Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Yes, Basher, you can do just that. :)
  • edited February 2010
    Awesome thanks!
  • cyberizedcyberized Beaverton, OR
    edited February 2010
    Please advise: When we go to do this install/upgrade, prior to actually starting the actual start up, is it necessary that everything like USB devices; ethernet connection etc. all be disconnected? I read at one site that one must do that....BUT???? Or can I just leave everything as is.....make the copy of the NEW OS, make changes to it's registry etc. Then go to the NEW W'7 CDROM in drive and find it's "setup" command and HIT IT....kick back and say a prayer?

Another thing that I have read somewhere - is that it will tell you somewhere near the beginning of the install to verify/register your new OS with MS; and the advice was to ignore or say will do later......then after it all installed then you Register. Does this apply in our process?

I am waiting for my NEW W'7 Premium to arrive,,,,,my system warned me last night, again, but this time said 11 days before SHUT DOWN, would be 10 today.

Preparing my 16GB USB Flash Drive for when it gets here: Put MOST of the data that Easy Transfer collects up for you on it [3GB]; Drivers for my ATI G. Card; Drivers for Ausus Xonar Sound Card; Arcsoft DVD Player software.
    I think I have like 7 GB left on the stick.......can you think of anything else that i shold put on it...........IF not I think I'll put 4 patches for Call of Duty on there and call it good.

TKS to ALL! michael
    edited February 2010
    You can leave everything connected. All you have to do after following this guide is insert the Windows 7 DVD and follow the on-screen instructions to upgrade your OS.

You can register the OS with your CD key during the upgrade. It's fine.
    edited February 2010
    Thanking God I found this site and your GOOD Samaritan HELP - THRAX!
    edited February 2010
    WELL - The Time has Come Today! YOU could say! I received my NEW OS in mail today.....I have the CDROM presently in my HTPC Drive, and am wanting//trying to make that copy of it onto my HD......HOW exactly do you do that. please tell? I thought it would be as simple as right click on the CDROM and choose "Copy", just found out that it is NOT that simple.

TKS michael
    edited February 2010
    Highlight all the files. Right click and hit copy. Create a new folder somewhere and then hit paste.
    edited February 2010
    GREAT! TKS! Now have that done and the 1st change made in "Sources"; BUT stuck now on how to open the Registry in that NEW OS; have gone thru everyone of those folders but cannot find....please direct me steps?

TKS michael

PS - Hope you are handy tomorrow [BEWARE!] because I plan to take the plunge tomorrow AM when am fresh and have the day ahead of me to deal with problems IF they just might arise. HeeHee!
    edited February 2010
    You open the registry on the current OS.
    edited February 2010
    Roger dat! TKS [again]
  • edited February 2010
    FYI, worked like a charm from a folder in c:\

Thanks!
  • edited February 2010
    I can confirm that this solution worked for both the 32-bit and 64-bit version of Home Premium.

Great, simple article and solution.
  • edited February 2010
    Hello,
    Thanks for your use tips.
    My question is: Can I just stop my Windows RS 7100 from being restarted every two hours without an upgrade?
    I will be very thankful if there's a way.
    edited February 2010
    No, there is no way to do that.
  • edited February 2010
    I need to do this on multiple machines - can I use the media to upgrade RC Ultimate to Pro, but then use the Serial Key found on a Upgrade Anytime purchase for activation - thereby saving me $100 per machine? As far as I understand, the serial just indicates the version so wouldn't this work?
    edited February 2010
    THRAX: TKS for ALL. I have a Positive and Negative report to make. 1st: The INSTALL using your instructions actually went smoother than silk in spite of all my nervousness. BUT, this is where I need further advice, having to upgrade I also wanted to do a CLEAN install and re=partition my HD because previous owner had put an unuseable version of Vista on one partition.......so I chose do to a "CUSTOM" install.....and when it got to the place where it asked where to put the NEW W'7 I picked a partition.....BUT down below in smaller print it had an option, something like, IF you want to re-partition then RE-START the Install. Here, I hesitated, thinking they MUST mean to go back and click on "SetUp" again?????? Unsure, I just HOPED that it would still re-format the present partitions. As you would well know it did not.....so it esentially did an upgrade which made it nice because so much that was already functional still is.....BUT I still have the old RC W'7 and that old useless Vista on there too.
    I am writing now before I install anything else on this new OS.....I need to get your help about essentially starting this over and really doing it right....making it truly a CLEAN W'7 Premium install.
    Tell me IF this is what i need to do: put the CDROM back in; Hit Setup again, then when it gets to that place where it tells you to re-start to re-partition - - - go back and hit set-up again, then I will be able to tell it how big to make each partition and where to put the new OS [iit should then reformat etc] and be on it's way again eh?

TKS michael
    edited February 2010
    I'm not sure why you followed this guide if you're looking to start fresh with Windows. But if that's what you really want to do...

1. Make sure you have all your important info backed up because this will destroy all information.
    2. Turn your computer on with the DVD in the drive so it boots from the disc.
    3. Start the setup and choose ADVANCED.
    4. Delete all partitions on the drive.
    5. Create a new partition of whatever size you want (I advise about 30GB. Install everything else you ever install and save to the second partition it automatically creates).
    6. Begin the install.
  • edited February 2010
    I can't seem to get this to work from 7100 to Windows 7 Ultimate N (Both 64bit) Anyone else tried it?
  • edited February 2010
    Dont worry I sorted it with an adjustment of the registry along the lines you guided ta matey
  • edited February 2010
    Followed the instructions, did the install, typed the product key but it's hung up at the Home Network connection screen. The screen after I chose which location my computer is located. It says it's 'connecting to your network and applying settings.' It's been hung up at this screen for 15 minutes. This is the second time. It hung for almost 30 minutes before, I shut the PC down and rebooted but did the same thing. Any suggestions?
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Are you connected to a network that's properly giving out IP addresses?
  • edited February 2010
    Hmmm, I dont know if I am connected to a network that properly gives out IP addresses. How do I find out? It's my home network. I have the PC, connected directly to router and a laptop connected wirelessly.
  • edited February 2010
    It hung at that screen all night. Finally turned it off but I really need some help to fix this.
    edited February 2010
    There are many reasons why the upgrade process isn't going as planned. It could be a driver, or another piece of software that is preventing the upgrade from occurring, but it's practically impossible to tell which one.
  • edited February 2010
    Even if it's gotten this far into the upgrade, after adding the product key?
  • Tom
    edited February 2010
    This worked for Ultimate. This really saved me a lot of work. Thanks!!!
  • edited February 2010
    With the hanging issue at the Home Network (connecting to your network and applying settings) screen, what do you recommend I do?
  • edited February 2010
    hey thrax,i did the same as mentioned here, bt facing the same prob as b4. it's still showin me the expiry date of 2-3-2010. wt 2 do xactly ?
    mine is build 7227 n i chngd it 2 7000(bt u've mentioned 7077). n plz tel me abt step-3. do i need 2 make any chngs in it ?! m nt sure wt 2 do coz hav already tried this process, not worked :(
    well, 1 more thg-shall i put the same product key wt i'd done during the RC installation ?!
    plz help me :)
  • edited February 2010
    Hey sorry for the naggyness about the OEM thing, but I don't want to spent 180 bucks and find out it doesn't work. So just to make sure, this copy would work, right? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116762 the quicker response the better thank you :)
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Sumit - would you mind typing full words? It makes figuring out what you're saying easier. You shouldn't use the product key you used for the RC - that's an RC key. You need to put in your valid Windows 7 final key.

Ethan, that copy will work.

Mike, I suggest disconnecting your PC from all networks (physically unplug any ethernet cables and remove any wireless cards) and just seeing if the install finishes. If it does and you can boot into Windows, you can debug networking from there.
This discussion has been closed.