Wanted: Fresh Website with Shopping Cart System

Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
edited June 2010 in Internet & Media
So once again I pick up the stick of looking for a very good website designer who can implement a shopping cart system into a website that can track inventory & use either Paypal or Google checkout.

The cash I have for this project is much lower than any company of scale would even look at it for, but I need fresh ideas & well my coding and web design skills have fallen off the truck.

If your a freelance guy who can do the above please send me a PM. I have about $500 to work with for the entire project so only people who are willing to work under that scope send me pm's.

Comments

• jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    You might be better off either using a Yahoo Sites type of thing since you can setup a shopping cart on the fly, or download Magento (free open source content management e-com system).

It's gonna be hard to really get much custom for that budget. You could certainly probably get a design for that price, but an shopping cart might be a bit harder.

How many items will it have? You might just be able to use the paypal stuff if it is just a few....
  • fmuellerfmueller Auckland, NZ Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    I am just setting up a shopping cart system for my local fish club. I am also managing their web site - all for free. Following the good advice of people on this forum some years ago, I use Wordpress as CMS. There is a free shopping cart plugin available for Wordpress (WP Ecommerce), and so far it seem to be working like a charm. It is highly customizable, tracks inventory, and supports a wide range of payment systems. My club will only use PayPal, but Google Checkout is definitely supported as well. If you can migrate your web site fairly easily to Wordpress, that might be the way to go. Just my 2c.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    In addition to what fmueller said, there are some relatively decent free shopping card software packages around such as Magento, Prestashop and OSCommerce.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    The problem is I do not have the time to throw it all together.
  • CyrixInsteadCyrixInstead Stoke-on-Trent, England Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    I used osCommerce for a few years but it's a dinosaur now and the rendering of the site is still html tables.

I ditched it for Prestashop recently (www.absolutelybabyliss.com) which is way better. It uses modular code so that you don't have to change the source when installing plugins (osCommerce was terrible for that and as a result I ended up with a woefully insecure and out of date shop as I didn't have 6 hours to spare each time there was a new release).

There are not many decend themes for it yet, but they are coming out slowly but surely. It takes a bit of setting up, but nothing you couldn't do one Saturday morning. It's very intuitive.

I had a crack at designing my own theme on www.absolutelybabyliss.com but it doesn't render correctly in IE6. I spent so long getting it working in all the other browsers I just don't have the heart to fix it for IE6 users, and yes I know over 10% of browsers are still on IE6 and you wouldn't want to turn away 10% of your customers at the door but what the hey.

~Cyrix
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    For $500 your best bet is probably oDesk...but even then you aren't getting a whole lot for that kind of cash.

Maybe you can secure more capital from your client because you should be expecting to spend anywhere from $2000-25000 depending on the scale and complexities of your project.