OC an Intel mobo

scottscott Medina, Ohio Icrontian
edited December 2003 in Hardware
Hi guys

Keep in mind I know nothing about oc'ing.... I have an Intel D875PBZLK mobo with an 3.0 P4HT . And as we all know Intel feels there bios settings are what you should use , so they lock you out of all the good stuff. And running at 3ghz with a 800 fsb should make most anyone happy right ? I was ..until I started hanging out here:doh: You guys are bad. So anyway I was in the bios yesterday messing with ram timmings..( Couldn't get them to run at anything but loose 2.5 3 3 8 ) and was looking at a screen called "Burn-In Mode " with choices of -1 -2 +1 +2 +3 and +4% . So I picked +4% and rebooted and started both fah clients. They have been running stable for about 20 hours now, both have turned in units and started new ones (no errors ) Is this possibly a way around intels lock out ? Is this safe ? Am I missing the big picture ? Frame times on the WU dropped from 11min 50 sec. to 10:19 per frame.

Voltages in MBM have remained constant.
CPU temp went up to 44C from 42C
Check the following screenie and let me know if this is bad.

Thanks

Scott

Comments

• NoFutureNoFuture In a 3D world...
    edited December 2003
    Looks like this function gave you 8fsb more and this seems to be as high as your bios can go. Keep in mid that intel mobos are no way meant for OCing. You only option I guess is to try to find a custom bios for your board but this is risky...
  • edited December 2003
    There are mods you can do to the board utilizing hard-wiring the board for voltage mods among other things but as it can fry everything in your board and/or attatched to your board I wouldn't suggest it.
    If you really want to squeze more out of your proc. I'd suggest getting an IS7 or IC7 Max3 Abit board and selling the Intel board.
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited December 2003
    Also Intel locks the multipliers on its chips (AMD has recently started doing this. Boo. Hiss.) you can only up the FSB to overclock. Thing is, with a chip that has a 15 multiplier (200*15=3GHz) that severely limits how far you can push your FSB w/out your chip becoming unstable. If you had a 2.4GHz or 2.6GHz p4 (800MHz FSB variety) then you'd have much more headroom in the CPU and could crank the FSB up.

Of course, all this talk about raising the FSB requires you to purchase a motherboard that allows for more extreme overclocks than a paltry 4%. Considering you're probably not going to reach much more than 3.4GHz-3.6GHz w/out some high-end cooling I don't think it's worth it to purchase a new motherboard (and possibly new RAM too).
  • DogSoldierDogSoldier The heart of radical Amish country..
    edited December 2003
    I've never used an Intel board, but I understand they are very stable at their default settings. I have a 2.4c on a Asus P4P800 Non-Deluxe and I get a 33% OC with it (3.185 Ghz)

On my 2.4g (533 FSB and everything else default) at work I can churn out a WU every 13-14.5 hours) My Home machine gets it done in 10-11 hours.

Madmat has good suggestions about the IC7 Max3 board. You should also look into getting some low latency PC 3500 RAM (3700 or 4000 is really overkill for a 3.0c) if you don't have any. Running the low latency RAM at 1:1 really improves performance on 865-875 chipsets.

edit// Man, I really need to update my sig...
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    Note on CPU. It can run at 48-49 C stably,you are well within CPU Overheat limits, WELL UNDER what it can run at.

Try 2.5, 3, 3, 7 or 2.5, 3, 3, 6. The middle ones should be ~1\2 (about 1\2) the last in the order you list them. I hope you are NOT running dual channel RAM,those RAM timings you have are more normal for dual channel and without a system with a mobo intended for it Dual Channel is useless on an Intel system. The last is a CPU wait spec the RAM expects in terms of time slices between requests, it could be with CPU spec stretched the way you did that the CPU does need to wait 8 time slices fo its time cycle between RAM cycles, but try lower timings and see what happens. Worst quick thing that might happen is a CMOS reset with battery jumper. You probbaly will not overheat RAM with either above RAM setting, though you might end up with a 2.7 or 2.8 voltage setting to get RAM stable at those given settings. I would not drop last spec more than down to 6 unless first spec can be 2 instead of 2.5.

Balancing act, with RAM settings. Better RAM will be CAS 2 instead of CAS 2.5 and then other settings -- especially last, can be lower. RAM will then run faster, bigger numbers mean slower running stick relative to CPU. Too big a last number setting, results in RAM waiting more than needed for CPU to send next flow of data or ask for data. Conflicts between what CPU wants and RAM expects causes timing interrelations problems, so you balance RAM and CPU rates.

John.
    edited December 2003
    I'm not positive, but I think Ageek said that unless your motherboard supports dual channel it is useless. That doesn't make sense because one cannot run RAM in dual channel mode unless the motherboard supports dual channel, therefore I must have misunderstood what John was saying.

Can you clarify, John?
  • scottscott Medina, Ohio Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    John I am running dual channel.

Would I be better off running single channel ?
    edited December 2003
    No!

Running in dual channel gives you twice the bandwidth that single channel does and since your FSB is QDR, you need dual DDR to match it.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    Scott,

Can you change the fsb at all on that mobo? (sorry if i missed it)
    What memory do you have? (sorry if i missed it)
  • SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited December 2003
    The P4C requires 6.4 GB/sec of memory bandwidth in order to function at peak performance levels. Only Dual-Channel DDR400 or higher can deliver this type of bandwidth. If you run that P4C in Single-Channel mode, which can only deliver half the needed bandwidth (@ DDR400), the P4C will be starved for data, causing a severe system slow-down.

Dual-Channel memory is a necessity for today's high-bandwidth P4C processors.

Your P4C 3.0 (200x15) should be good for 3.3-3.6, depending on the stepping and core revision. However, with that Intel board the most you'll ever get is that extra 4% "Burn-In." A Springdale Motherboard (ie the Asus P4P800 or ABIT IS7) would do wonders for your machine if you plan on overclocking.

Scott, 44*C is fine for a P4. Don't worry about the temperatures. :)

Intel's desktop motherboards only allow that 4% "Burn In" to help system integrators burn the system in, by overclocking the unit slightly for the first 24 hours. You can run it at that "Burn In" level for days and still be 100% stable, as that Intel motherboard is stable as hell. There is no way around that lockout and there is no way around changing the memory speed, voltage or any of the fun stuff associated with overclocking. :)
  • scottscott Medina, Ohio Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    Actually that is why I went with the intel board...Stability...I blame all these notions of oc'ing on you guys !! LOL

When I installed my new vidio card today I put it back yo default. Just a plain old 3.0 ghz with 800fsb. Considering this machine was a step up from a 800mhz P3 I am really happy ! I was just curious really.
    Thanks guys !!

Scott