CoreStatus = 63 (99)

13»

Comments

• csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    Ok ...I'm kicking this around since soon might be a good time to take the plunge into a new video card.

How about this one? Seems like a good price point.
    XFX GX260XADJC GeForce GTX 260 896MB 448-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card - Retail
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    If that is what you are planning on using for a main video card and folding is just a secondary function. You will be looking at a fairly solid 6k ppd with that card and some serious gaming potential. For 200$ that is a good buy for that level of a card, TigerDirect has it for a few less dollars mainly because of free shipping.

As a pure folding item you are right at where the 9800GX2 is and that is 8-9k ppd currently at stock and with a mild OC on both cores it holds a solid 9k.
    edited March 2010
    Oh now wait a second. I just realized my PCI Express x16 limitation.
    edited March 2010
    Do you mean 1.0, 1.1, or 2.0 because if you just mean PCI-E 16x that is every PCI-E
    edited March 2010
    It's about a 4 or 5 year old board I guess. Abit AT8-32X. I assume PCI-E 16x 1.0 because I think that was all that was around at the time. The User's Manual is no help either.
    edited March 2010
    You would most likely need to do a full upgrade or the 260 might tank some of your performance. I ran into issues slapping a 8800GT G92 into my a8r-32mvp that was running a 4200+ x2 and ddr. I had to crank the heck out of the ddr to get similar and slightly better performance compared to my 1900xt.
    edited March 2010
    Any idea why the system gets taxed so hard from CUDA gpu's? Where is your 8800 GT now?
    Aparantly it's not a power issue because even the GTX 285 is rated for 550W.
    edited March 2010
    That 88GT is in my file server with an Intel board that uses a 915 chipset and ddr2-800. It does nothing besides files and some times a game server.

I believe it has less to do with CUDA GPUs and more of the issues you see with high end SLi set-ups. When you move from the old 1xxx and 7xxx series GPUs to something like the 8xxx G92 series you get a massive overhaul of core structure and they can process much more data then their previous generations. When they do not get close to enough data shipped to their units in time the frame rates stutter/drop. It was partly that the RAM in my system wasn't able to run fast enough ship data around because once I got my RAM up around 470MHz effective everything ran really smooth. Also I get the same thing with my quad-SLi needing a really fast quad just to not be hindered by the amount of GPU power; plus a massive resolution to boot.

This is just my opinion but if you do some checking on tri and quad-SLi set-ups they all say the same thing that a large rez is REQUIRED, an extremely fast processor, as well as most effects maxed. It is not exactly the same as what we are talking about but it is something to look into since some times they try and talk about why FPS drops heavily at low rez and settings compared to say even a single card from the set-up.

You could simply order the card and see how it works out and if it doesn't just work on ordering stuff. If you have some kind of budget I wouldn't mind trying to go scurrying around trying to find something to work. Just options.
    edited March 2010
    I'm seriously thinking about trying something but I don't know what. If I end up having to upgrade to a newer system I want at least a gts 250. I just wish I knew how to figure the threshold of this system per CUDA cores.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    Why don't you open a new thread on the topic of a new build for maximizing Folding.
    edited March 2010
    Leonardo wrote:
    Why don't you open a new thread on the topic of a new build for maximizing Folding.
    I would Leo but I just bought one of these today and soon I'll be getting one of those. Also I promised the family a vacation this year. I'd like to try and push what I have to near limits for now. Nice try though! ;D
    edited March 2010
    Leonardo wrote:
    On second thought what the heck. Someone called about drawing up some house plans yesterday so I may have some spending cash in the next few weeks/months.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    Look, I was not trying to get you to spend major dollars a new project. I was merely replying to this:
    I'm seriously thinking about trying something but I don't know what.
    Sorry, I inferred more than you meant.
    edited March 2010
    Leonardo wrote:
    Look, I was not trying to get you to spend major dollars a new project. I was merely replying to this: Sorry, I inferred more than you meant.

No need to apologize I see where you were coming from now that I re-read my post. It was high time I got educated on the latest hardware specs anyway ...at least I'm off to a start.

Thanks Leo! :thumbup
    edited March 2010
    csimon wrote:
    On second thought what the heck. Someone called about drawing up some house plans yesterday so I may have some spending cash in the next few weeks/months.

My client came in from offshore a day early and is supposed to call in the next few minutes to arrange a meeting point. Now I'm really looking forward to this.