Opinion on new mouse & keyboard

floppybootstompfloppybootstomp Greenwich New
edited March 2010 in Hardware
Hi all, long time no post but I'm still alive :D

Really would apreciate any feedback from folk on this one :)

In my bedroom I have two computers sharing a monitor via vga/dvi inputs. They each have their own keyboard & mouse. Audio from both is plugged into a hi-fi system centred around a Pioneer A400 amplifier.

One of the machines is an old socket A machine which I use mostly to play old games on in Win 98 like Quake, Hexen II, Nocturne, Shadowman and other games from that era.

I'm using a Logitech cheapie wireless mouse/keyboard combo with it atm but they really aren't very good at all for fps's so I figure I'll upgrade them.

I've done a lot of browsing and decided to try something different from my usual Logitech choices and would apreciate anybody's opinion on these two:

Roccat Arvo Gaming Keyboard

Steel Series Kinzu Gaming Mouse

These peripherals don't have to be state of the art as I don't game online with this machine and all the games are old games. In fact the keyboard for the price is probably something of an extravagence but I'm curious and the compact size is a bonus.

I have a couple of Logi G5's and a Logi G5 keyboard on other machines atm and I like Logitech a lot but would like to try something different.

I've tried a couple of Razer mice in the past and didn't get on with them at all.

I don't like Microsoft keyboards much compared to Logitech but I've no idea what their gaming mice are like.

I have two of These mousemats, one in each room which will be used with the new mouse.

So, any comments and opinions apreciated :)

Comments

• Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    I'm affraid I have not used the products you list.

I will say this, I know allot of guys on the board are ape for the high end logitech keyboards, but I don't care for all the bells and whistles, I want a keybaord that is durable and responsive, so this is what I use and love.

I use this OCZ mouse, Its not too shabby, especially considering I nabbed it for about $25.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    The Behemoth is pretty pro, indeed.

I'm jealous that you can order from Scan. :(

Keyboard's interesting, too, but I have no real impression of it.
  • SerpSerp Texas Member
    edited March 2010
    I have the Steelseries Xai which is like the big brother to the Kinzu. I can't comment on the tracking of the Kinzu because the Xai is laser while the Kinzu is optical but I can on the feel of it.

The shape is perfect in my opinion. It's similar to the Microsoft Intellimouse so if you've ever used one before and liked it the Kinzu will probably please you as well. The texture is also very nice, it's this nice soft rubbery feeling, not some hard slick plastic.
  • floppybootstompfloppybootstomp Greenwich New
    edited March 2010
    I've posted this in several places and the replies have been, uh.... interesting to say the least.

Not much positive said about my choices, have to say.

Cliff: Can't find a supplier for that keyboard in the UK, which is a shame cos it looks great.

I'll be quite honest, right now I'm leaning towards a Logitech G11 keyboard and a Logitech MX518 mouse or maybe a Logitech G500 mouse to replace a G5 mouse and use the old G5 on the Win 98 machine.

Still, I'm glad I asked about this (posted this on a total of 3 forums), it's been interesting.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    I've posted this in several places and the replies have been, uh.... interesting to say the least.

Not much positive said about my choices, have to say.

Cliff: Can't find a supplier for that keyboard in the UK, which is a shame cos it looks great.

I'll be quite honest, right now I'm leaning towards a Logitech G11 keyboard and a Logitech MX518 mouse or maybe a Logitech G500 mouse to replace a G5 mouse and use the old G5 on the Win 98 machine.

Still, I'm glad I asked about this (posted this on a total of 3 forums), it's been interesting.

Logitech makes high quality stuff. I have an old MX mouse that has held up great, and I have used various other products. I think the keyboards are nice, they just have various features that I don't bother with, like macros and that sort of thing, plus, I like mechanical keys. Loud, and responsive, but thats not to say the Logitech is not a great option.

Funny thing is, there was a life article on companies with great customer service and Logitech was consistently mentioned.
  • floppybootstompfloppybootstomp Greenwich New
    edited March 2010
    In the end I went with the Logitech G500 mouse and a Saitek Eclipse II keyboard.

Both of these items I purchased from PC World from their 'Collect-in-store' online ordering service.

The main reason I went with these choices was PC World, unusually, had priced them very competitively, £43.00 for the mouse and £30.00 for the keyboard.

I'm very happy with both purchases, especially the G500, it's really quite fantastic :)

In fact I put the G500 on my main machine and the Win 98 machine now has the G5 that came off of it.

Was a helluva job, incidentally, to get the USB G5 to work in Win 98 but that's par the course for a 12-year-old OS I suppose.

To those who replied, thanks for feedback, apreciated.