Please rob me!

GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz QueenMountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
edited February 2010 in Science & Tech

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    This is total BS, grandstanding, and an attempt to get traffic.

Just because someone checks in to Foursquare does NOT mean their house is empty, by any means.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    It's not a guarantee, you're right. It's a pretty damn strong indicator, however.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    It certainly increases the odds, though.

It's legit. People are paranoid about their phone's GPS telling the carriers where they are, but they'll gladly broadcast that they're the mayor of the pizza place four blocks down. It's pretty silly.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    I think that a trip to target might not make someone a more likely theft target, but if you tweet something like "Taking the family on vacation to Hawaii, see you all next week", that's gonna up your odds of being robbed.
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Considering how much information we put on social media sites today, I don't think that it would be terrifically hard for a smart thief to figure out how many people live in a house and when they aren't home.
    edited February 2010
    This is total BS, grandstanding, and an attempt to get traffic.

Just because someone checks in to Foursquare does NOT mean their house is empty, by any means.

1. You post your own address on Twitter.
    2. You post that you have two children who are in school; this virtually guarantees they're out of the house between 9 AM and 2 PM.
    3. You've posted that your roommate has a job, virtually guaranteeing he'll be out of those between 9 and 4.
    4. You broadcast that you're not home through Foursquare.

Still sure someone can't figure out when your house is empty, and where it's located?
    edited February 2010
    Thrax wrote:
    1. You post your own address on Twitter.
    2. You post that you have two children who are in school; this virtually guarantees they're out of the house between 9 AM and 2 PM.
    3. You've posted that your roommate has a job, virtually guaranteeing he'll be out of those between 9 and 4.
    4. You broadcast that you're not home through Foursquare.

Still sure someone can't figure out when your house is empty, and where it's located?

It's cool, it's not like he has a crazy asian stalker who wants to take his penis.
  • GrimnocGrimnoc Marion, IN
    edited February 2010
    I think the lesson we all need to learn here is the need to dispossess ourselves of all electronic devices, drop off the grid, and go forth into the wilderness.

There we will take up shelter in abandoned missile silos and mountainside caves. We will learn to break wild horses and tame our surroundings. Our nails will become caked with soil and bodies covered in the sweat of a hard day's work.

In this new age no longer will our days be drowned in a never-ending stream of meaningless data. The need to instantly communicate each microscopic change in our lives will slow and whither. The fetters of technology will slough from our shoulders. We will be unburdened.
  • chrisWhitechrisWhite Littleton, CO
    edited February 2010
    Here's the thing, for most of us, this doesn't matter at all. Unless you're super wealthy or have exceptionally expensive things to steal then posting that you're out at the coffee shop is exactly like pulling your car out of the garage while someone's watching. Unless you're a specific target then this really changes nothing. The sheer number of people using services like Brightkite, Foursquare or even Twitter if you're on a phone with GPS and have geolocation on it's more trouble then it's worth for someone to collect information and rob you.

It seems to me like it's an argument similar to those made by people think you should never, ever, meet someone online in real life because they're probably some creepy internet stalker. Sure, they're out there, but at this point you're about as likely to meet a creepy stalker at the grocery store as one in a mainstream web situation.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Oh, the evil things I could do with the aid of the internet, but I do not for I am a cool god fearing kind of guy, but trust me, It's crossed my mind.

We had a series of robberies near our home about a year ago. They would case their victims by just watching their behavior and taking notes as the drove around. Mr. leaves for work 6:30 AM, Mrs. grocery shops every Wed at about noon. They would try and get in behind the Mrs. without forcing an entry, simply walk right in behind her, knowing the Mr. and the kids were away. Apparently they never hurt anyone, because they never got into a fight, heres the deal, cash, purse, jewelry, and the twix bars you just bought and we will be leaving.

Point being, they can case you the old fashioned way, or the new way. Lock your doors, get an alarm, and make a habit of cleaning your firearm while sitting in broad daylight on your front porch.
    edited February 2010
    +10 for having dogs.
  • GrimnocGrimnoc Marion, IN
    edited February 2010
    Point being, they can case you the old fashioned way, or the new way. Lock your doors, get an alarm, and make a habit of cleaning your firearm while sitting in broad daylight on your front porch.

Or take my advice, which is infinitely cooler.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Since most burglars don't do their robberies on impulse but actually do their research. They'll already know your name, when you leave and where you work. At the very least, this site will let the burglar cyberstalk you to get the info instead of physically stalking you.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    shwaip wrote:
    It's cool, it's not like he has a crazy asian stalker who wants to take his penis.
    I would hope that if he weren't home this wouldn't be an issue...
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Grimnoc wrote:
    Or take my advice, which is infinitely cooler.

Lets see what Thrax thinks about that ;D (he would not last two hours)

Hey man, I'm not 100% opposed to it. I go on vacation for a week every summer and I don't touch a PC, and I barely touch a cell phone, and its actually pretty fantastic. I endorse your plan as long as the cave is relatively warm in winter.
    edited February 2010
    He had me until "dispossess."
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    I wonder how this will change the show It Takes a Thief?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    I happily blast my information out there for everyone to see. Let's consider it a social experiment of sorts, or a conscious rejection of privacy for my own weird needs. Perhaps I am an exhibitionist or just insecure.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    So because you're happy to do it, it's not a legitimate concern for anybody? Total BS grandstanding? What about when you tweet that you're at Mom's with Snarky? Anybody who knows about me knows I'm out of the country and likely not coming back any time soon, at that point.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Clearly the real lesson here is don't own anything that's worth stealing... unless you can take it with you when you leave the house.
    edited February 2010
    mertesn wrote:
    I would hope that if he weren't home this wouldn't be an issue...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDss8V2OME4
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Not to be confused with the altruistic website pleaserobeme.com

shielding the world from nakedness after showering since 1999.
    edited February 2010
    BrightKite responds (though not directly).

P.S. I'll take BrightKite over FourSquare any day of the week.
  • JengoJengo Pasco, WA | USA
    edited February 2010
    Meh.. dont even use twitter that much...
  • djmephdjmeph Detroit Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    I saw someone today who posted their address on Twitter. I don't meant to stereotype but it's usually iPhone users.
  • djmephdjmeph Detroit Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    1. I live in the hood, in Pontiac.
    2. My pregnant roommate sleeps through everything.
    3. I'm a geek so I have lot's of expensive toys throughout the house, most of them portable.
    4. Mess with my pit bull. I dare ya.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Grandstanding by Cyber-luddites.

It's the same type of hyperbole that's used throughout the world by people who have a beef against something they don't totally understand.
  • DrLiamDrLiam British Columbia
    edited February 2010
    Was thinking of signing up for Foursquare but now I'm going to think twice, great article! Thanks.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    I don't know why we're acting like this is a new phenomenon. If you want to burglarize some nerds, the ham radio community has been doing this for decades. There are websites where you can check the current locations of hams in a geographic area and the FCC maintains an online listing of their mailing addresses. You can also safely assume that anyone using the service is:

1) Over 60 years old.
    2) Has a lot of nice stuff.

To date, I haven't heard of any hams getting stalked or burglarized.

-drasnor :fold: