Upgrade the Windows 7 RC to retail

Comments

• edited February 2010
    Thanks Snarkasm, I'll get back to this forum as soon as the success is accomplished!
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Sumit wrote:
    hey thrax,i did the same as mentioned here, bt facing the same prob as b4. it's still showin me the expiry date of 2-3-2010. wt 2 do xactly ?
    mine is build 7227 n i chngd it 2 7000(bt u've mentioned 7077). n plz tel me abt step-3. do i need 2 make any chngs in it ?! m nt sure wt 2 do coz hav already tried this process, not worked :(
    well, 1 more thg-shall i put the same product key wt i'd done during the RC installation ?!
    plz help me :)

I can't help people I can't understand.
  • edited February 2010
    hi all, after doing upgrade to win 7 ultimate i keep getting a dos window that says system32 wpeinit startnet.cmd after the first reboot, any idea why? installing from modded file on hard drive as well....thnx
  • edited February 2010
    After getting those nag messages from MS, I did the install RC to Pro. It took about 1.5 hrs, without a hitch all my "stuff" is still there.
  • edited February 2010
    just finished with attempt number 6 trying to upgrade win 7 rc build 7100 to to win 7 ultimate 64 using the above instructions but after first reboot command prompt stills comes up saying system32 wpeinit startnet.cmd. very frustrating. any help in this matter would be very much appreciated...thnx again for your interest
  • edited February 2010
    sorry for my previous post that you guys didn't understand !
    well, i wanna say that i followed the same process as u have mentioned. but it still shows me the expiry date as before. so i want to know that which key i should put when it asks me for product key because i've only one key which i used during the time of RC version installation. or do i need to make any other chnages !
    the version i am using is windows 7 Ultimate RC build 7227. so i guess, step-3 is not required to follow in my case.
    guys...plz help me. any kind of help will be appreciated.
    regards,
    sumit
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    You need an actual Windows 7 key - I can't be more clear than I was last time. If you use the key that you got for the Release Candidate, guess what - you're still going to have the Release Candidate, not the final version of Windows. Do you own a legal copy of Windows 7?
  • edited February 2010
    @Snarkasm
    No man, i dont own a legal copy of windows 7. so i dont have the actual key of it. now can u plz tel me where to find the actual key of it because keys available on the interent are not working as i had tried them on this installed RC version.
    plz tell me what to do ?
    and thk u for ur help. :)
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    We cannot assist you in performing any illegal actions including installing software without a valid license.
    edited February 2010
    Sumit, this is one version of Windows you should really buy. Other than that, Icrontic will not discuss piracy, nor will we help you achieve it. If you're unwilling to purchase a license, please feel free to visit some other community who is willing.
  • Ryn
    edited February 2010
    So I have the 32-bit RC, and I get that this won't work. I bought the upgrade-version RTM of 64-bit pro, though. So to do a clean install, do I have to first reinstall a 64-bit xp or vista, or will 32-bit work? I don't have a 64-bit xp/vista key...
    edited February 2010
    If you want to do a clean install, you don't need to do anything special, as I understand it; just install it and go.

If you can't, the old workaround was to install it as a trial, then "upgrade" it to the final version. If you had a legit XP or Vista license, that's a reasonable route to take.
  • edited February 2010
    Most everything seems to have worked. Windows has taken it upon itself to lock some files and folders, including access to World of Warcraft. All the other installed programs that I've check still work, but this one has been denied, and I can't it unlocked. Any ideas?
  • edited February 2010
    wow, it's early, I guess. Ignore my typos, please.
  • edited February 2010
    Ok, I seem to have figured out, finally, how to change my permissions, after much trial and error. I have regained access to the locked folders. I still, however, don't understand why it did this. I guess everything now seems to be working as intended. Thanks for the work around!
  • edited February 2010
    Thanks Thrax ...
    Everything works fine!!
    From Win 7 RC to Win 7 Ultimate Retail...
    One tip:
    If you have installed any laguage pack...you will be obligate to install the version in English and after the complete installation, add the pack again...

Thanks everybody!!

Edison from Brazil.
  • edited February 2010
    I confirm this tutorial working for downgrading a german version of the rc to an official german home premium system builder version. update process took 5 hours. Althouh german version "HOMEPREMIUM" as EditionID needed to be entered.
    Thanks for this tutorial
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Thanks for the tip for our german readers, Josef :)
  • edited February 2010
    Maybe I missed it, but I do not see anywhere that the type of W7 disk to be used is specified. Is it upgrade, upgrade from say W7 HP to W7 Pro, or is it the full retail disk. Thanks
    edited February 2010
    Doesn't matter. :)
  • edited February 2010
    all my base are belong to you!

This is absolutely fantastic! I haven't tried it yet, but have 3 machines to upgrade before 3/1. This will save my weekend.

I genuflect multiple times in your general direction!
  • edited February 2010
    Thanks so much for this "fix". Worked like a charm. Upgraded from RC to Windows 7 Home Premium. Will be using this much more in the next few days I'm sure.
  • edited February 2010
    The process worked smooth as silk. I upgraded to the OEM Windows 7 Ultimate from the RC and everything is crystal clear. Thanks for the article Thrax, you're a life saver.
  • edited February 2010
    Will this work with specific upgrade discs? I have a Dell upgrade disc that says "Windows Vista Business to Windows 7 Professional". I installed the RC on a clean hard drive. Thanks for any help you can provide!
    edited February 2010
    It's impossible to know, kcgromit, as we can't tell if the Dell disc is an original Windows 7 DVD with different labeling, or a custom disc.
  • edited February 2010
    Thanks for the response, Thrax. If it is an original Windows 7 DVD, would it work?
    edited February 2010
    Yes indeed. :)
  • edited February 2010
    Just tried this on an asia-pacific OEM. (Home Prem). Flawless. thank you.

8)
  • edited February 2010
    THRAX / mr. Hallock....thank you very much bro....it worked for me.....

but just wondering, did i really need to change the MinClient into 7077.0 , if i have a full Windows 7 Ultimate DVD, to actually upgrade from RC 7100 to final retail version. I didn't try it...so i'm not sure......Anyways thanks again!!
  • edited February 2010
    What i meant is i have not tried upgrading without changing the cversion.ini file.
This discussion has been closed.