surface sensors on each plane), automatically sending player's cards to their phone display to be kept private.

--

I don't think this would decrease the physical part of board gaming at all. I think it would allow for much more complicated board games to be played without forcing the players to do all the score-keeping and rules governing.
    edited February 2010
    What I'm envisioning is for something like this to interact at various levels of immersion. At the most basic level the table would draw the board and track points. It's just a digital representation of the board. Of course it could benefit from showing moving water on the board, grass in the breeze farmers working in the fields etc... - if you wanted.

Then from there you can go up a level and have it also digitally represent counters and various other elements.

One level further you could have it digitally represent the pieces as well adding in animations and other effects of course.

Next you turn on what rules you want the game to handle, will it roll dice for you, will it track other things automatically etc....

Lastly you have it link up to various other devices to send private digital data to them like development cards in Catan.

I also would imagine that when you buy a game it is still a fully stand alone experience. Only it includes digital supplementation for the table (perhaps at a nominal fee). Some game companies, Days of Wonder area already doing something like this. By including codes in their games that give you access to an online version of the game or some other digital bonus.