StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty closed beta begins

ThraxThrax 🐌Austin, TX Icrontian
edited March 2010 in Gaming

Comments

• KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    According to Gamestop it is set to be released New Year's Eve at the cost of 59.99USD.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    If that's right, all I have to say is fuck you Blizzard. I'm not paying $180 for, essentially, one game.
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    ardichoke wrote:
    If that's right, all I have to say is fuck you Blizzard. I'm not paying $180 for, essentially, one game.

You know you will indeed pay it, and like paying it, once you get your hands on the game.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    One of my friends got into the beta, lucky shmuck!
  • chrisWhitechrisWhite Littleton, CO
    edited February 2010
    ardichoke wrote:

That's just silliness, we have no real idea what we're looking at yet. Considering how long they could potentially have been working on SC2, even how long we know they've been working on it the could easily have three entire games worth of material. If that's the case I'll be happy to pay for that, even if it's not all at one time.

I think it's too early to call and it's way too early to get pissed off.
    edited February 2010
    Can you find one instance in the past where each faction in an RTS was sold separately at the price tag of a single full game each? I can't think of any. Considering there's no difference in the AI, engine, units, etc. between the three games you'll have a hell of a time convincing me it's worth shelling out $60 3 times over to get all 3 campaigns. At least the expansion packs of yore came with more units, extended tech trees and a lower price tag. The fact that buying one episode, from what I've read, will allow you to run play all three sides in multiplayer, the only content that differs between the 3 installments is the maps and cut scenes. Unless they are doing something drastically and radically different than any other RTS ever. In which case I MIGHT (and that is a HUGE MIGHT) consider buying them.
  • chrisWhitechrisWhite Littleton, CO
    edited February 2010
    Right, so SC2 is doing something radically different ("Can you find one instance...") but you think that probably won't be worth the money, unless they're doing something radically different in which case you might?

I see what you're saying, I agree on the engine and everything else but I just don't feel like we know enough about the games get mad and flame Blizzard with so little know about what's actually coming. I'll ask you this though, have you ever felt like you didn't get your money's worth in a Blizzard game before? Sure, WoW is a money sink but I never hear anyone complain about the value of it.

I'm not saying I agree with what they're doing or that it won't be a waste of money, but there's so little we know at this point that I don't feel comfortable calling it either way. I do tend to trust Blizzard though.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    All I care about is the multiplayer, and I'd pay $60 to get my hands on SC2's multiplayer, which comes with WoL. That said, EB Games and Gamestop both have a history of over-estimating the MSRP of titles when they project its release date years in advance, as they have done with SC2.
    edited February 2010
    I don't play WoW specifically because I don't feel any game is worth a monthly fee. Historically speaking, no, I haven't felt ripped off by any Blizzard game I've bought. Then again, the only Blizz games I've bought were the WCIII Battle chest and the SC Battle chest. If they had broken WCIII or SC into 3 separate installments and charged full price for each, yes, I would have felt ripped off.
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Just noticed I never opted in for Beta's on Battle.net, oops. Make sure you do that people or you won't get into anything!
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    I got an invite woot!~
    edited February 2010
    Man this download is taking ages......
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    I'd pay a butt-load for what's in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joNPrnY4K_4
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Maybe they'll do it like an expansion set. The WoL will be the full cost of a game and HotS and LotV will be 20-30USD. I'll be okay with this setup so long as new Multiplayer content is released simultaneously with the single player campaigns.
    edited February 2010
    DoTA 2.0
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    This had better live up to my expectations, which are pretty high!!!!!!!!
  • edited February 2010
    Would the Zerg be considered raman, or varelse?
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Would the Zerg be considered raman, or varelse?

ramen.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    The second wave of invites were sent out today, check your blizzard account to see if you got in.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    Anyone in the beta playing a lot? Looks like a bunch of fun, and I can't wait to either get a beta invite (i'm opted-in) or for the game to be released.

Watching youtube videos is just making me antsy.
  • MyrmidonMyrmidon Baron von Puttenham California Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    @shwaip I've got a buddy in the beta who's currently top of the platinum ladder in division seven, but that's about as close as I am to 'playing a lot.' :)