Securing a Wireless Network?

edited March 2010 in Science & Tech
I have a linksys WRT160N v2
I am having problems with people connecting to my wireless network even though I have an allow mac filter, a 15 character password, a spoof checker and a few other security settings.
Any suggestions on how I can tighten down the security even more other then going completely wired, cause that won't work in the dorm I live in with lots of people and a few in different places.

Is there some program that you can figure out whose mac address is being spoofed? A program that will show how many connections there are on each mac address/computer name/ip address?

Thanks, Sniper

Comments

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    The only suggestions I have they you may have already done would be to not broadcast your SSID, turn off remote administration (if you need to be able to do this remotely, setup up your PC with a screensharing service like TeamViewer or GoToMyPC), make sure your passphrase is mixed alpha-numeric-special and long (good that you already have a long one, and you are using WPA [2] right?!?!), mac filter is good (ensure you are ONLY allowing the entered mac addresses, and you could change your own mac addresses but that is not a good or permanent fix)

I don't know of any programs which can identify unique computers by scanning MAC addresses, but I'm also not a security expert. I hope some of this was helpful.

Edit: Kismet has some intrusion-detection options, but I didn't get too far into the documentation regarding it. http://www.kismetwireless.net/ (click docs, section 12)
  • edited March 2010
    What exactly does hiding the SSID do if the network is still visible to everyone, but just says SSID not broadcast or something like that?

Ya Im using WPA2, Im only allowing, but mac spoofing can get around that if they know one of the MACs on my list. Not sure exactly how to turn off the administration thing.

I will check on that link thanks.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    If you're using WPA2, any additional security settings are pointless. WPA2 cannot be cracked at this time.
  • clifford_cooleyclifford_cooley Arkansas, USA Member
    edited March 2010
    If I didn't live in BFE, I might would upgrade from my WPA WiFi card and router. But then again, I'm not a large target for hackers either.
  • edited March 2010
    Can XP connect to WPA2?
    I still want to know what hiding the SSID does for security.

Any free easy to use with windows intrusion detection programs?
    edited March 2010
    Hiding the SSID makes the network invisible. You have to know the SSID and enter it manually to connect to the network.

Yes, XP can connect to WPA2.

No, there are no free easy-to-use intrusion detection programs. Nor is it worth it to run one.

If you have WPA2, your network is completely and impenetrably safe from drive-by attackers.
  • edited March 2010
    Thanks for all of your replies and clearing up some of my security questions
  • joec369joec369 Greensboro, NC
    edited March 2010
    Yeah I agree WPA2 with a good passphrase, use number, letters and capital letters.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    Thrax wrote:
    Hiding the SSID makes the network invisible. You have to know the SSID and enter it manually to connect to the network.

Yes, XP can connect to WPA2.

No, there are no free easy-to-use intrusion detection programs. Nor is it worth it to run one.

If you have WPA2, your network is completely and impenetrably safe from drive-by attackers.

Unless they gain your credentials through social engineering. Thats what the real hackers do.
    edited March 2010
    Most would argue that social engineering isn't real hacking. ;)
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    If you're using WPA2 with a MAC filter and a decent passphrase, then people are attaching to your network by giving out their credentials and cloning each other's MACs.

As Thrax stated. To date, WPA2 is uncrackable (won't be forever, though), and the only security measure you need outside of keeping the ID safe.

If people are getting through WPA2 AND a MAC filter (which most, including myself, will profess is unnecessary), then you've got another issue.

Are you running the default Linksys firmware?

If not, is it possible that there's a secondary, virtual network that has lower security (many 3rd party firmwares allow for additional virtual networks with different security) configured?
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    Thrax wrote:
    Most would argue that social engineering isn't real hacking. ;)

If it works, it works.....

As the defense protocols become more effective, social engineering is going to be the only way to hack. Point being, as long as there is a credential that is not 100% unique to the intended user (like a finger print or eye scan), then your not 100% bullet proof.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    hidden SSIDs and MAC filtering are both red herrings. Any decent hacker can get your SSID and MAC address in a few seconds with some sniffing software. It's then trivial to spoof their MAC address and your router would never know. WEP encryption is also a joke, a script kiddie can crack it in under 5 minutes without breaking a sweat. As Thrax said, use WPA2 (or WPA mixed mode) encryption. TKIP+AES if your router supports it. Don't sweat the other stuff as it's useless.