how do i protect computer, plz help!!!!

edited February 2010 in Science & Tech
i am new to owning a computer and all ready i have had issues. I currently have AVG free but nothing else. i was wondering what software is best and what i need to protect my computer. I've heard about adding a personal firewall but dont know what any of this means. please help

Comments

• adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Lots of possibilities and opinions here but I will give you mine. I also run AVG. However, I also use SpywareBlaster: http://www.majorgeeks.com/SpywareBlaster_d2859.html and Spybot: http://www.majorgeeks.com/SpyBotSearch_&_Destroy_Tools_d2471.html.
    I use Malwarebytes as a routine scanner: http://www.majorgeeks.com/Malwarebytes_Anti-Malware_d5756.html.

Depending on your operating system, you may be able to use Microsoft's Windows Defender.

I don't use a software firewall because I hate nag screens and prompts. However, that is just me. Form your own opinion on that. I am behind a hardware router configured to block pings from the WAN. You may be able to do this depending on your internet connection setup.

However, NONE of these will protect you from human error (bad judgment on the internet). I will use my brother-in-law as an example (he's impulsive and reckless as hell; I am always purging his computer of some type of malware). Though he has the same software installed as I do, his system is nearly always infected with something while mine is not. The difference is in how we use our pc's. I told him the following but he doesn't listen:
    1: Avoid Chatrooms on-line
    2. Avoid Limewire
    3. Avoid Warez
    4. Avoid Wild Tangent gaming
    5. Avoid accepting on-line prompts to "download trial software"--Ask for guidance in forums like these first
    6. Avoid "steamy" websites.

To each his own.
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited February 2010
    except windows defender is MSE Microsoft Security Essentials iirc , one of the finest bits of advice I've seen for a new user, use a limited account for browsing much safer IMO. I personally like SPYBOT SD in advanced mode with teatimer active on my systems , and another vote for spywareblaster :bigggrin:
  • adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian
    edited February 2010
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited February 2010
    All very true what has been said above.

Avira has the highest detection rate but that only find 75% of infections and loses credability for due to the high number of false alerts. Avast is another option that scores well. I will put another vote for Spybot Search and Destroy although I prefer not to use tea timer as I find it can be a bit of a resource hog.

I also dont bother with a software firewall as my ADSL router has a built in firewall which is far more effective than a software firewall. You may wish to consider a software firewall if you would like to set up additional local programme control.

In addition to what has been mentioned above. YOU MUST NEVER HAVE MORE THAN ONE ANTIVIRUS INSTALLED AT ONE TIME.

your own common sense is the bigest protection that you have.

and your AV is only as good as your deffinitions. Out of dat AV is as good as no AV
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    I have an old Dell Latitude CPi-A 366XT laptop (366 Mhz Pentium 2), it does some Limewire stuff. I have XP Home and NO antivirus software on it, because if it gets a virus and gets all messed up, then big deal, I'll just reformat / reload it. It's an old spare computer now, kind of slow but works well for what it is.

It hasn't had a virus problem in 2 years now, but then again, I don't do dumb things on Limewire, like try to download a video with an 11 KB file size. Pay attention to what you're clicking on!

Is Comodo Firewall any good? I've found it to be a real pain in the ass when trying to install anything, it'll constantly pop up warnings and all sorts of junk. Are you sure you want to install this? Really? Are you really really really sure? Stuff like that. Sygate Firewall always worked well for me. I still use AVG Free, I'll have to try Avira someday. Even though AVG works fine for my needs.

But as others have said, experience is the best way not to get viruses. If you click on every free offer, survey, and free game trial you see, you're gonna mess up a computer no matter what you have for antivuris software on it. Nothing is free, that blinking flashing icon just begging you to click it hides a secret that you won't know until it is too late.

Also, create a second "junk" email account, like Hotmail or Yahoo or something, for when you want to go to a site but you need to register and include an email address first. That way your main email doesn't get loaded with junk offers trying to get you to buy everything in the world.
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited February 2010
    Comodo is good but I too found it gave me a lot of pop ups. If you are using XP have a look for Online Armour Free. It too me a while to find a download for the free version but it is much better. It used to score higher in the leak tests and you get less pop ups
  • GrimnocGrimnoc Marion, IN
    edited February 2010
    Just put a bulletproof vest on it.
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Grimnoc I think you got it all wrong, he is asking about help from viruses. Bulletproof vest won't work against something internal. I recommend a good strong anti-biotic. Penicillin should do the trick.
  • GrimnocGrimnoc Marion, IN
    edited February 2010
    Ah, Koreish how right you are!
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited February 2010
    and ensure you wear protection before inserting anything!!!
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    RichD wrote:
    and ensure you wear protection before inserting anything!!!
    :tim:;D